Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Qantas lounge access coming for Alaska elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

This blog from today indicates Alaska elites will have access to Qantas lounges when flying on Qantas:

MVP Gold, 50K, and 75K members will be able to use the Qantas Clubs and International Business lounges on a Qantas service.
http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding...e-partnership/

No mention if top tier Alaska flyers will get into the first class international lounges at LAX or SYD - that would be something to cheer about (AA top tier flyers do have that level of access).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
This blog from today indicates Alaska elites will have access to Qantas lounges when flying on Qantas:

http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding...e-partnership/

No mention if top tier Alaska flyers will get into the first class international lounges at LAX or SYD - that would be something to cheer about (AA top tier flyers do have that level of access).
What is a "50K"?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
What is a "50K"?
The blogger is probably unaware that Alaska doesn't have a 50K level. AA does. He also does not know how to spell San Francisco.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
50K with Partners

The blogger is probably unaware that Alaska doesn't have a 50K level. AA does. He also does not know how to spell San Francisco.
While MVPG can be achieved at 40K if flown solely AS metal, MVPG requires 50K if some are credited from Partners. You reach MVPG Elite Status with whichever threshold you pass first. There is no requirement for any AS segments to achieve Elite Status. One return flight on BA in discounted F from YVR-CPT would give you MVP on the outbound and MVPG on the return even with Zero EQM. Safe to say the blogger was referring to mid-tier Gold.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
While MVPG can be achieved at 40K if flown solely AS metal, MVPG requires 50K if some are credited from Partners.

Forgot about the "Alaska and partners" tiers. Being that I just did a Qantas trip credited to Alaska last month, it's something I'm still new to. Already have 80K flown this year and about 1/3 is from partners.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Look at you go! 😁

Forgot about the "Alaska and partners" tiers. Being that I just did a Qantas trip credited to Alaska last month, it's something I'm still new to. Already have 80K flown this year and about 1/3 is from partners.
Congratulations on your progress, only 10K to go. I hit MVPG last month solely on AS. I have J flights on AA to Europe next week and a four country 10 segment AS Itinerary I booked with a Companion Code in October. Best use of a single GGU yet. SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR. Three countries, three flights, all connections <4Hrs so snagged the 5900+ miles in F with one GGU. 😁

Happy traveling.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
While MVPG can be achieved at 40K if flown solely AS metal, MVPG requires 50K if some are credited from Partners. You reach MVPG Elite Status with whichever threshold you pass first. There is no requirement for any AS segments to achieve Elite Status. One return flight on BA in discounted F from YVR-CPT would give you MVP on the outbound and MVPG on the return even with Zero EQM. Safe to say the blogger was referring to mid-tier Gold.
By that logic, they should have been consistent and said MVP Gold, 50K, 75K, and 90K members...(adding the partner threshold for 75K). Sloppy writing.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by flytoeat
By that logic, they should have been consistent and said MVP Gold, 50K, 75K, and 90K members...(adding the partner threshold for 75K). Sloppy writing.
Well, that assumes there is logic.

There are no "50K and 90K" separate "member" levels. You're either MVPG or MVPG75K.

And back to the OP, this is one of the items that I've been responding to in AS questionnaires - having more status benefits while flying on partners.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Here's the QF press release to tide you over until the Lounge pages get updated this week.

http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201706/0609

Last edited by missydarlin; Jun 20, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
This would be super exciting if I didn't have Oneworld Sapphire will come in handy next year when I lose it though
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Here's the QF press release to tide you over until the Lounge pages get updated this week.

http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201706/0609
I know you probably couldn't say anything if you knew about it, but I really hope this expanded codeshare means that Qantas will soon start flying out of Seattle as well.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by quemalo
I know you probably couldn't say anything if you knew about it, but I really hope this expanded codeshare means that Qantas will soon start flying out of Seattle as well.
And SYD-SEA-LHR isn't that far out of the way if they wanted another London route
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do you get the impression access to Qantas lounges for MVPG is just for the elite member? Or can they also bring a guest?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ffman999
Do you get the impression access to Qantas lounges for MVPG is just for the elite member? Or can they also bring a guest?
Not stated, but AA and EK affiliations allow one guest.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 20, 2017 at 10:33 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
It is interesting that that all of the Qantas codeshare additions are new flights operated by Alaska and not VX. Something tells me that this is mostly about feeding the Qantas flight from SFO to Sydney and we will see a lot more codeshares out of SFO once VX and AS have merged. I wouldn't expect any Qantas flights to Seattle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.