Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade someone else using my miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Upgrade someone else using my miles

If I use my companion pass to purchase tickets for my folks could I upgrade them using my miles?

Background: we are going to hawaii next year. I am going to use companion pass to purchase tickets and do a marriott travel package for the miles to upgrade on the flights. I have one pass that expires soon (july 1) and will get a second pass in early July. They will stay longer than we do. Do to our length of stay (we will be leaving late may and returning early June 2018) and the companion pass expiration I think I will need to book the outgoing with a different return date (then change the return date when it becomes available). (so that I can use the soon to expire pass).

I was hoping to transfer the max miles which is 120,000 -- which is the best value, but I am not sure I want miles sitting for 2 years till our next trip. Hence can I use for my folks.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:29 am

Yes, you can upgrade them with miles, provided you can find availability (U) and purchase the eligible airfare (Y,S,B,M,H).
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Yes, you can upgrade them with miles, provided you can find availability (U) and purchase the eligible airfare (Y,S,B,M,H).
U class for 2 pax specifically.

Much harder with 73H only having 12F seats.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beckoa
U class for 2 pax specifically.

Much harder with 73H only having 12F seats.
My experience is that AS will randomly release 1 U seat on 73H's to Hawaii. I would set an EF alert for one U seat, grab it as soon as it becomes available, repeat.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by diver858
My experience is that AS will randomly release 1 U seat on 73H's to Hawaii. I would set an EF alert for one U seat, grab it as soon as it becomes available, repeat.
won't work, as the OP mentions using a companion fare. both passengers must be upgraded, or neither...can't split across cabins
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by diver858
Haven't been watching this since 73H's were reconfigured.

Thanks for the datapoint ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.