Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX or BUR in the summer?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by faithful
My original question is more about what to expect at LAX (crowds, delays, etc.) during the busy summer months and if anyone has had experience with that during off hours.
I did a couple of PDX-LAX MR turns late last summer (end of August/beginning of September I think) so while not a regular of LAX, I didn't experience any delays arriving or departing. Didn't leave airside so no idea of the security lines and such but T6 wasn't terribly crowded. Could find a place in the gate area waiting to reboard and while there were lines at both the fish taco and burger place, they were short enough to get the order and eat during the turn around with time to spare.

ETA: these were evening MRs. Left PDX around 6pm and back around midnight.

Last edited by rustykettel; May 25, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by RhoadWarrior
If that isn't bad enough, lately once I hit the terminal area it takes 20-45 minutes to make the loop. Recently a bunch of us got off the shuttle and hoofed it to the other side.
That is my M.O. when I am on UA out of T7/T8. T1 to T7 is only about five minutes' walk once you get downstairs. Find a stray SmartCarte and you are good to go!

On the other hand, getting the shuttle at T7 means you will be at the rent-a-car counter very fast.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
I would love to use BUR more than I do but if I can save $$$ I fly LAX, which is often the case. I just plan around the traffic. Having now lived in Seattle 7 years and spending 20 in LA I'm not convinced it's any worse in fact with all the options LA might actually be better. And there's what just 2 flights a day from Burbank to SEA?
Old May 25, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
And there's what just 2 flights a day from Burbank to SEA?
3 or 4 depending on the date.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by northwesterner
3 or 4 depending on the date.
Okay that's better.

And to clarify I would bite the bullet on increased cost depending on logistics. It doesn't make any sense to fly into LAX during rush hour for a meeting in Pasadena. But for leisurely travel with time I'll look closely at the cost and would consider Ontario too.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Kurt
On the other hand, getting the shuttle at T7 means you will be at the rent-a-car counter very fast.
The only problem with catching a shuttle at T7 is you run the risk of it being full. That's happened several times with National and Hertz over the last two years.

I'd use BUR and SNA exclusively if I didn't have to go to Culver City/Santa Monica.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:29 pm

I'd do everything I possibly could to avoid LAX and use any other LA area airport.
Construction is still messing up the traffic flow through the terminals, and the drive to/from the airport is as bad as ever.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:42 pm

I would fly into BUR almost all the time if the cost was roughly the same and Silvercar was there. Since I usually am in LA just for leisure and thus always end up renting a car. Comparing prices with standard rental car guys with a Audi A4 Silvercar which has nav, XM radio, and wifi (which I've NEVER thought I would use and then actually did a couple times, lol) and including a VISA infinite discount Silvercar is just much cheaper. I think I paid ~$50/day last time after all fees and taxes and everything. And the Audi has the horsepower to stay up with the traffic flow and merge on without feeling like you need a huge window. Ironically the last two years I've stayed at the Universal Sheraton so BUR would have been SOOOO much easier.

This year I may stay at Disney for two days and fly into SNA for that, hire a car to get me to Universal Studios/Sheraton to stay there for two days, and then fly home out of BUR. I'll have to run the numbers and see if it's about the same cost or less then LAX/Rental car.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
Not only is the traffic at LAX bad, both incoming and outgoing flights have experienced delays of 45-60 minutes due to runway construction.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Friday evenings at LAX can be horrible. I've spent 20-30 minutes just getting out of the terminal loop on rental car shuttles, and then there's a 10 minute drive to the rental centers, with long lines at those if you don't have Gold Club or something similar. Then there's traffic getting out of the LAX area which seems clogged except for a few hours per day.

With prices and drive times being anywhere near equal, I'd do BUR.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Then there's traffic getting out of the LAX area which seems clogged except for a few hours per day.
Just don't ever get on the 405 for any reason - it never ends well.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If I'm just going to LA, it usually involves some type of Orange County theme park with the kids so even if it's only $40 or so more to fly into SNA, it really adds up when I factor in the kid's tickets...also, PDX-LAX fares have consistently been around $60 which is too good to pass up. The AL at LAX is, in my opinion, the best in the system and there is zero lounge access at any of the other LA airports.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
there is zero lounge access at any of the other LA airports.
Admirals Club at SNA for AL and AC members.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This thread reminds me I need to try out BUR and ONT some time. LGB was very easy... and SNA seemed ok (last time I went thru was a connection from Mexcio).
Old May 28, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
This thread reminds me I need to try out BUR and ONT some time. LGB was very easy... and SNA seemed ok (last time I went thru was a connection from Mexcio).
Burbank is always gate B5, at the end of the terminal. It sounds like a long walk, but in reality you can walk down the stairs off the airplane and be in the baggage claim within two minutes. Probably closer to one minute if you don't walk slowly.

And they load/unload from the front and rear at the same time, so it goes really fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.