Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by quemalo
AY is a nice way to get to northern Europe, so this could be useful. It's just too bad they don't fly out of SEA, but maybe that's coming?
I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Despite ashill's assertion that

Originally Posted by ashill
AS doesn't have any partners which don't serve at least one of AS's hubs
That's really only true if you either include the hubs that VX brought or consider LAX an AS hub pre-merger, which is reasonable, but isn't exactly what we're thinking of here. LAX had a lot of AS connectivity to Latin America and not much else (the notable exception being DC). That leaves us with ANC, SEA and PDX as their true hubs, in the traditional sense, and AF/KLM doesn't have service to any of them, nor does Cathay Pacific, nor does JAL, Aeromexico, Fiji, LAN or Qantas.

Adding the VX hubs changes that, which is totally awesome, but I don't think that this partnership is any indication that Finnair will be adding service to SEA. Though I would love to be wrong about that.

Last edited by CalanMan; May 24, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CalanMan

That's really only true if you either include the hubs that VX brought or consider LAX an AS hub pre-merger, which is reasonable, but isn't exactly what we're thinking of here. LAX had a lot of AS connectivity to Latin America and not much else (the notable exception being DC). That leaves us with ANC, SFO and PDX as their true hubs, in the traditional sense, and AF/KLM doesn't have service to any of them, nor does Cathay Pacific, nor does JAL, Aeromexico, Fiji, LAN or Qantas.

Adding the VX hubs changes that, which is totally awesome, but I don't think that this partnership is any indication that Finnair will be adding service to SEA. Though I would love to be wrong about that.
Cathay, JAL, Air France and KLM don't serve SFO? Do you mean SEA?
Old May 23, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That was my guess. And AF actually did serve SEA until five years ago, when DL took over the route.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Finnair is one of the eight carriers searched for awards on aa.com. (There are about 15 which are call-to-book only.) AAdvantage members are already looking at AY's TATL seats. AY award availability will be no better than AA for AS flyers.
Except that AY on aa.com seems to be plagued by tons of "phantom" availability (availability that turns out not to actually exist once you try to book, even though it's returned in a search):
Let's hope at the very least that any AY availability that AS shows is real.

And if AS flyers can find the elusive real AY availablity in a straightfoward manner, while AA flyers (using only aa.com) have to sort through the gigantic "phatom" availability litter heap, that could give a bit of advantage to AS flyers.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jinglish
That was my guess. And AF actually did serve SEA until five years ago, when DL took over the route.
AF&KLM also both still serve YVR, a quick drive/hop
Old May 23, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except that AY on aa.com seems to be plagued by tons of "phantom" availability (availability that turns out not to actually exist once you try to book, even though it's returned in a search):
Let's hope at the very least that any AY availability that AS shows is real.

And if AS flyers can find the elusive real AY availablity in a straightfoward manner, while AA flyers (using only aa.com) have to sort through the gigantic "phatom" availability litter heap, that could give a bit of advantage to AS flyers.
IMHO you're stretching with that. There are a ~100 million AAdvantage members already disillusioned with AA's poor saver award availability, BA's fees, and who don't even think of Iberia because it isn't bookable online. Real AY award availability goes very quickly.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by jiburi

Wouldn't surprise me if these are next....

Qatar Airways
Royal Jordanian
S7 Airlines
SriLankan Airlines
Air Berlin
Iberia
Malaysia Airlines
As others have stated these are mostly unlikely. S7, SriLankan and Malaysia don't fly to the americas (indeed S7 mostly operates a route schedule that wouldn't be too surprising from soviet times -- Russian neighbors and a few flights to European capitals).

RJ and AB do fly to the US, but mostly to AA hubs and not that frequently. They don't need AS feed and they're not going to do anything to rock the boat.

QR is the one that might be willing to partner with AS, particularly if their announced routes to SFO and LAS are actually launched. On the other hand, QR is a horrible partner even in OneWorld (go ahead, just try and redeem an award on them. Also, AA EXP? Forget about it, no first class lounge access in Doha for you).

For AS, expansion seems to be north south flying into Mexico and Central America. Even with more of an east coast presence from VX, AS would be insane to start transatlantic flights, even if the MAX will technically have the range. Transpac flights are out too. So where do they expand? Mexico, Central America and maybe even northern South America (Colombia, etc). There's a lot of potential there. Interjet partnership, anyone?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Bah, sorry, yes, I meant SEA. Fixed above. Just a brainfart. I definitely didn't forget that SEA was an AS hub.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

That's really only true if you either include the hubs that VX brought or consider LAX an AS hub pre-merger, which is reasonable, but isn't exactly what we're thinking of here. LAX had a lot of AS connectivity to Latin America and not much else (the notable exception being DC). That leaves us with ANC, SEA and PDX as their true hubs, in the traditional sense, and AF/KLM doesn't have service to any of them, nor does Cathay Pacific, nor does JAL, Aeromexico, Fiji, LAN or Qantas.
I did mean to include LAX and SFO as AS hubs, meaning airports out of which AS provides some feed that is of some use to the partners in filling their flights that the partner can't easily get from other partners. Obviously their utility will be improved once the VX operation is folded into AS. But my main point is just that airlines which don't serve any AS airports aren't likely to see utility in an AS partnership, much as we might like AS to add overseas partners.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
AF&KLM also both still serve YVR, a quick drive/hop
Well, I think you could say that SFO is also quick hop from SEA. It's about an hour longer, but it doesn't require any immigration, and often has much better saver award availability on AS than SEA-YVR, and certainly more frequencies.

YVR also has flights from Cathay, Aeromexico, JAL, Korean, and BA. I love Mileage Plan and its partners, and haven't had a lot of trouble with using them to get to the international destinations where I want to go, even if it occasionally means buying a positioning flight to/from YVR, SFO or LAX.

YVR is a good airport and an easy connection, but that's different than having partner flights into Alaska's Seattle home base, and Alaska definitely partners with lots of carriers that don't fly to Seattle.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
...my main point is just that airlines which don't serve any AS airports aren't likely to see utility in an AS partnership, much as we might like AS to add overseas partners.
Yes, this I totally agree with.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Bah, sorry, yes, I meant SEA. Fixed above. Just a brainfart. I definitely didn't forget that SEA was an AS hub.
AF used to fly to SEA, though (before DL took the SkyTeam badged service over). Given that AF==AF/KL...

I would agree, though, that the Oneworld international presence at SEA is pathetic and sad compared to other alliances:

*A: LH, BR, OZ, AC, NH
ST: DL (hub), KE, AM
OW: BA

SEA is a viable airport if you're a *A/ST international traveler, especially to Asia. OW not so much. The problem is that AS has partnered more with OW than ST/*A. With DL pulling out your nonstop longhaul options out of SEA are mostly oddballs (HU, FI, DE) save for BA/EK/KE.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Well, I think you could say that SFO is also quick hop from SEA. It's about an hour longer, but it doesn't require any immigration, and often has much better saver award availability on AS than SEA-YVR, and certainly more frequencies.

YVR also has flights from Cathay, Aeromexico, JAL, Korean, and BA. I love Mileage Plan and its partners, and haven't had a lot of trouble with using them to get to the international destinations where I want to go, even if it occasionally means buying a positioning flight to/from YVR, SFO or LAX.

YVR is a good airport and an easy connection, but that's different than having partner flights into Alaska's Seattle home base, and Alaska definitely partners with lots of carriers that don't fly to Seattle.
Of course - I was merely adding it to the list of possible connection points for airlines that don't serve SEA.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Miami service is operated by Iberia - which is pretty bad in back from what I've heard.
Only as a stopgap due to a pilot shortage. And Iberia is fine.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, BD, SPG, Hilton
So has anyone flown yet on an AY-coded BA WT+ ticket? I have a full-fare W class (booked that way because corporate TA), which AS thinks is only a 25% earner on AY, while I would obviously prefer to earn at 150% as its BA metal.

This sounds like an instance of saving the BP and send in for retroactive credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.