Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First World prob but it's still annoying: seat moves after booking

Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG

Ticket purchased 2/20 for travel on 5/21, booked myself into seat 6A and wifey into 6C, I love the window seat and she prefers the aisle. Sometimes the middle seat stays open, sometimes not.

Checked up on my flight today and found I had been moved to 6D. I know, same row, same legroom, same level of service, but still, why can't I count on keeping the seat I reserved? Is it because we left the center seat open? If that's the reason then I'll just start buying us each our own tickets.

Like the title says......

Last edited by slopeboy40; Aug 28, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Was 6A still available? And yes, it is annoying.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Was 6A still available? And yes, it is annoying.
Nope, all of row 6 is booked and only 2 singles in the exit rows. At least it's a short (1.5 hr) flight.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Is 6C still a seat designated for disabled travelers?

Selecting Handicapped Seats with Impunity
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

that was my guess...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Even if it is, my wife was booked into 6C and is still in 6C. I was in 6A and got moved.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delete.

Last edited by Baze; Apr 29, 2017 at 11:39 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I've been booking 6C for years. Always get disclaimer that I could be moved, but if they move me, they move me..

Any explanation from Alaska on why you got moved? Or didn't bother to ask?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BarryL
I've been booking 6C for years. Always get disclaimer that I could be moved, but if they move me, they move me..

Any explanation from Alaska on why you got moved? Or didn't bother to ask?
Nah I didn't bother to call. I just vented here instead.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Nah I didn't bother to call. I just vented here instead.
As a MM you should not be moved unless there are dire circumstances! I would call in to let them know about this issue and frankly, I would expect something in return for relocating you from 6A, and not your wife in 6C which we all know is the one seat subject to being moved. Although being moved to an aisle might be viewed as a better seat by some, obviously it is not so in your case. (does your profile indicate a preference for aisle or window?)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: HH Silver
That would be an issue for me. I book the passenger side of the plane for a reason. Neck will not turn to the right. Does not matter how far back I am, I have to have the right side of the plane.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctporter
As a MM you should not be moved unless there are dire circumstances! I would call in to let them know about this issue and frankly, I would expect something in return for relocating you from 6A, and not your wife in 6C which we all know is the one seat subject to being moved. Although being moved to an aisle might be viewed as a better seat by some, obviously it is not so in your case. (does your profile indicate a preference for aisle or window?)
Yeah, window seat is set as my personal preference. And I just don't see a reason to call. All of the seats are filled now so I can't move anywhere, I don't think I should be 'compensated' because the move wasn't horrible, and even though I am a MM, I am still just a lowly Gold so a 75k might have thrown their weight around and got my seat.

And speaking of MM, on my recent flight to OGG the FA showed me that my MM status does not appear on her paperwork that she uses when she greets everyone and takes their orders, it only appears on her electronic device.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Yeah, window seat is set as my personal preference. And I just don't see a reason to call. All of the seats are filled now so I can't move anywhere, I don't think I should be 'compensated' because the move wasn't horrible, and even though I am a MM, I am still just a lowly Gold so a 75k might have thrown their weight around and got my seat.

And speaking of MM, on my recent flight to OGG the FA showed me that my MM status does not appear on her paperwork that she uses when she greets everyone and takes their orders, it only appears on her electronic device.
I've been a 75k for years now, and although I have never tried to do so, it just does not make sense that I would/should be able to have someone moved just so I could sit in the seat they have already taken!

IMHO, a MM that is STILL flying should outrank a lowly 75k
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctporter
IMHO, a MM that is STILL flying should outrank a lowly 75k
I like the way you think ^
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I think there's a thread a couple of months ago where someone thought/was told they were bumped for a 75K and that was shot down as the reason.

You might consider dropping a line to AS, not for compensation, but simply because their IT is falling down. They need to do swaps or whatever's going on without reshuffling pax from their selected seats. I'm sure you're far from the only one annoyed with that. I know I would be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.