Wiki Posts
Search

AS + VX: Wishlist from a Gold 75K

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
AS + VX: Wishlist from a Gold 75K

So I've flown VX a few times now, and have an upcoming flight. Here's a list of things I wish we could either keep or get (or move up from 4Q17/1Q18):
  1. Recognize AS MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K in VX Sabre so we don't have to spend time on phone for better seats or pay for bags
  2. Keep the red rope between F & Y. It really really does reduce traffic into the F cabin and make it a much more pleasurable experience
  3. Keep the funky & cool IBE search feature on Virginamerica.com - makes searching for flights 20x easier
  4. Love the cute avatars when selecting your seat on VX
  5. The interactive seatmap does very well in showing the differences between seat types and also seat cost
  6. RED could be transformed into GoGo whereby we can login to alaskair.com, GoGo recognizes our seat, and we can order from our devices
  7. in F, keep the Dean & Deluca snack bites.. much better than the sodium-saturated snack basket in F right now
  8. Priority bag tags for elites and first class
Old May 8, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
So I've flown VX a few times now, and have an upcoming flight. Here's a list of things I wish we could either keep or get (or move up from 4Q17/1Q18):
  1. Recognize AS MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K in VX Sabre so we don't have to spend time on phone for better seats or pay for bags

Totally agree on this one!
  2. Keep the red rope between F & Y. It really really does reduce traffic into the F cabin and make it a much more pleasurable experience

This one as well - it really would be nice for them to add this, but I think part of the problem on VX versus AS is that VX doesn't use carts in Y, correct? So there is not the cart blockage issue. Guess they could put up the rope when no carts in aisle?

3. Keep the funky & cool IBE search feature on Virginamerica.com - makes searching for flights 20x easier

I think this depends on preference, I prefer the Alaska a lot more than Virgin one.

Cute - but couldn't care less one way or the other.
  5. The interactive seatmap does very well in showing the differences between seat types and also seat cost

True.
  6. RED could be transformed into GoGo whereby we can login to alaskair.com, GoGo recognizes our seat, and we can order from our devices

That would be cool.
  7. in F, keep the Dean & Deluca snack bites.. much better than the sodium-saturated snack basket in F right now

100% - that would be really nice. I bet the cost is a lot higher though.

AS bags come up so quickly already, and experience with other airlines doesn't really have priority bags come up any faster. If I have to choose between 20 minute bag guarantee and priority bag tags, I'd rather have the guarantee.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The fact that 75Ks currently must sit in the back on VX flights is probably the saddest fact of all....this still hasn't been fixed? Really??? As far as I know, VX elites not only get preferred seats (including premium class upgrades), but also get on the first class upgrade list when flying AS. Oh well, I know this is old news, but it's still a major disappointment...AS is better than this.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

SF1K - my experiences in Y on VX are they are using carts in the aisle - but these have been long haul flights (California -/- Florida).

I've used the seat back to order food and what not - and it didn't appear like people say. I didn't get my food until they came by with the cart. I could have just had an "off flight" too.

Also, VX Elites get discount upgrade offers to MCS/First Class - would be nice to have AS elites in on that pool as well.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The fact that 75Ks currently must sit in the back on VX flights is probably the saddest fact of all....this still hasn't been fixed? Really??? As far as I know, VX elites not only get preferred seats (including premium class upgrades), but also get on the first class upgrade list when flying AS. Oh well, I know this is old news, but it's still a major disappointment...AS is better than this.
VX elites are now AS elites so it's not really all that crazy that they would be upgraded on AS planes. They aren't upgraded to F on VX planes, unless that has changed recently - I know they are planning to change that, but I think you'll see that more the further they get into the integration. Do 75K's get access to whatever VX calls their Premium Economy section?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Do 75K's get access to whatever VX calls their Premium Economy section?
Officially, no. There have been scattered reports of comps at the gate, but that's all.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Do 75K's get access to whatever VX calls their Premium Economy section?
The gate agents in MCO or FLL won't move us. One said its because they don't know if we are legit or not because the system doesn't show them our status level. Ok, fine.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS elites not only don't get Main Cabin Select (= AS Pemium Class) on VX, but they don't get Main Cabin Express (= AS Preferred Seating) on VX, until the "fall 2017" date (which is when I'd guess they'll get VX Sabre to recognize AS elite status).

Recognize AS MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K in VX Sabre so we don't have to spend time on phone for better seats or pay for bags
They'd have to do this anyways because presumably VX Sabre will be sticking around while there's VX tickets (there won't be VX elites starting 1/1/18, so they'll need a way to do elite recognition). The reason why it's not earlier is probably "well, we're killing off Elevate anyways, why spend the $ to do a bunch of stuff we only have to deal with for a few months anyway (while there are two elite systems hanging around)"?

There was more of a reason to do this for UA/CO and US/AA because there was an alliance involved the acquired airline had to operate in (even if it was just for a year or two). AS and VX don't have this issue.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 8, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
VX elites are now AS elites so it's not really all that crazy that they would be upgraded on AS planes. They aren't upgraded to F on VX planes, unless that has changed recently - I know they are planning to change that, but I think you'll see that more the further they get into the integration. Do 75K's get access to whatever VX calls their Premium Economy section?
I don't think it's crazy that VX elites are upgraded on AS planes...I think it's crazy that VX elites can sit in first, premium class, or preferred seats on AS planes, but AS elites have to sit in the back half of the plane on VX...they don't expect F, but really, not even "preferred" seating in the front half of the airplane??? That's what we all think is the crazy part
Old May 8, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS
I don't think it's crazy that VX elites are upgraded on AS planes...I think it's crazy that VX elites can sit in first, premium class, or preferred seats on AS planes, but AS elites have to sit in the back half of the plane on VX...they don't expect F, but really, not even "preferred" seating in the front half of the airplane??? That's what we all think is the crazy part
Exactly, the crazy part, that is so insulating to AS Elites , is the complete one sidedness of this integration.
AS Elites get treated like non Elevate members, while VX are given increased status on AS and are invited to the best seats on the plane on AS.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It's become even crazier in my mind now that it's been announced that VX elites will requalify for next year by mileage as well AS elite. How I think it should have been handled- cross match to both programs for status this year and add up the miles for next year (and they're going to do anyways for all VX members, elite or not) at the end of the year.

My opinion is that AS management was occupied more with getting approval for the acquisition and less on what the combined airline would look like, the roadmap to get there, and communicating (as well as implementing) that roadmap as quickly as possible. Things like the baggage fee waiver should have been implemented on day one. Just show your ID card (physical or app) or AS credit card to the counter agent should have been all that's required. It's an easy win and that it took months to do, along with an unpublicized waiver that seemed to rest on the agent's discretion, is astounding.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Just with all other past mega mergers, I think AS will create a new tier.

Let's me be the first to call it, Platinum 100K.

Jiburi
Old May 8, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jiburi
Let's me be the first to call it, Platinum 100K.
Nah, it'll be Diamond 100K as a swipe at their former partner.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Nah, it'll be Diamond 100K as a swipe at their former partner.
Or maybe Platinum Cod 100K....

I won't allow Alaska to name its top tier, Kale 100K......

Jiburi
Old May 8, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
I agree with everything except the Priority bag tags. Why? Every AS flight that I have taken has beaten the 20 min bag guarantee. Every AA flight the last few years? close to 30 min WITH the AA Priority bag tags. Useless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.