Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Phantom Award Availability - Multiple partners

Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I know we have the EK phantom availability thread but it's much worse. I tried KE, KE/JL & JL awards and all three failed with the phantom space errors, tried different days as well. Some other reports of HU failure. I can barely find any advance QF awards (havent tried to confirm what I did see close in incl nearly impossible TPAC F

I did have one success a few days ago with FJ. Any other successful web partner booking out there recently? My only guess is none of the parthers want to play nice was AS anymore since they are selling points too cheap now.

Both Errors on all reservation attempts:

The request was not successful. See the red message(s) below. Space on partner flights cannot be confirmed. Please change the dates, cities, or flights of your original request.

To continue, shop again for other fare and flight options.If this problem continues, please call 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522) for other fare and flight options.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:32 am

The story that AS has partner mileage awards available is quickly becoming a work of fiction.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
The story that AS has partner mileage awards available is quickly becoming a work of fiction.
I just booked a 40000 RT award to Europe on AA and an intra Europe KL trip. Not a fiction, although of course they are not as abundant as we would like. I had to adjust my desired flight dates by one day.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Just successfully booked 2 Fs NRT-LAX for 7/18.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:41 pm

I recently booked 2xF SFO-HND on JL at the 330 window for May 2018. Two separate reservations actually, one is a back up date.

This morning, I added HND-BKK to my reservation via phone agent. The AS website as well as BA showed 2 seats in J. The partner desk agent originally said only Y seats were available. After pressing a bit saying the website shows J availability, he said he would try and 'grab the seats from the JAL website' and came back successfully adding them to my reservation within a minute.

It makes me think that a lot of the issue, at least with JL, that it is AS website/IT that is preventing bookings.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I booked a KE award online yesterday and it succeeded. Multiple attempts made a couple of weeks ago failed so there has been some improvement at least for KE.

I do not think the issue has anything to do with AS selling points. Why would multiple partners decide to dump on AS all at once? It does not add up. My suspicion is that it is an IT problem on AS's side since other partners have not reported issues.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Definitely "phantom" awards showing up (at least for intl travel). Main point: you need to call the Partner Desk to see if space is really there. The agents tell me they have an internal system that shows the real situation, or they call the partner airline for true info.

DO NOT rely on what shows up online, other than as a guide. You can find out if it's really there only by buying it, or by calling the Desk.

Agents tell me AS is "working on it."

I have seen listed a miles trip from PHL-LHR (business) on a BA flight that does not even operate (per BA schedule). Called Partner Desk to confirm. Then I was looking for Business seats on FI (IcelandAir), ZRH-KEF-SEA on one specific day. There would be availability - till I tried to buy it. Then the "1620" error. Later (same day) it would be offered as mixed cabin - but not really there (per call to Partner desk). The next day, NO space showing for the travel date (not even coach). The next day, BC available again (and I bought it via Desk). All weird.

Kind of like the old days: keep calling partner desk if you want to get space. Too bad online system not working better.

As to agents working the P Desk, one told me that all agents now get training for partner and standard business. No more dedicated partner agents? That may be why, when I call the Gold Partner Desk special number, the auto voice says "how can I help you?" System does not assume I want the Partner Desk even though I called its number. Hmmmm.

Beware: agent familiarity with Partner awards can vary. I talked to one who couldn't pronounce "Zurich". Others are super. But that I had to call so many times tells the story in other words.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by akdancer
As to agents working the P Desk, one told me that all agents now get training for partner and standard business. No more dedicated partner agents? That may be why, when I call the Gold Partner Desk special number, the auto voice says "how can I help you?" System does not assume I want the Partner Desk even though I called its number. Hmmmm.

Beware: agent familiarity with Partner awards can vary. I talked to one who couldn't pronounce "Zurich". Others are super. But that I had to call so many times tells the story in other words.
True on both counts. And I can't pronounce all the city names I want to visit either. That's why I rely on the airport codes
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:24 am

Good point on airport codes.

And a minor update - I happened to call the standard number for MVP/G about a Partner issue. Agent had to transfer me to the "right dept" - so maybe they are not all trained on Partner matters?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist

And a minor update - I happened to call the standard number for MVP/G about a Partner issue. Agent had to transfer me to the "right dept" - so maybe they are not all trained on Partner matters?
There's a separate Partner Award desk.
MapMan25 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
There's a separate Partner Award desk.
Which is why when i'm looking for Cathay as an example. I always say i'm calling to book a Cathay Pacific awards and I am always transferred. Technically all reps can help with booking the airlines on the web but sometime you may get transferred if its an existing reservation.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:42 am

I know there used to be one. Do we know for sure it's still operating as a separate unit? I ask, based on what agents told me (see earlier posts).

I have been wondering about a larger question: when "features" are added, there's usually some ballyhoo - when they disappear, not so much. Example: Gold Lunches.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
every time i call and ask to be transferred to the partner desk, the agent says "i am the partner desk"

a few times i've called and asked to start booking a CX or LAN award ticket and i'm proactively transferred to someone else

who knows
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
every time i call and ask to be transferred to the partner desk, the agent says "i am the partner desk"

a few times i've called and asked to start booking a CX or LAN award ticket and i'm proactively transferred to someone else

who knows
One time I called in and told the the rep I was calling about a partner award, so she transferred me. This rep then transferred me to a third rep after I said it was CX.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:06 am

I tried to book a Virgin America first class award and it too is 'phantom' availability. Website shows it is available but when they request it, the request comes back from VX as not available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.