Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Present state(as of 4/30/18)
  • AS/VX flights consolidated from T8/T4 to T7 in late 2017
  • Terminal 7 under construction
    • No TSA Precheck
    • Limited restaurant choices
  • Lounges:
    • Purchased day pass option revoked for Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in T4
    • Alaska Lounge in T7 opened on April 30 2018. Accepts Priority Pass (usual caveats apply, see Priority Pass Denied Entry thread). Will be open 5 AM-10 PM, except 5 AM-5 PM on Saturdays.
    • No day pass access to BA lounge
Print Wikipost

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Fraser
Depending upon what kind of operation AS decide there's possibility they could use their own lounge..
More than a possibility.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...laska-Airlines

Alaska recently announced it will build an airport lounge at JFK, which will open in early 2018.
Definitely working the BA partnership angle it seems:

Steve Clark, Executive Vice President of British Airways, North America, said "We're excited to have Alaska Airlines and Virgin America join us at JFK Terminal 7. We are investing $65 million to modernize the terminal, offering enhanced food and retail concession experience as well as new seating areas near the gates for improved customer comfort. British Airways and Alaska Airlines have been frequent flyer program partners and we are delighted to have them co-locate at JFK and extend this partnership."
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
There are total 13 gates in JFK T7 .

Currently, VX seem to use A2 heavily, with sporatic A6 & A7 in Terminal 4.
AS currently uses only gate 35 in Terminal 8.

With the current roster of Airlines in JFK T7, I'd presume there are lot of opportunitites for flights in the AM hours to many destinations. I wonder how many gates combined AS+VX would use at peak hours....

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Apr 25, 2017 at 6:51 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Fraser
There is vacant lounge space in T7. United had a RCC and IFL there until 2015. At one point soon after UA left JFK there was talk of BA taking it over but I've not heard anything since about that.
That RCC (as well as the IFL) was pretty worn. They'll need to do a lot of refurbishing inside of it. But I don't think there is any space left in T7 for AS to build a new lounge outright.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Fanjet
That RCC (as well as the IFL) was pretty worn. They'll need to do a lot of refurbishing inside of it. But I don't think there is any space left in T7 for AS to build a new lounge outright.
Partner with BA?

*no idea of T-7's setup...

Saw the press release this morning- but was trying to get ready for work
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
Partner with BA?

*no idea of T-7's setup...

Saw the press release this morning- but was trying to get ready for work
No, it's going to be an United Club or Global First Lounge refurb.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Shouldn't be THAT hard to do that.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
There are total 13 gates in JFK T7 .

Currently, VX seem to use A2 heavily, with sporatic A6 & A7 in Terminal 4.
AS currently uses only gate 35 in Terminal 8.

With the current roster of Airlines in JFK T7, I'd presume there are lot of opportunitites for flights in the AM hours to many destinations. I wonder how many gates combined AS+VX would use at peak hours....

Jiburi
For now at least, 1 x AS, and 12 x VX. Pretty evenly spread, but only two flights after 5pm. Seems like a good use of empty capacity at JFK. BA could probably even get some PP revenue early in the day, a la IAD.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
A little elaboration announced re: British Airways' investment at JFK. While much of the video isn't applicable to AS customers it's nice to see they'll be thinking about the shopping, dining, and gate experiences.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...ks-terminal-7/
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
BAD LINK

Someone posted a link.

This is the corrected link.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...laska-Airlines
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:38 pm

For my SFO - JFK flights, I definitely prefer either T8 or T4. I generally take redeye flights and the private shower facilities at T8's AC & T4's Sky Club offer a welcome respite before heading into the city.

When transferring to an Int'l flight, then I don't mind; hoping on the air tran is easy enough. However, with no tsa-pre, departing from T7 on a domestic flight will be deal breaker.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
BA has been issuing construction advisories that I am concerned will affect AS in its early T7 days. I don't know what the new setup will be, and I haven't been to T7 since UA departed, but I'd expect that there will still only be one central security checkpoint.

"British Airways have been notified by the JFK Terminal 7 programme that during the next phase of construction from 22 Jun to end of Jan 2018 there is going to be a delay getting through security at JFK. This will affect all World Traveller and World Traveller Plus customers on flights departing after 1700hrs. British Airways are advising customers to allow an extra hour at the airport to ensure that they reach their gate on time.

It is anticipated that it will take longer than normal to complete security screening at New York JFK Terminal 7. This is due to the terminal improvement works that are taking place. Please allow an extra hour at the airport to ensure that you reach your gate on time."
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Date of T7 Move

Has there been any update to when the move to T7 is happening? All I have seen is that "by October."
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by OhioExile
Has there been any update to when the move to T7 is happening? All I have seen is that "by October."
Which year? 2017. 2018. 2019?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Way late to this but from the press release:

Together, Alaska and Virgin America operate 14 flights a day to JFK from key West Coast international gateways including Seattle, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco.
[snip]
The airlines will join Alaska Global Partners British Airways, Qantas and Icelandair in Terminal 7, providing guests convenient access to a combined 13 daily flights to top global destinations across Europe and Australia.
Emphasis mine.

That's some PR-speak right there. From JFK, Qantas flies to LAX before continuing to Australia. Is anyone actually going to fly AS from the west coast to JFK just to turn around on Qantas back to LAX?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ty97
Way late to this but from the press release:

Emphasis mine.

That's some PR-speak right there. From JFK, Qantas flies to LAX before continuing to Australia. Is anyone actually going to fly AS from the west coast to JFK just to turn around on Qantas back to LAX?
I don't think that second excerpt has anything to do with AS/partner connections.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Which year? 2017. 2018. 2019?
Heh - they should just go with October 201X. Or October 20XX. Keep options open.

But to double check, there hasn't been any discussion? October (2017... heh) is 54 days away...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.