Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ryandc99
This solidifies the decision I made to abandon AS and go back to Delta Diamond.

With very few domestic options unless you live in Seattle or commute to Seattle, this program no longer makes sense for me.
I abandoned AS this year and will be a DL Diamond by mid August. Live in the PBI area and not much of a choice.

DL is a fine airline operationally but their FF program leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:39 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
I abandoned AS this year and will be a DL Diamond by mid August. Live in the PBI area and not much of a choice.

DL is a fine airline operationally but their FF program leaves a lot to be desired.
That is the biggest challenge I have as well with the FF program. But anymore, I need to get from A-B in a timely manner. I typically pay for business/first class fares, so DL by far has the best value in the premium cabin compared to AA/UA. This only cements my decision that moving back to DL diamond was the right choice.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wasn't the problem with the AS program for those not based in AS strongholds that you would need too many carriers on an award ticket when the domestic connecting segments were counted?

It's surprising as many people expected AS and AA to get closed after the divorce of DL and AS (and later DL's refusal to interline with AA). However, with AS breaking up with DL and now AA, could it be that the problem wasn't so much that DL doesn't play well with others but perhaps that AS has problems maintaining relationships with bigger and stronger airlines?
We will never know how it all went down but there is no evidence of what you are asking in the last sentence that I am aware of.
On the surface I tend to think it is the larger airlines who are doing this to supress a smaller airlines growth. Again no evidence of this either.

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 6, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
The irony is that Alaska had finally earned my loyalty enough to deal with flying AA for the gaps, even when it was annoying, and now that loyalty is worthless.
Honestly, in today's environment, I'm not sure why anyone would grant an airline "loyalty."

Though disappointing, I don't really find this surprising at all. The trend in US airlines is pretty well established at this point and that trend ain't up...

Regards
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It's surprising as many people expected AS and AA to get closed after the divorce of DL and AS (and later DL's refusal to interline with AA). However, with AS breaking up with DL and now AA, could it be that the problem wasn't so much that DL doesn't play well with others but perhaps that AS has problems maintaining relationships with bigger and stronger airlines?
If I was a bigger and stronger airline, I think a great way to keep a growing carrier at bay than not playing with them at all. I can see why DL and AA may not want to partner with AS anymore, its one way to stifle growth or pilfer passengers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
ouch. this is going to seriously hurt me.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The new redemption rates do suck, but the increments seem to be in the spirit of bringing it more in line with AA's own redemption charts.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I have some real mixed feelings on this. On one hand I hate losing options, yet being based in the PNW I almost never fly AA. On the positive side this may really thin the ranks of elites who don't fly AS much or simply use AS as a mileage bank.

For anyone in or who connects through an AS hub, is west coast based, or who already flies AS/VX I don't see this having a huge impact.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ryandc99
This solidifies the decision I made to abandon AS and go back to Delta Diamond.

With very few domestic options unless you live in Seattle or commute to Seattle, this program no longer makes sense for me.
+1, though i would say that folks in San Diego, PDX, and ANC are still on the up and up as well. Still, this is an enormous blow to the competitiveness of the AS program. Unfortunately, it's going to result in further swelling of the DL elite ranks, which are already hyper-bloated.

I was going to let my AS credit card renew one more time this year, but not anymore. I will cancel it as soon as I spend my current companion fare, and then apply for the DL reserve card.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Is there a current list of codeshare flights somewhere?

Although, without any hard data, it often seems like the price for the AS codeshare is higher than the AA coded price.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
+1, though i would say that folks in San Diego, PDX, and ANC are still on the up and up as well. Still, this is an enormous blow to the competitiveness of the AS program. Unfortunately, it's going to result in further swelling of the DL elite ranks, which are already hyper-bloated.

I was going to let my AS credit card renew one more time this year, but not anymore. I will cancel it as soon as I spend my current companion fare, and then apply for the DL reserve card.
You're not kidding on the bloated part of DL's FF program.
As a PLAT based in PBI and connecting via ATL I am about 6 complimentary upgrades in 68 segments.
It's brutal and not sure it will improve much as a Diamond based on where I travel to.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hey AS refugees, please don't come over to DL. We already have too many elites and too many with lounge access. Move to AA instead; I'm told that people really like EXP.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Ouch. This makes Mileage Plan no longer viable as a primary program for those of us based outside the west coast. I guess that's probably the idea: AA would rather have me, as a PHL-based flyer, credit to AA and only use AS when I'm going to places I can't get on AA alone, and the way the partnership will now be structured, I'll be able to do that. Instead, I've been doing the reverse: crediting everything to AS and using AS whenever possible (which is a fair fraction of my trips) and using AA only when I'm not flying to the Northwest/west coast. That's worked very well for me for a few years now. AS probably sees it the same way: they'd rather have AA loyalists based in the Northwest use AS as their primary program. The flip side is that this change is as likely to drive SEA-based AA loyalists (if there are any) to DL as to AS.

Fortunately, I personally will be moving to the Northwest before the end of the year, so I won't be forced to go back to AAdvantage.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Originally Posted by apodo77

In the same boat, however I still try to credit any flight to Alaska whenever possible as their award miles are infinitely more valuable than any of the big 3 FF programs.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Based in AK and as a 75K and 1MM on AS, this still has an impact. There will be cases where I choose to fly different carriers based on price. AS has been great for me, but I will be shopping more and (probably) using other carriers. I suspect this will be more the case for people with low or no status. Price will beat everything else and AS is quite often much higher priced than others.

AA & DL fly places I have to go to and back of the bus middle seat is not an attractive option.......They both fly from ANC with some frequency that I can use and I will pay a bit more to fly them in a comfortable seat, closer to the front of the plane.

And the AC & BR tie in staying in place does nothing for me. It may be good for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.