Free meals in Coach?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Free meals in Coach?

Wonder how long til AS matches this?

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/delt...ls-12-markets/
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Surprised by SEA-SAN...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Surprised by SEA-SAN...
huh? it sez SEA-BOS/RDU/MCO/FLL/JFK and JFK-SAN/PDX
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by beaver
Wonder how long til AS matches this?

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/delt...ls-12-markets/
I had the same thought... definitely puts some pressure on AS services out of SEA.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jrl767
huh? it sez SEA-BOS/RDU/MCO/FLL/JFK and JFK-SAN/PDX
Well, maybe I read that wrong.

Soo much clearer when airport codes are used in FT format
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well, maybe I read that wrong.
from New York’s JFK to Portland (Oregon), San Diego and Seattle;

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:45 pm

On those longer routes, AS doesn't have free meals, but does have hot items for purchase - which I've often enjoyed in the past. I'm not sure that the listed DL options are all cold or not, but they could be. I'm irrelevant because the only place where I'd have competing AS/DL to choose from is on BOS-SEA, but I'd probably still decide based on schedule and then price.

I suppose this doesn't change anything for me in selection, only because I would have rather flown AS or DL as my top choices anyhow. A free meal isn't more important to me than schedule or price, but it does signal to me that DL is committed to a better experience than the other legacies - and it was already better to begin with.

I hope it goes without saying, but I would not add a connection solely based on a free sandwich in coach.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:07 pm

I actually prefer that coach meals be for purchase. Whenever I get free coach meals(I'm thinking of United international coach here) I find them inedible but I usually like the meals that I purchase. It seems like a little capitalism improves the quality. Meals for purchase have to compete with what's available at the gate. I usually find the AS hot meals and/or cheese plate an ok choice for the money and I wouldn't want to see them replaced with those awful tv dinner kind of things that I have seen.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AS is pretty protective of their fruit and cheese platter so I can't see them giving that away for free on any flight....even first class passengers "officially" have to pay for it
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
the free "meal" on Hawaiian is very hit or miss. But what happened at Hawaiian was the pay-for-meals were eventually removed entirely, so now its their super tiny free "meal" and then the pau hana snack bar (which is all fee-based).

What I am surprised Alaska doesn't do is what Delta and American did in the early 2000s and late 1990s - was offered a grab bag in a cooler on the jetway. have a small sandwich with a munchie, and keep offering BoB services.

unfortunately a google search doesn't show any pictures or reminders of it.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
the free "meal" on Hawaiian is very hit or miss. But what happened at Hawaiian was the pay-for-meals were eventually removed entirely, so now its their super tiny free "meal" and then the pau hana snack bar (which is all fee-based).

What I am surprised Alaska doesn't do is what Delta and American did in the early 2000s and late 1990s - was offered a grab bag in a cooler on the jetway. have a small sandwich with a munchie, and keep offering BoB services.

unfortunately a google search doesn't show any pictures or reminders of it.
Similar to what DL does with IRROPS?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
My fear is that this turns into a marketing checkbox. We offer a free meal, we're great! Never mind that it's tiny and terrible. I'd rather pay separately for decent food than have the cost of poor food built into my fare. Hawaiian's free meals are often horrible and I fear that will be the benchmark.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:02 pm

AS will need to step up their game...make the currently free streaming entertainment permanent, free snack offerings ala JetBlue at a minimum.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by finlandia
My fear is that this turns into a marketing checkbox. We offer a free meal, we're great! Never mind that it's tiny and terrible. I'd rather pay separately for decent food than have the cost of poor food built into my fare. Hawaiian's free meals are often horrible and I fear that will be the benchmark.
I think Delta will be the benchmark. Look for more of this from the remainder of the Big 3 + others if Delta keeps or widens its program.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I flew Delta twice solely because of AVOD but their selection is getting worse so no more use of that as a tie breaker.

Meals are convenient if you're too busy to bring food. Otherwise, I usually bring food or eat in the airport before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.