Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Hmmm....maybe AS will be striking another excellent deal with Ryan Air for those intra-European routes. Seriously, at least for premium cabin redemptions, it's hard to get real excited about going from lie-flats and at least the possibility of F to angled 19" wide seats in 2-2-2 J. I'll pass.
Yeah for redemptions not that exciting. For paid J at the price of Y+ it makes a lot of sense, it's like the La Compagnie of the West coast.

I hope they start flying SFO-FRA to link up with the new AS hub. It was surprising that they added SAN instead recently.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SFOPeter

I hope they start flying SFO-FRA to link up with the new AS hub. It was surprising that they added SAN instead recently.
There are already three flights from SFO to FRA (2x UA, 1x LH) and two to MUC (one, UA, seasonal). Plus Eurowings to SJC, and Air Berlin to DUS and TXL think?

There were none to SAN, as far as I know.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 28, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
FYI, I just called Condor to ask how to add my Alaska Air FF# to my reservation (from SAN to FRA). The agent said I had to add it when I check in at the airport. Also on the return, VIE-FRA on Lufthansa he said I could add my *A number for that leg and then I have to check in again in FRA and add my Alaska Air #, I can't do it once at check in in SAN. Flying in June Business, will see how it goes. A direct flight to FRA from SAN is a bonus.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
There are already three flights from SFO to FRA (2x UA, 1x LH) and two to MUC (one, UA, seasonal). Plus Eurowings to SJC, and Air Berlin to DUS and TXL think?

There were none to SAN, as far as I know.
Indeed, they must be avoiding competition as they expand - they are picking some unique destinations. That said, they fly YYZ-FRA which similar to SFO has 1x LH and 2x AC directs.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Yeah for redemptions not that exciting. For paid J at the price of Y+ it makes a lot of sense, it's like the La Compagnie of the West coast.

Well, let's see. If you're going out of SEA (where I hear Alaska has a few elites), your premium class redemption options to Europe will be these once DL leaves...

BA, enjoy your $300-500 YQ
AA, good luck finding any, and you probably have to go out of DFW/ORD/JFK, so a fairly long domestic positioning flight
AF/KL, not great inventory, oh, and at minimum you're connecting to YVR, possibly SFO/LAX/YYC/IAH
EK: hahahaha, enjoy spending those miles plus the 10 hour detour to Dubai
FI, 757s and domestic F, but sure, maybe, Iceland is pretty cool

All told for a daytime flight I would rather go nonstop/onestop in an older seat than add 4-5 hours and a connection to get a lie-flat- daytime sleeping is hard. So, sure, I would consider Condor as a redemption. Yes, it's not as good cpm as EK, but it's not like I have 5 figures of cash to throw down for EK Shower Class (or the six figures of AS miles) so that cpm figure is strictly notional anyway. I'd rather pay for college for my kid.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, let's see. If you're going out of SEA (where I hear Alaska has a few elites), your premium class redemption options to Europe will be these once DL leaves...

AA, good luck finding any, and you probably have to go out of DFW/ORD/JFK, so a fairly long domestic positioning flight
AF/KL, not great inventory, oh, and at minimum you're connecting to YVR, possibly SFO/LAX/YYC/IAH

All told for a daytime flight I would rather go nonstop/onestop in an older seat than add 4-5 hours and a connection to get a lie-flat- daytime sleeping is hard. So, sure, I would consider Condor as a redemption. Yes, it's not as good cpm as EK, but it's not like I have 5 figures of cash to throw down for EK Shower Class (or the six figures of AS miles) so that cpm figure is strictly notional anyway. I'd rather pay for college for my kid.
Fair point... if you have primarily AS miles out of SEA (I imagine a lot of folks here), it's a great option. If you have a bunch of miles across programs and redeem well ahead, you should go for lieflat and keep AS/Condor in your backpocket.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:40 am
Suspended

I think AS miles are no good for Europe travel. Their best usage IMHO is to book J on JL or CX to Asia.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I think AS miles are no good for Europe travel. Their best usage IMHO is to book J on JL or CX to Asia.
That's only useful usage if you want to go to Asia. If you actually want to go to Europe...

With all due respect, the FTer urge to ignore where you actually are going and overvalue Krug and caviar is strong here, but sometimes you actually have a specific travel destination in mind, and the showers on the plane are secondary considerations.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

That's only useful usage if you want to go to Asia. If you actually want to go to Europe...

With all due respect, the FTer urge to ignore where you actually are going and overvalue Krug and caviar is strong here, but sometimes you actually have a specific travel destination in mind, and the showers on the plane are secondary considerations.
That's not what I mean.
Every mileage program has its sweet spot. For AS, it is Asia redemptions. Why? Because you get to fly J for the least amount of miles (DL and UA are 80K+).
For Europe, I think DL is still best. Partner metal is 70K one-way and no fuel surcharges. Occasionally, DL has a sale for about 55K one-way on its own metal.
For South America, I prefer UA as it charges 55K one-way in J.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
That's not what I mean.
Every mileage program has its sweet spot. For AS, it is Asia redemptions. Why? Because you get to fly J for the least amount of miles (DL and UA are 80K+).
For Europe, I think DL is still best. Partner metal is 70K one-way and no fuel surcharges. Occasionally, DL has a sale for about 55K one-way on its own metal.
I prefer the one that has seats available to where I want to go on the dates I need to travel. Even if it isn't the best (theoretically) possible redemption value
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I prefer the one that has seats available to where I want to go on the dates I need to travel. Even if it isn't the best (theoretically) possible redemption value

Award availability fluctuates. Keep checking every day from the moment schedule opens.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not what I mean.
That's nice if you can accrue in multiple programs. That's a lot of credit card spend if you don't regularly fly *A or SkyTeam a lot to go along with AS, though.

If you by chance don't fly 150k+ miles a year (and really have the luxury to accrue everywhere) and don't generate six figures of churning/spend to get annual 100k point balances to burn on J flights every year though, there's pretty good reasons to accrue AS (a mile flown is a mile earned).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

That's nice if you can accrue in multiple programs. That's a lot of credit card spend if you don't regularly fly *A or SkyTeam a lot to go along with AS, though.

If you by chance don't fly 150k+ miles a year (and really have the luxury to accrue everywhere) and don't generate six figures of churning/spend to get annual 100k point balances to burn on J flights every year though, there's pretty good reasons to accrue AS (a mile flown is a mile earned).
I am flexible. If I have no miles in the preferred account, I rather not go.
But as of today, I have 100,000+ miles in AS, BA, DL, and UA.
Of course, I just buy business class when I think the price is right and do not bother with redeeming miles.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:19 am

I am flexible. If I have no miles in the preferred account, I rather not go.
But as of today, I have 100,000+ miles in AS, BA, DL, and UA.
Of course, I just buy business class when I think the price is right and do not bother with redeeming miles.
I totally agree with you. I bank AS for Asia and Hawaii, and have plenty of miles in other programs for other destinations.

What he is saying is that Condor is a great new option to Europe for folks based in SEA that are banking primarily AS miles. So literally, your mileage may vary.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
The Condor connection is very convenient for PDX AS folks due to the nonstop to FRA. Still, I read such terrible reviews of their service and aircraft. Also a lot of the flights on the Condor web site include non-Condor connections. So making sure to only purchase points worthy flights is more a challenge. Again truly YMMV.

Can anyone reassure me about using Condor flights? I worry about delays, switched out aircraft, and the "flat lay J seat" that looks not very flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.