Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Old May 22, 2017, 3:35 pm

Hmmm...working on a europe trip right now for next year. This could work! Good news.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Wow, wasn't expecting this one! Glad to see mileage partners continue to expand, especially to Europe ^
Old May 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
One of which is LH, which is what the OP I am responding to was asking about.

Could SQ partner with AS like they did with VX? Maybe. But that doesn't do much to help with Europe. I doubt LH Group is inclined to stick a knife in UA's back given their TATL JV. They don't really need a USA partner.
I completely agree that there is no AS-LH agreement forthcoming. That said, SK/LO/TK/TP are all European *A carriers that can use non-UA feed. In Asia, there's AI, OZ, SQ, CA, etc.

It is far from inconceivable that AS could start picking up some *A partners.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I completely agree that there is no AS-LH agreement forthcoming. That said, SK/LO/TK/TP are all European *A carriers that can use non-UA feed. In Asia, there's AI, OZ, SQ, CA, etc.

It is far from inconceivable that AS could start picking up some *A partners.
Many of those carriers compete closely against current AS partners--i.e., SQ vs. CX; OZ vs. KE; SK vs. AY; maybe even CA vs. HU and TK/AI vs. EK? Not that AS doesn't have a history of partnering with, say, AA and DL simultaneously, so maybe that's not such a big deal. More importantly, though: OZ is the only one serving SEA, TP doesn't even fly to the west coast, and the ones that fly to SFO and LAX already have a whole bunch of UA feed.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
Great addition to provide a new alternative to Europe in lie-flat J without the massive surcharges (BA) or complete lack of award space (AA)
Finnair is one of the eight carriers searched for awards on aa.com. (There are about 15 which are call-to-book only.) AAdvantage members are already looking at AY's TATL seats. AY award availability will be no better than AA for AS flyers.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Could anyone clarify what the "Additional Bonus" means in the earning chart? I have a long-haul booking in J on Finnair soon and would rather earn 300% (100% base miles + 100% class of service + 100% "additional bonus) to Alaska than 100-125% to BA/CX, but it is unclear if the additional bonus only applies to e.g. status holders?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by staff
Could anyone clarify what the "Additional Bonus" means in the earning chart? I have a long-haul booking in J on Finnair soon and would rather earn 300% (100% base miles + 100% class of service + 100% "additional bonus) to Alaska than 100-125% to BA/CX, but it is unclear if the additional bonus only applies to e.g. status holders?
Anyone can get it, but it's purely redeemable miles. The class of service bonus applies toward elite qualification as well.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jinglish
Anyone can get it, but it's purely redeemable miles. The class of service bonus applies toward elite qualification as well.
And an elite would receive a bonus on top of all this from 50-125%.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Thanks for confirming. I have no status with Alaska anyway but am purchasing miles quite frequently to redeem on some of the sweet spot routes in their award chart. 300% redeemable miles on longhaul (~13k miles return) J is incredible value, considering the earn rate is only 100-125% to most Oneworld partners on the same route.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by staff
Thanks for confirming. I have no status with Alaska anyway but am purchasing miles quite frequently to redeem on some of the sweet spot routes in their award chart. 300% redeemable miles on longhaul (~13k miles return) J is incredible value, considering the earn rate is only 100-125% to most Oneworld partners on the same route.
yep, as long as its a revenue booking.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
While I would like to see AS join OW for the reciprocal elite benefits, I disagree that it was obvious and that it's only a matter of time before another OW carrier becomes a partner (unless they do actually join). JL, the only other recent OW-aligned addition, flies to LAX, SFO, and SAN, all airports where AS has significant presence (particularly since the VX acquisition), as well as YVR. AY is only just not launching seasonal, thrice-weekly SFO service. And S7, UL, and MH don't even fly anywhere in North America.
+1

AS has added lots of partners over the last few years (both oneworld members and not), but it's generally been around the time the new partner introduces or expands service to an AS hub. AS doesn't have any partners which don't serve at least one of AS's hubs, and I don't see any reason to see that changing. With AS's award limitations (particularly the inability to combine multiple partners on one award) and the focus on getting passengers from North America to other parts of the world with awards, adding a partner which doesn't serve an AS hub doesn't make much sense. And it also doesn't make obvious sense from the partner's point of view: why would MH (for example) care about adding AS as a partner when AS doesn't help feed any of MH's flights?

IB is the oneworld partner whose absence from AS's partner list is most glaring, particularly given their corporate ties to BA and joint venture ties to AA. But again, they have quite limited service to the west coast; from Wikipedia, it looks like they do have seasonal LAX service. But AS (even with VX) doesn't offer much feed out of LAX that their joint venture partner AA doesn't offer, so it's not clear to me that they have much incentive to route feed from a partner where they share all revenue (AA) to one where they don't (AS). AY is a bit different now because AS/VX does provide significant SFO feed that AA can't provide.

Adding two oneworld members as partners combined with the loss of DL does, I would think, at least increase the probability that AS joins oneworld (at which point they would become partners with all oneworld members). But an increase in probability doesn't make it likely.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Another great partner, the map is growing. Thanks AS ^^
Old May 23, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I fear redemption may include the dreaded "fuel surcharge"
Old May 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by 98103
I fear redemption may include the dreaded "fuel surcharge"
For a coach AAdvantage award JFK-HEL on AY round trip in coach in October, cost is 60,000 AA miles plus USD$38.66. I think AA fuel surcharges are comparable to AS fuel surcharges for a given partner.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
with all the mergers, airlines have tighten the domestic space that are given to other airlines for the purpose of interlining. so it makes sense for airlines to partner with as if as is willing. i was reading that ua doesnt give many space sq after all the consolidation..

i still remembee the day cz would sell a cheap ticket btv asia with north american portion on co to lax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.