Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I don't think it's penny pinching so much as that QX basically has not undergone serious growth in many years. Yes, starting RJ pilots are very underpaid, but that is industry-wide. As regionals go, Horizon doesn't pay badly. If Horizon hadn't been retraining a bunch of q400 pilots to fly new E175 routes, this wouldn't be nearly as bad. The issue seems to be hiring and training not keeping up with retirements during a period of sustained growth. For years, Qx has been basically the same size (52 q400s) and they even shrunk somewhat after retiring the CRJ-700 flying 7-8 years ago. Remember there were about 20 CRJs in the fleet at one point after most q400s were already delivered, so juggling two fleet types is not a novel thing at QX.
I never suggested it was "penny pinching." The reality is the new pilots for mainline jets generally will come from the regional airlines. So Horizon is unlikely to retain its staff into perpetuity anyway. But the issue is one we could see months ago.....as Alaska ramped up, they knew the pipeline did not have the pilots, and now its reached critical mass. While its good they stepped back, maybe the whole idea of focusing so much on the new acquisition burned the existing routes for now.

I also don't think its penny pinching...I see they are paying 200% overtime right now....that's not pinching pennies....what Alaska needs to do is start poaching from competitors to help free some of this up.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Programs like this one really benefits mainline and exacerbates the hiring/retention problem for regionals.
It gets worse than guaranteed interviews. In the link above, it states AS guarantees at least 1/3 of their annual new hires will be from QX.

On the other hand, while not great for long term staffing, it can be a recruiting tool to get pilots into the door at QX in the first place versus another regional. Really, the pay structure incentivizes pilots to either move up to captain positions or to AS. First officer pay progression is essentially flat.

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
what Alaska needs to do is start poaching from competitors to help free some of this up.
Hah! My last AA flight was sitting next to a pilot reviewing training material on his tablet. He'd just moved to AA from QX.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:26 pm

I never suggested it was "penny pinching." The reality is the new pilots for mainline jets generally will come from the regional airlines. So Horizon is unlikely to retain its staff into perpetuity anyway. But the issue is one we could see months ago.....as Alaska ramped up, they knew the pipeline did not have the pilots, and now its reached critical mass. While its good they stepped back, maybe the whole idea of focusing so much on the new acquisition burned the existing routes for now.

I also don't think its penny pinching...I see they are paying 200% overtime right now....that's not pinching pennies....what Alaska needs to do is start poaching from competitors to help free some of this up.
Sorry, I was trying to quote two different posts on my smartphone and somehow ended up only getting yours in the quotation, so I was not trying to suggest you said anything about penny pinching.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
It gets worse than guaranteed interviews. In the link above, it states AS guarantees at least 1/3 of their annual new hires will be from QX.

On the other hand, while not great for long term staffing, it can be a recruiting tool to get pilots into the door at QX in the first place versus another regional. Really, the pay structure incentivizes pilots to either move up to captain positions or to AS. First officer pay progression is essentially flat.

Hah! My last AA flight was sitting next to a pilot reviewing training material on his tablet. He'd just moved to AA from QX.
Yet he passed up Alaska after being a member of its AAA team., so to speak. Gotta wonder what happened there. Seems to me that Alaska's expansion offers a lot of future potential for upward mobility....
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Seems to me that Alaska's expansion offers a lot of future potential for upward mobility....
It may be nothing more than he wants to fly heavy jets or fly to international destinations. AS is limited in what it can offer.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yet he passed up Alaska after being a member of its AAA team., so to speak. Gotta wonder what happened there. Seems to me that Alaska's expansion offers a lot of future potential for upward mobility....
Perhaps. AA on the other hand has a much larger network with more international flying & pilot bases in more locations.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:59 pm

The problem is the 1500 hour rule. In the past a regional could hire a commercial pilot to fly the right seat (with Multi Engine/IFR) who had 250 hrs of experience. Now the rule is 1500.

Much harder to find as fresh pilot trainees have to fly a 3rd tier (likely cargo or flight instructor) to get those 1500 hrs.

As for QX retiring the Q400s, think again, ain't going to happen. The Q400s cost per ASM is much lower than the E175, and you'll see Q400s flying everything under 400ish miles from now until the cows come home.

The 175s are to fly the long-thin routes, where they can't fill a 737, but the route is more than a couple of hours in a Q400. The 175s allows them to fly to the Oklahomas and Milwaukees of the world, without having to commit a 737.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CZBB
As for QX retiring the Q400s, think again, ain't going to happen.
Maybe just a part, but for some reason I feel like I saw something that indicates QX intends to downside the Q400 fleet down to 37 or something.

Not a full retirement, but I think they see the E175 is a better plane to fly the California routes and the other long/thin routes where it would take 30-60 minutes longer each way to accomplish in a Q400.

QX also has 2 Qs on order with Bombardier -- no clue if they intend to replace the older ones with these two or if the order will be cancelled.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Maybe just a part, but for some reason I feel like I saw something that indicates QX intends to downside the Q400 fleet down to 37 or something.
As I recall QX has a number of Q400 leases that end this year or next and they will be returning them at the end of the lease period. As stated before the plan was to have the Q's do the 400 mile or less routes while the E175 replaced them on 400+ mile routes and also opened up some new longer routes to the midwest and Mexico.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by CZBB
As for QX retiring the Q400s, think again, ain't going to happen. The Q400s cost per ASM is much lower than the E175, and you'll see Q400s flying everything under 400ish miles from now until the cows come home.

The 175s are to fly the long-thin routes, where they can't fill a 737, but the route is more than a couple of hours in a Q400. The 175s allows them to fly to the Oklahomas and Milwaukees of the world, without having to commit a 737.
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
As I recall QX has a number of Q400 leases that end this year or next and they will be returning them at the end of the lease period. As stated before the plan was to have the Q's do the 400 mile or less routes while the E175 replaced them on 400+ mile routes and also opened up some new longer routes to the midwest and Mexico.
And instead of putting the first E175s on those 400+ mile Q400 routes, they've used them entirely for expansion or replacing existing E175/737 flying. I guess until they start handing back Q400 next year, those routes will all stay Q400.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
And instead of putting the first E175s on those 400+ mile Q400 routes, they've used them entirely for expansion or replacing existing E175/737 flying. I guess until they start handing back Q400 next year, those routes will all stay Q400.
You are pretty much correct. I flew a QX E175 last month SEA-SFO which had been all 737 prior. I also think QX is doing the upcoming LAX-MEX flights.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
You are pretty much correct. I flew a QX E175 last month SEA-SFO which had been all 737 prior. I also think QX is doing the upcoming LAX-MEX flights.
I think one is a 737 the other an E175.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
I found this thread interesting, one of my gf's uncles was a pilot for QX. Perhaps he was let go simply because of the Alaska State budget problems, of course I don't know all the details. But then I was let go (engineering field for me), and naturally scoured all various postings in town and the valley and saw they were hiring a pilot based out of Anchorage for QX. This was months ago, but still relevant.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:25 am

I wouldn't plan on going to QX and being based at ANC. I believe junior pilots go to MRF and BOI. Additionally, the ANC has been really cut back and may not remain in short order.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:38 am

I wouldn't plan on going to QX and being based at ANC. I believe junior pilots go to MRF and BOI. Additionally, the ANC has been really cut back and may not remain in short order.
As much as they scaled QX back in ANC, you start to wonder if it's worth the effort to maintain a QX base for a few token FAI flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.