Is Y Food Better than F Food?

Old May 26, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Is Y Food Better than F Food?

Is it just me, or is anyone else impressed by the Y food on AS? I mean, moreso than the F food. The F food can be hit or miss, IME, but the hot food in Y is usually quite good. The bowls, hot sandwiches, etc. Haven't had a bad one yet.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I haven't had a miss in Y either. Between Tom Douglas, the cheeseburger and the cheese plate, I'm a happy camper. Trading Glenlivet for Woodford Reserve is a push for me (though a whiskey like Oola to go with Sun Liquor would be neat).
Old May 26, 2017, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There are some shroom filled things out there.

Most Y is decent, but duds do exist. Same for F. I have my favorites in Y (cheeseburger) but overall F does beat Y in quantity and quality.

Then again, I am not enamored by the cheese plate either.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
Most Y is decent, but duds do exist. Same for F. I have my favorites in Y (cheeseburger) but overall F does beat Y in quantity and quality.
Agreed. I've had some not so great Y meals including the cheeseburger. My biggest gripe, and this includes F, is having idiotic sized pieces of food served onboard. Uncut green beans that need to be sawn through. Or the miso chicken breast where I came close to elbowing my seat mate multiple times. I can't imagine trying to to that in a middle. Fork size and fork tender please.

Old May 27, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Is it just me, or is anyone else impressed by the Y food on AS? I mean, moreso than the F food. The F food can be hit or miss, IME, but the hot food in Y is usually quite good. The bowls, hot sandwiches, etc. Haven't had a bad one yet.
Isn't there more variety in F than Y, though? Y seems to almost always have the same stuff, whenever I fly it.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Isn't there more variety in F than Y, though? Y seems to almost always have the same stuff, whenever I fly it.
Certainly more varieties of polenta and kale. Mmmmmm, kale....
Old May 27, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Over the course of a year, yes the F menu appears to change more frequently. For a given fight, though, Y may have the hot option, fruit and cheese, and picnic packs. The choice for the same flight in F may be yes or no.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Indeed... if I don't like what's offered in F, I ask for 2 cheese plates and it's never been a problem.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
There are some shroom filled things out there.

+1....I never thought the fruit and cheese plate sounded very exciting, especially for $8
Old May 27, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS
To answer original question posed....
Yes.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
It used to be that if you were in F, but saw what was being served in Y, you could ask for that. Now they want you to pay for it!
Old May 27, 2017, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ok... I want both
Old May 27, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
So far the only Y meal I've had is the coconut chicken, which was pretty tasty but led to some... issues after I got back home. Haven't had that problem with an F meal yet.

That said, in my limited flying as an elite the last year and a half, I've somehow avoided the polenta and kale.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:39 pm

What's the difference between Y and F? I thought both are for first class just with fare difference... Do they actually know who is F and who is Y?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Wang
What's the difference between Y and F? I thought both are for first class just with fare difference... Do they actually know who is F and who is Y?
Y is coach (specifically, the most expensive fare class in coach, but used as shorthand for "coach"). F is first.

They can tell who is in F and who is in Y by looking at who is sitting in the 2x2 seats and the 3x3 seats...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.