Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Not too thrilled about this as finding AY J award space can be difficult especially since many AA members are trying to avoid BA as well.

It would be great if AS can have a partnership with LH. I'm not sure why AS doesn't have a partnership with *A carriers. Considering a few *A carriers have a partnership with airlines like EY, I just don't see why this hasn't happened yet.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Wow. I was just thinking wouldn't it be nice if AS teamed up with AY... I've been looking at doing a revenue trip to Asia involving both BA and AY segments, but the BA segments are marketed by AY and I was hesitant to book even that if it meant I wouldn't get AS credit. Now I could potentially get credit for the whole trip...

So now I wonder... if I book the BA-operated flights that are marketed by AY, would I get my mileage credit?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Not too thrilled about this as finding AY J award space can be difficult especially since many AA members are trying to avoid BA as well.

It would be great if AS can have a partnership with LH. I'm not sure why AS doesn't have a partnership with *A carriers. Considering a few *A carriers have a partnership with airlines like EY, I just don't see why this hasn't happened yet.
Two words: United Airlines.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:35 am

AY is a nice way to get to northern Europe, so this could be useful. It's just too bad they don't fly out of SEA, but maybe that's coming?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great addition to provide a new alternative to Europe in lie-flat J without the massive surcharges (BA) or complete lack of award space (AA)
Old May 22, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by quemalo
AY is a nice way to get to northern Europe, so this could be useful. It's just too bad they don't fly out of SEA, but maybe that's coming?
The Microsoft/Nokia shuttle? Oh, wait...
Old May 22, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
wow, didn't see this coming...
Surely, you must have..... Without committing to OneWorld Alliance, Alaska has already added 7 of 14 OneWorld Airlines.

American Airlines (Partner)
British Airways (Partner)
Finnair (New Partner)
Japan Airlines (Partner)
Cathay Pacific (Partner)
LATAM Airlines (Partner with LAN only)
Qantas (Partner)

Mileage Plan also indicates they are working on adding TAM of LATAM to be a partner of Mileage Plan. They are already a partner with LAT of LATAM.

Wouldn't surprise me if these are next....

Qatar Airways
Royal Jordanian
S7 Airlines
SriLankan Airlines
Air Berlin
Iberia
Malaysia Airlines

Jiburi
Old May 22, 2017, 12:17 pm

Now if we could only get IB Europe will be back at the level it was before DL left.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
This is exciting news as Finnair often has great business class fares to Asia.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Two words: United Airlines.
Plenty of *A airlines rely heavily on B6 and VX for feed. UA is only really interested in collaborating with its JV partners.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Miami service is operated by Iberia - which is pretty bad in back from what I've heard.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jiburi
Surely, you must have..... Without committing to OneWorld Alliance, Alaska has already added 7 of 14 OneWorld Airlines.

American Airlines (Partner)
British Airways (Partner)
Finnair (New Partner)
Japan Airlines (Partner)
Cathay Pacific (Partner)
LATAM Airlines (Partner with LAN only)
Qantas (Partner)

Mileage Plan also indicates they are working on adding TAM of LATAM to be a partner of Mileage Plan. They are already a partner with LAT of LATAM.

Wouldn't surprise me if these are next....

Qatar Airways
Royal Jordanian
S7 Airlines
SriLankan Airlines
Air Berlin
Iberia
Malaysia Airlines

Jiburi
While I would like to see AS join OW for the reciprocal elite benefits, I disagree that it was obvious and that it's only a matter of time before another OW carrier becomes a partner (unless they do actually join). JL, the only other recent OW-aligned addition, flies to LAX, SFO, and SAN, all airports where AS has significant presence (particularly since the VX acquisition), as well as YVR. AY is only just not launching seasonal, thrice-weekly SFO service. And S7, UL, and MH don't even fly anywhere in North America.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:21 pm
vgc

I'm always down for more partnerships!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
MIA is operated by IB (but with AY service managers on board), but that's only temporary, as they're training pilots for the A350 (which is a very nice ride even in the back).

AY served the SEA-HEL market in the mid-late 1980s. Not sure they'd come back since they codeshare both with FI and BA.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Plenty of *A airlines rely heavily on B6 and VX for feed. UA is only really interested in collaborating with its JV partners.
One of which is LH, which is what the OP I am responding to was asking about.

Could SQ partner with AS like they did with VX? Maybe. But that doesn't do much to help with Europe. I doubt LH Group is inclined to stick a knife in UA's back given their TATL JV. They don't really need a USA partner.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 22, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.