Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Have never seen before but AS apparently can waitlist for F on CX, and F cleared.

1 confirmed F, 1 J, waitlisted F. Now 2F in the same flight after 2 days. So yes, you can do 2F far out.
They can WL? That's big news, imo.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
So this is just CX releasing a F seat as it would normally and AS letting you "line up" in advance for it?
No, doesn't look like CX is releasing it as it would normally. This is not a close-in booking.

BA, AA all showed 1F, 4J. Had 2 separate F bookings but wanting to change the date to this flight because it's closer to the date we want. 1 booking confirmed to F, the other one is J but with F waitlisted. 2 days after the change, the second one is confirmed to F. At this point, AS reissue both tickets. So yes, it's possible to book 2 F far in advance with CX if the agent is willing and of course CX is willing to release to the waitlist that far in advance.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
No, doesn't look like CX is releasing it as it would normally. This is not a close-in booking.
How far out did you get the waitlist done?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
How far out did you get the waitlist done?
8 months.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
8 months.
Impressive. Very impressive. But not as impressive as the guy who got 2F at 330days haha.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:49 pm

BA, AA all showed 1F, 4J. Had 2 separate F bookings but wanting to change the date to this flight because it's closer to the date we want. 1 booking confirmed to F, the other one is J but with F waitlisted. 2 days after the change, the second one is confirmed to F. At this point, AS reissue both tickets. So yes, it's possible to book 2 F far in advance with CX if the agent is willing and of course CX is willing to release to the waitlist that far in advance.
How did you ask, can you describe the exchange with AS? Just spoke to a supervisor with partner desk. Assured me it isn't possible. So if you can add some detail, that would be great.

Perhaps it's because you had an F award already and wanted to change date? In my case I have J but want to get F on same flight/date.

Thanks for your input and effort - jamie
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eethan
I spoke with two agents who both claimed to be able to directly access the partner desk. Yet they couldn't see HKG-LAX on one day where BA showed 3 J seats and HKG-LAX on another day where BA showed 2 J seats. (They can see PY availability on those flights.) Update: Tried a 3rd date where BA is showing 3 J seats, and still nothing. They appear not to be able to see any of the flights departing late-afternoon and evening.

Would it help to call back after a couple of days? Any suggestions?
ditto on HKG-LAX F, although they did see next day's availability (but no help for me). This was the case even with supervisor manually grabbing seats. JL.com, BA.com, and QF.com all show 1F so I'm pretty sure it's legit and the issue is with AS.

Do we know for sure that CX doesn't give AS a separate fare bucket than oneworld partners, as in the case that Aer Lingus gives different availability to UA than BA (which seems well established)?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:34 pm

I just asked them to change the date and willing to downgrade from F to J. Nothing else. All the extra legwork are done by the agent. It just means they can do it. Don't know how they were able to do it which is why it's a surprise.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Same experience with PEY awards on CX. Could not select seats until check in opened at 48h. Calling them did not yield any more favorable outcome.

Originally Posted by pr09
Are there non-obvious rules about seat assignments in premium economy? I booked a one-way on CX in premium economy (T class, according to both AS and CX's sites), and the CX website won't let me pick a seat, even though it says

Do I just need to call Cathay, or do they not do seat assignments for non-J/F awards?

On the plus side, I got a stopover in SEA with no hassle.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
AS has a flawed process and system

They were finally able to "see" the J seats so I changed my booking again. They took a whole week to ticket. During that time, CX.com was giving a warning that the reservation wasn't ticketed. Also, AS.com was still showing my old AS ticket number.

Now the AS agent says there were some difficulties but the reservation is ticketed. However, the ticket number is no longer showing on the AS confirmation page. Last three times, AS agent told me I will get a confirmation email showing the flight changes. But I never got any confirmation email after the first one.

Now, Alaska's whole clumsy process leaves me with little faith that my reservation won't be canceled by accident. I had a tough time getting these seats on JNB-HKG-LAX, so would appreciate any advice:

- Does it look like they ticketed my reservation correctly?
- How do I auto-track my booking for next 10 months to alert me if something goes awry?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
How on earth can you know if you don't have the ticket numbers? Get them, if you have to call AS. Get the CX PNR. Then you should see things in CX's system or CheckMyTrip.com.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Is CX particularly stingy with YVR-HKG space, or are they all snapped up quickly? Checking 331 days out and there's nothing, but plenty out of LAX/SFO/JFK
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How on earth can you know if you don't have the ticket numbers? Get them, if you have to call AS. Get the CX PNR. Then you should see things in CX's system or CheckMyTrip.com.
Thanks for the tip on looking up my booking on Checkmytrip. Now I've pulled up my ticket #s and they're recognized by CX.com.

When I went to my AS reservation page, the CX Confirmation Code is also now gone. Seems like someone at AS missed something. How do I auto-track this booking now to make sure it doesn't get canceled later on?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Is CX particularly stingy with YVR-HKG space, or are they all snapped up quickly? Checking 331 days out and there's nothing, but plenty out of LAX/SFO/JFK
All of those markets have more daily frequencies than YVR, while YVR punches well above weight due to HK expats, so yes, YVR is a more difficult get.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
I just asked them to change the date and willing to downgrade from F to J. Nothing else. All the extra legwork are done by the agent. It just means they can do it. Don't know how they were able to do it which is why it's a surprise.
It's likely because your original redemption was for an F award (Z), if I'm reading your posts correctly. If a person is willing to redeem 70k for a J seat for the chance to waitlist to get into F, that's possible. We have also done that, though not recently. If one is expecting to redeem 60k for a J seat (and hope to waitlist for F), The AS Partner desk will not be able to waitlist you for an F seat.

In short, it's a 10k mileage gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.