Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
This is good. Additional options to earn and use miles is a benefit. Anyone flown them?
Flew Premium Economy last year SEA-FRA. Not bad. Ground ops were ok, not great. No PreCheck. Just used the Gold lane for that.

Crazy that they charge extra to get an advance seat assignment. Paid extra for an "upgraded meal" Not really worth the extra $.

Was about to book on DL a similar flight and found out that they do the exact same thing (charging extra for an advanced seat assignment)

Really irritating.

The good news is that Business on Condor is about the same as a full fare coach flight on DL. And you don't get dinged for seat selection. Getting double EQMs + 100% bonus miles is going to be sweet.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Assuming that the redemption options outside of FRA aren't complete garbage. Looking at their network, I would wonder if Condor is going to want to let an AS award pax redeem SEA-FRA-JTR/PMI in the middle of peak tourist season, even for 45k in Y (let alone 55k for J). Seems about as likely as AS allowing unlimited Christmas saver SEA-HNL redemptions.

Oh, interesting: access to PMI? Via LH. Bet you're not getting that on an award. Or with miles. Wonder how many other places are like that.

Oh, even more interesting.... SEA to PEK via FRA with CA doing the FRA-PEK segment. Bet you're not getting AS miles or awards for THAT...

It looks like a TON of DE's destinations in Europe are served by *A carriers on the last leg: A3, LH, SK. Um. Looks like DE does a ton of interline. I have a hard time believing you're going to get an AS award where LH, SK or A3 is the last carrier...
Hmmm....maybe AS will be striking another excellent deal with Ryan Air for those intra-European routes. Seriously, at least for premium cabin redemptions, it's hard to get real excited about going from lie-flats and at least the possibility of F to angled 19" wide seats in 2-2-2 J. I'll pass.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Plus there are *double* EQMs for flying Business Class.

And not having to fly to Seattle to get to Europe? Priceless ...
OMG yes
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This is great news. Since Condor will begin service out of SAN in a few weeks. The best part about them is that you can buy cheap one-way tickets on them. Plus, they code-share with LH out of FRA to several European destinations (although you probably won't earn any AS MP miles on those flights) for not much more than the price of a ticket to/from the U.S. and FRA. But just a note to those wanting to fly them in business class: those seats are flat-angled (like the previous LH J seat was).

Now, AS needs to partner with Edelweiss, and I will be completely happy.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Part of a triangle route iirc...
Not anymore. Now it's FRA-ANC-FAI-FRA on Thursdays.

ANC and YXY see non-triangle nonstops to FRA on other days of the week.

Fun fact...FAI is the smallest market in North America with service to Europe.

Between this and ANC-KEF on FI, it's a good time for Alaskans to be going to Europe.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Alaskans having to backtrack to Asia is pretty brutal too. I'm not surprised somebody hasn't tried maybe a seasonal service to TYO.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by keitherson
Alaskans having to backtrack to Asia is pretty brutal too. I'm not surprised somebody hasn't tried maybe a seasonal service to TYO.
NW did ANC-NRT for a few years in the 90's. CI flew ANC-TPE up until 2011 or 2012, IIRC. Realistically, demand-wise it's probably a 737 route.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Chugach
Between this and ANC-KEF on FI, it's a good time for Alaskans to be going to Europe.

For those who are keeping track, it may be worth pointing out that business class on Condor (DE) has 170 degree angled flat seats with 60 inch pitch, while Saga Class on Iceland Air (FI) has recliner seats with 40 inch pitch.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Alaska
I'm excited about this for the earning potential in business class. But it looks like business class isn't available on some routes. Specifically, it appears they farm out the BWI-FRA route to Thomas Cook Airlines. Check out DE2075, for example. It's a Condor flight number, but operated by Thomas Cook using an all-economy 767 . There's a bit of premium economy seating, but the reviews on SeatGuru aren't that great:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Th...tno=2075&date=

I wonder if this particular flight counts for AS miles. I'm guessing yes, since the flight number is within the acceptable range and Condor and Thomas Cook appear to be jointly owned.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Chugach
NW did ANC-NRT for a few years in the 90's. CI flew ANC-TPE up until 2011 or 2012, IIRC. Realistically, demand-wise it's probably a 737 route.
Maybe a 3x a week JAL 788 v1?

Or, a future AS 737-MAX in some sort of profit-sharing arrangement w/ JAL?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Did anyone else notice the coverage of this partnership in the American Business Journals today? The CEO of Condor noted how Condor's new routes would serve some of Alaska's newer gateways. He mentioned two of those gateways specifically...one of which was Pittsburgh...INTERESTING! Perhaps an indication of a new Alaska destination on the horizon (no pun intended)?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Khaleesi
I wonder if this particular flight counts for AS miles. I'm guessing yes, since the flight number is within the acceptable range and Condor and Thomas Cook appear to be jointly owned.
I'm confused about the codeshare arrangement with Thomas Cook. For example, if I search for a SFO-FRA flight on Jun 1, the best option is a Thomas Cook and LH operated itinerary via MAN. Both flights fall in the eligible range for AS miles; the Thomas Cook SFO-MAN flight codeshares as DE 2865. But now if I search for SFO-MAN on the same date, the exact same Thomas Cook flight codeshares as DE 5865, outside the eligible range. Very strange...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Hopefully the partnership will be extended to Thomas Cook flights.

Last edited by UA Fan; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Khaleesi
I'm excited about this for the earning potential in business class. But it looks like business class isn't available on some routes. Specifically, it appears they farm out the BWI-FRA route to Thomas Cook Airlines. Check out DE2075, for example. It's a Condor flight number, but operated by Thomas Cook using an all-economy 767 . There's a bit of premium economy seating, but the reviews on SeatGuru aren't that great:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Th...tno=2075&date=
2-4-2 in a 767. 😱

Fortunately their A332s have a much nicer layout; 2-4-2 in Y and 2-3-2 in Y+.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by milypan
2-4-2 in a 767. 😱
I've actually experienced a 2-4-2 767 before, flying KBP-JFK on PS. Maybe it's just because I'm short and skinny, but I didn't think the seat width was the worst part of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.