Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I really wish AS would notify you when they change your seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

Booked an AS flight a long time ago; selected seats in Row 14. Apparently, sometime between a long time ago and now (T-48), they changed equipment and row 14 disappeared.

They kindly put me, wife and baby in Row 29. At this point, T-48, there's nothing good left... just a bunch of middles.

Gripe over, and no big deal on the equipment change, but I really wish they'd email you when they change your seat for you so you could go select a new one.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dordal
Booked an AS flight a long time ago; selected seats in Row 14. Apparently, sometime between a long time ago and now (T-48), they changed equipment and row 14 disappeared.

They kindly put me, wife and baby in Row 29. At this point, T-48, there's nothing good left... just a bunch of middles.

Gripe over, and no big deal on the equipment change, but I really wish they'd email you when they change your seat for you so you could go select a new one.
Well, to be fair, I don't think other airlines do this either...

I would say what really needs to change is the reshuffling of seat assignments needs to stop. Lots of reports of this here at present.

CheckMyTrip might be capable of seat monitoring. I know that ExpertFlyer is (basically you set a seat alert for your own seat so that you know if you're removed from it) but it requires the paid subscription if you are watching multiple flights...or paying $.99/flight. For a 6 hour flight, that isn't a terrible price to pay -- though should be completely unnecessary if AS had their IT house in better order.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

I think Award Wallet would notify you of something like this. Don't recall anytime when an airline sent such a notice.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Well, to be fair, I don't think other airlines do this either...
1. I don't think the argument that no one else does it is a good one. AS should strive to be better than "other airlines".

2. Other airlines do do this. I just dug the email below out of my archives. Granted, this was for a flight the same day, and I don't recall if UA sends a notification if things change earlier (I might look for further messages later), but clearly the technology exists and emails are cheap.
Attached Images  
Old May 9, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
1. I don't think the argument that no one else does it is a good one. AS should strive to be better than "other airlines".
Yeah the argument 'just because other airlines suck means you should too'... doesn't hold much water with me.

I also think they could do a better job picking seats, esp for elites. E.g. if they switch your plane for one with PE and your row disappears ( as seems to have happened here ), maybe put you in PE as a courtesy. UA did that for me once or twice when I was silver.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Yeah the argument 'just because other airlines suck means you should too'... doesn't hold much water with me.
THIS. And the fact that I fly Alaska is more to do with staying away from those 'other airlines' than anything else. Alaska is better than all other North American airlines (WestJet might be better).

This should be something they do because its easy and they are the best.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
2. Other airlines do do this. I just dug the email below out of my archives. Granted, this was for a flight the same day, and I don't recall if UA sends a notification if things change earlier (I might look for further messages later), but clearly the technology exists and emails are cheap.
now this is a welcome change...UA of 2013-2014 would never have done this and trust me there were plenty of seating swaps going on w/ UA at that time
Old May 9, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
now this is a welcome change...UA of 2013-2014 would never have done this and trust me there were plenty of seating swaps going on w/ UA at that time
Yes, I was positively surprised. I don't know when they started doing this as I haven't had that many UA flights in recent years, and no involuntary seat changes that I recall.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
AS with a common fleet of 737 can easily do a better job here until A319 and A320 becomes part of the mix.

To avoiding seat changes, AS should simply not allow seat assignments in rows that are not available in other configuration or aircraft type. Those uncommon special rows should only be populated by gate agent or during check-in. (First class excepted) Many airlines already do this. Some airlines, like united, will only provide seat assignments to specific rows behind economy plus and ahead of exit row only within 48-72 hours.

Jiburi
Old May 10, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
They moved me to a different seat in the SAME row (opposite side and aisle rather than window) without any explanation or notification. I take that flight in a week and I can't wait to see who got my seat. If I have the guts I'll ask how he/she did it.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Some months ago, I booked same-row aisle seats for myself and a buddy. I just checked and we have been moved to a window and middle. No equipment change. No notice. No aisle seats now available. Not a long flight (YAK-JNU-SEA), but still annoying.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I got burned by this yesterday. When I booked my flight 6 weeks ago I chose 17C. The flight was on a 737-800 and sold out for the last couple of weeks, presumably oversold (as all my AS664 SEA-DFWs have been the past few weeks).

Well, day before flight and it swaps to a 737-700! I go to check in and see I was moved to 15A (window, 31", no recline)! Almost every other seat is taken.

Why in the world would they kick me out of 17C when the same seat number exists on the new aircraft?! Of course I call in about it, profuse apology, miles given, told to check at the gate...
I have a B fare, #1 on the upgrade list but F has been sold out for weeks. I shall pray... EF seat alerts in effect for Y

Can someone at Alaska's IT look into the seat re-assignment logic?
@missydarlin
I also don't see any place in my profile for seat preference? e.g. window/aisle?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
This type of thing is one reason I check our reservations online every Sunday. That way I can often catch changed seat assignments, cancelled flights, etc., comparatively soon after they happen and can look for good alternatives. I wouldn't disagree with anyone who says we shouldn't have to do this. It's just my solution to the issue.

edited to add: this was a general response, not directed at situations like dmodemd's where an equipment swap is done the day before.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
This type of thing is one reason I check our reservations online every Sunday.
Just curious on why Sunday? TIA
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dave1013
Just curious on why Sunday? TIA
Major schedule changes are loaded on Saturday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.