Free movies are here to stay

Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Free movies are here to stay

Buried in this news release:

Free movies – In January, Alaska launched a temporary promotion offering its entire catalog of more than 200 movies and TV shows for free. Starting now, free entertainment on guests' own devices will be a permanent feature on its Boeing fleet and the same free library of movies and TV shows will expand to Airbus aircraft via Red entertainment system in August 2017. Guests on Airbus aircraft will continue to enjoy access to early release movies for purchase.
Yay!

Neil
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
(wrong thread...)

Last edited by jinglish; Mar 22, 2017 at 6:01 pm Reason: oops
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Good news indeed!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Great...or is it?...

With free inflight entertainment, here to stay, I'm concerned the day of digiplayers are numbered. With digiplayer sales impacted, wouldn't Alaska simply eliminate the player altogether? Am concerned.

Jiburi
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jiburi
Great...or is it?...

With free inflight entertainment, here to stay, I'm concerned the day of digiplayers are numbered. With digiplayer sales impacted, wouldn't Alaska simply eliminate the player altogether? Am concerned.

Jiburi
I think the tablets (dige's have been retired) still have some life left, as those in F probably still want some content provided. Also there is some difference in the movies shown on the players and via gogo.

I'm excited to have free streaming content here to stay (thought the promo might be extended too )
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Buried in this news release:

Yay!

Neil
This is great news....the only aircraft not falling into the Boeing or Airbus category would be the E175s....hopefully the free content will expand to those aircraft in the near future, especially since QX will be taking over some of that flying. Perhaps this will be another differentiator between mainline AS and the QX E175s?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
I think the tablets (dige's have been retired) still have some life left, as those in F probably still want some content provided. Also there is some difference in the movies shown on the players and via gogo.

I'm excited to have free streaming content here to stay (thought the promo might be extended too )
I think the tablets will still serve a purpose...especially for families where everyone doesn't necessarily have their own tablet (like mine).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
This makes me happy - great news! Thanks Alaska!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Does streaming content work on Hawaii or Costa Rica flights?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This is great news....the only aircraft not falling into the Boeing or Airbus category would be the E175s....hopefully the free content will expand to those aircraft in the near future, especially since QX will be taking over some of that flying. Perhaps this will be another differentiator between mainline AS and the QX E175s?
E175's have streaming content...and it was free when I tried it last month. It didn't have everything the Boeings had however
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Does streaming content work on Hawaii or Costa Rica flights?
Even Cuba ^
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
E175's have streaming content...and it was free when I tried it last month. It didn't have everything the Boeings had however
That's odd Based on the announcement, it sounds like Alaska Beyond streaming will still be available on E175s, but perhaps the movies won't be free (after March) since they specified that they would be free only on Boeing and Airbus aircraft.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:24 am
vgc

I've never tried the free streaming (don't have a tablet or laptop). Has anyone ever tried it on their smartphone? How is it?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That's odd Based on the announcement, it sounds like Alaska Beyond streaming will still be available on E175s, but perhaps the movies won't be free (after March) since they specified that they would be free only on Boeing and Airbus aircraft.
If I had to guess they just didn't want to muddle the message that's targeted towards mainline Virgin and Alaska flyers. The message starts to get really muddled if you keep throwing in different aircraft types.

Neil
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Originally Posted by vgc
I've never tried the free streaming (don't have a tablet or laptop). Has anyone ever tried it on their smartphone? How is it?
I use my smartphone for short hauls. It works just fine. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.