Wiki Posts
Search

Santa Rosa (STS) Baggage Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:42 pm
zac
Original Poster

Santa Rosa (STS) Baggage Service

I just got off a flight from LAX-STS. A very small round of baggage came out in 10-15 minutes and about a dozen people were left waiting for their bags. After 30-40 minutes of waiting for a second round of bags, I called the the MVP line and was transferred to their baggage line. After another few minutes on hold an agent answered and tried to be helpful. However, she could not do much as she was unable to connect with anyone at the airport (she said the phone numbers she had did not work). I finally asked her to check on my bags in particular and she found they were still in LAX.

Aside from the problem that at STS there was not one Alaska person available to even confirm that no more bags were coming (nor is there status on the overhead monitor), a bigger issue is that the Alaska cannot even communicate with their personnel at the airport (mind you this was a weekday at 11am). Numerous passengers were left wondering where their bags were and had no one to turn to.

I had the agent forward my bags to my home and they should arrive later, but having to stand around and then call Seattle to find out my bags were in LAX seemed ridiculous. At the very least, someone could tell waiting passengers, "that's all the bags, please call # if your bags not here."

Also, does anyone know why Alaska cannot just tell people in advance through a text when their bags don't make a flight? They have the data. Or, perhaps allow passengers to scan or input their tags and get status on their own bags? I know, pie in the sky ideas...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by zac
Also, does anyone know why Alaska cannot just tell people in advance through a text when their bags don't make a flight? They have the data. Or, perhaps allow passengers to scan or input their tags and get status on their own bags? I know, pie in the sky ideas...
I don't think I'd advocate a proactive text if the bag isn't scanned onto the flight. Sometimes baggage handlers forget to scan a bag, or sometimes the barcodes aren't easily readable. It can be presumed to have not been loaded on the flight if it is neither scanned onto the plane nor off of the plane, but even then, it might still appear on the carousel.

I do wish AS would do what AA, UA, and DL already do and allow you to see the baggage tracking scans right in the app, but it's no secret around here what I think of AS's IT, especially for an airline that claims to be (and in a few areas, is) so progressive.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jackal
I do wish AS would do what AA, UA, and DL already do and allow you to see the baggage tracking scans right in the app, but it's no secret around here what I think of AS's IT, especially for an airline that claims to be (and in a few areas, is) so progressive.
UA has that? My last bag "lost" was on a United Express flight to a small outstation. Basically the exact same story as the OP (including me calling UA and them not being able to reach the station), and I couldn't find a tracking feature in the app when the bag no-showed and there was no one to ask if more bags would be coming.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Please follow up on this with AS customer relations. Call the number and tell the agent exactly what happened. There should always be personnel available to take lost luggage reports (no matter what time it is) and to collect any "unclaimed" luggage. It sounds like someone seriously dropped the ball at STS and AS needs to know.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
UA has that? My last bag "lost" was on a United Express flight to a small outstation. Basically the exact same story as the OP (including me calling UA and them not being able to reach the station), and I couldn't find a tracking feature in the app when the bag no-showed and there was no one to ask if more bags would be coming.
You might be right. I haven't flown UA in a couple of years but thought I had heard they added it. I must be misremembering.

IIRC, the old PMUA kiosks (since taken out) did let you see baggage tracking status, but that was never migrated over to the CO system or app and wasn't available when I flew them. I guess expecting them to put it in the app two years later was asking too much.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:47 pm

This would convince me to get some sort of RFID or other tracker if I had to routinely check bags! Then I could readily tell if the bag was at my arrival point or still at the origin airport.

Indeed, if the system was very accurate, I could tell before the plane left the origin airport whether the bag was right on the plane or further away.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zac

Aside from the problem that at STS there was not one Alaska person available to even confirm that no more bags were coming...
I haven't flown from STS but I'm guessing this is a station where the ticketing, GA, baggage handlers, and marshallers are all the same three or four(?) people and they were all out of the tarmac at that point?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
You might be right. I haven't flown UA in a couple of years but thought I had heard they added it. I must be misremembering.

IIRC, the old PMUA kiosks (since taken out) did let you see baggage tracking status, but that was never migrated over to the CO system or app and wasn't available when I flew them. I guess expecting them to put it in the app two years later was asking too much.
I used those kiosks at SFO a few times. Not as good as a mobile app feature, but was still useful. I really wish UA and AS would implement this in their apps. It's 2017! The iPhone is 10 years old (and I had other smartphones since the first Handspring Treo 15 years ago).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
You might be right. I haven't flown UA in a couple of years
Friends don't let friends fly Uncontinent
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 am
zac
Original Poster

I don't think I'd advocate a proactive text if the bag isn't scanned onto the flight. Sometimes baggage handlers forget to scan a bag, or sometimes the barcodes aren't easily readable. It can be presumed to have not been loaded on the flight if it is neither scanned onto the plane nor off of the plane, but even then, it might still appear on the carousel.
The above makes perfect sense. However as my bags have still not arrived I called for status and the agent told me that the bags and others were "pulled" from the flight. I'm guessing that would happen for weight issues (the flight was completely full)? Anyway, it seems Alaska knew of this in advance which makes the lack of service/presence at the airport even more ridiculous.

The good news is my bags are at STS and being dropped off shortly.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I haven't flown from STS but I'm guessing this is a station where the ticketing, GA, baggage handlers, and marshallers are all the same three or four(?) people and they were all out of the tarmac at that point?
Back in the day, they would put up a sign in the airport (usually at the ticketing desk or baggage office if avaiable) that explained that an agent will be available AFTER the outbound flight departs. I guess younger people don't know how to do such things .

Again, OP, please contact AS customer relations and let them know what happened.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yep, it's not a big AS station, to be sure. We've flown in and out of there several times and have been impressed with the ground staff.

Case in point: we recently checked in at STS following our birthday celebration the day before with friends who live in the area (my fiancée and I have the same birthday) and mentioned this to the ticket agent who also then served as the gate agent boarding the Q400. The result? When he announced boarding, he mentioned our birthdays over the PA and then called us to board first! Which we did to a sitting ovation by the other passengers.

So there are some very good QX/AS folks at STS; however, it appears it is a small staff.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Alaska already scans your bags along the journey. Im suspecting the project to mirror Delta & American was put on hold while the Alaska Sabre gurus work on the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.