Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijkh
Can anyone reassure me about using Condor flights? I worry about delays, switched out aircraft, and the "flat lay J seat" that looks not very flat.
Are you saying it doesn't look flat, or just that it doesn't horizontal? (If you're seeing pictures online, please provide a link. Thanks.) "Flat lay" is just marketing speak which can mean just about anything, so really means nothing.

A board with no bends standing vertically is still flat, it's just not horizontal.

A board with a nasty bulge in it may be horizontal, but not at all flat.

So flat doesn't refer to whether it's at an angle or not, it refers to the lack of bends.

I'd much rather sleep on a flat bed that's slightly tilted (like AA's first "next generation" seats on 763s about a dozen years ago), than on a bed with a painful bulge in it (fortunately on a westbound daytime flight where I didn't need to sleep) that's exactly horizontal.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you saying it doesn't look flat, or just that it doesn't horizontal? (If you're seeing pictures online, please provide a link. Thanks.) "Flat lay" is just marketing speak which can mean just about anything, so really means nothing.

A board with no bends standing vertically is still flat, it's just not horizontal.

A board with a nasty bulge in it may be horizontal, but not at all flat.

So flat doesn't refer to whether it's at an angle or not, it refers to the lack of bends.

I'd much rather sleep on a flat bed that's slightly tilted (like AA's first "next generation" seats on 763s about a dozen years ago), than on a bed with a painful bulge in it (fortunately on a westbound daytime flight where I didn't need to sleep) that's exactly horizontal.
Looks like the UA premium transcon F seat from a few years ago

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Or the standard issue "I'm a slanty flatseat" on some other airlines like OZ and TG:

Or LH's old business class:

Not ideal for sleeping but OK during a day flight
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, "not ideal for sleeping" is still a lot better than "pretty useless for sleeping", like Alaska's typical F seat, no?

And there's a lot of things between the two, like the recliner seats in J on Iceland Air (another Alaska partner).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:24 pm

New to AS (from VX) and wanted to make sure I'm reading this correctly from the Partner rewards.

As MVP Gold, RT from SFO - CDG (via SEA/PDX) would earn the following:

1. 11,356 Miles flown (LH will leg will not count, I assume).
2. 11,356 from the 100% MVP Gold bonus.
3. 11,356 from 100% Cabin bonus.
4. 11,356 from 100% additional bonus.

Total earned: 45,424
Elite miles earned: 22,712

Is that right?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:07 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AF/KL, not great inventory, oh, and at minimum you're connecting to YVR, possibly SFO/LAX/YYC/IAH
Not great...? I have yet to see one AF/KL seat show up on miscellaneous award searches over the course of months (or even years...?).
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Visconti
New to AS (from VX) and wanted to make sure I'm reading this correctly from the Partner rewards.

As MVP Gold, RT from SFO - CDG (via SEA/PDX) would earn the following:

1. 11,356 Miles flown (LH will leg will not count, I assume).
2. 11,356 from the 100% MVP Gold bonus.
3. 11,356 from 100% Cabin bonus.
4. 11,356 from 100% additional bonus.

Total earned: 45,424
Elite miles earned: 22,712

Is that right?
Best to post from where to where via what you are going. Not clear which leg is on LH, not clear whether you are going SFO-SEA-CDG-PDX-SFO or what. Assuming DE goes to FRA and you have to pay for a FRA-CDG leg in there somwhere maybe?

Having said all that, personally I'd never fly DE for a route (or close to) that I can do on BA. BA's business class is above and beyond that of DE and the additional 50% booking class bonus for DE don't make up for the ...... seating for the money for me. YMMV

If you go SFO-LHR-CDG on BA you'll end up with transatlantic booked as I and Euro booked as J

SFO-LHR RT I 37,570
LHR-CDG RT J 4,500

Total 42,070

If you want to save money and don't mind spending extra time you go SFO-LHR-DUB on a BA ticket and then DUB-CDG on KLM

SFO-LHR-DUB RT will also be split between I and J and yield the same 42,070 miles, plus the DUB-CDG RT on KLM I for 2,250 miles, which gets you closer to the same 45k miles you listed for DE.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
Best to post from where to where via what you are going. Not clear which leg is on LH, not clear whether you are going SFO-SEA-CDG-PDX-SFO or what. Assuming DE goes to FRA and you have to pay for a FRA-CDG leg in there somwhere maybe?
Given that Condor flies PDX/SEA-FRA, I would assume

SFO-SEA/PDX on AS
SEA/PDX-FRA on DE
FRA-CDG on LH

Visconti's interpretation of the math rules for RDM and EQM looks right to me.

How do the fares compare between your preferred BA routing and the one on DE via FRA?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How do the fares compare between your preferred BA routing and the one on DE via FRA?
Really depends on the dates but just ballparking it more than 21 days out it looks to be about 10% more expensive to go SFO-LHR-DUB on BA and then DUB-CDG as second ticket on AF in I. Going on AF in Economy lowers the cost difference to ~5%. Though of course there is opportunity cost of screwing around with two different tickets. Timing allows for short layover in DUB.

OTOH Dublin may be worth a night's stay to check out the Guinness brewery and Jameson distillery, do a Howth Cliff walk, or head down to the beach at Greystones.

OP could consider to just book SFO-SEA/PDX-FRA via DE and then get a second ticket for FRA-CDG on AF for more AS miles.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Just booked a flight that earns 100% miles on DE (SFO-PDX-FRA) 14 days out for $600.
~$3200 for a 100% EQM fare on BA/AF on the same day.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: lots of little things
Redemption is live this morning, I see results when searching sea-fra but no charts yet either on the dynamic award chart page or the Condor specific partner page.

Add:
I see 25k, 30k, and 40k economy (tiered like FI?); 45K premium economy; 55k business class

Last edited by dc333; May 16, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old May 16, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by dc333
Redemption is live this morning, I see results when searching sea-fra but no charts yet either on the dynamic award chart page or the Condor specific partner page.

Add:
I see 25k, 30k, and 40k economy (tiered like FI?); 45K premium economy; 55k business class
What were the fees?
Old May 16, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by quemalo
What were the fees?
$19 - no fuel surcharge
Old May 16, 2017, 10:25 am

$19 - no fuel surcharge
That's good to hear. I was worried it would be like FI or BA with the huge fuel charges. I have to fly to FRA/TXL once or twice a year, so the non-stop flight to FRA will be a nice change from either BA to TXL via LHR or AA to FRA via DFW.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Add:
It would seem so. There seems to be decent availability.

Given that AA/AF/KL J is like finding a needle in a haystack (and none of them are nonstop once you go TATL), EK J is way overpriced in miles, FI J is really domestic F + $$ in YQ, and BA J is $$$$$$ in YQ, I'm likely to redeem for DE J for Europe. I've flew LH J nonstop out of FRA back in 2012 when they had slanty seats. This doesn't really seem any worse...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.