Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AAdvantage miles for award on Alaska Airlines / AS

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3

Has Alaska Airlines started to restrict partner availability of saver award inventory or is the American Airlines website just not seeing it?

I see plenty of connecting awards(one AA segment one AS segment) on Alaska's website for 12.5k AS miles that I used to be able to book through American that I can't get the website to offer anymore.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Has Alaska Airlines started to restrict partner availability of saver award inventory or is the American Airlines website just not seeing it?

I see plenty of connecting awards(one AA segment one AS segment) on Alaska's website for 12.5k AS miles that I used to be able to book through American that I can't get the website to offer anymore.
Might help if you provided examples. Otherwise we're just guessing.

PS: VX segments are unbookable using AA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

This post ended up in the Alaska forum instead of American. This is really a AAdvantage question...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Might help if you provided examples. Otherwise we're just guessing.

PS: VX segments are unbookable using AA.
I'm looking at for example CLT -> SEA round trips 8/16/2017 to 8/19/2017. Several 12.5k options on Alaska's site.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you look at SFO-SEA 8/16 you will see a ton of AS availability at 5k/7.5k, and zero AA availability.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I just completed a search on aa.com for SFO-SEA and see 12.5K availability for every day but Aug 4.

Edited to add:
If you are just searching from the aa.com homepage, that search now defaults to AA flights only. You need to select advanced search and then select "All Airlines".
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-steps-2.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 28, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I just completed a search on aa.com for SFO-SEA and see 12.5K availability for every day but Aug 4.

Edited to add:
If you are just searching from the aa.com homepage, that search now defaults to AA flights only. You need to select advanced search and then select "All Airlines".
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-steps-2.html
Thanks, certainly a significant shift in default behavior. Glad to see these odd connections aren't dead! I've connected in OMA before from SEA to CLT, the AA gate agent was surprised my SEA issued AS ticket stock was valid.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Since this pertains to the American Airlines program, we will move it there.

Ryandc99, Moderator, Alaska Airlines
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:02 pm

Five months after the OP, I am repeating the same question. I am looking into SAN - BOS one way on April 9, 2018.

At Alaska, there are 7+ award seats. At AA.com, however, I can't find any AS award. Is this due to the new relationship between AS and AA? Or am I missing something? I selected all airlines instead of the default of American only.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by preppie
Five months after the OP, I am repeating the same question. I am looking into SAN - BOS one way on April 9, 2018.

At Alaska, there are 7+ award seats.
Uh, no. All the AS inventory is 20k AS miles one way. Won't show on AA.com. Has to be 12.5k.

Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Uh, no. All the AS inventory is 20k AS miles one way. Won't show on AA.com. Has to be 12.5k.
This is something I was completely clueless about. Thanks a lot for the info.

I see that there are 2 seats available at 12.5k only on April 11, which correctly show up at AA.com.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:11 am

AA.com vs Alaska award availability

I'm finding way more and better biz saver availability when looking on alaska's website than on AA.com. Can I book what I'm seeing on alaska's website with AA miles by calling AA, or might there actually be more availability with alaska miles that I can't get with AA Miles?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It would seem odd if AA awards have more availability with AS miles than with AA miles, since I assume they are the same booking class.
Of course, I have previously found differences between AA availability for miles versus Business Extraa points, not more or less (I didn't measure), but different
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dpakman91
or might there actually be more availability with alaska miles that I can't get with AA Miles?
If you're talking about all AA-operated segments, I would guess that is phantom availability - it won't be available when you call AA. It may be databases not syncing up. It may be AA applying married segment logic.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're talking about all AA-operated segments, I would guess that is phantom availability - it won't be available when you call AA. It may be databases not syncing up. It may be AA applying married segment logic.
it is both AA metal and partner availability. For example, on alaska, BOS-ORD-NRT flights are showing up that don't on AA.com, and also hainan flights are showing up that don't on AA.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.