Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Old May 2, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Thanks for the response, but sorry, I don't quite understand the bolded portion, can you clarify?
I guess I will either have to bring pancakes out to my wife and kids when I have a red-eye getting in at 5, or just pray that PP gets a new club somewhere in LAX before late August.
Or you can do the proper thing and bring your wife and kids to a dining establishment and feed them there. That will work better than prayer, and also, be less embarrassing than an AS agent scolding you for taking food out of the lounge, and perhaps (hopefully) removing it from your possession.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Thanks for the response, but sorry, I don't quite understand the bolded portion, can you clarify?
I guess I will either have to bring pancakes out to my wife and kids when I have a red-eye getting in at 5, or just pray that PP gets a new club somewhere in LAX before late August.
Meant to say even without me having gone there recently. They can't have swipes saying that guests were allowed in. Pp gets that info.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Or you can do the proper thing and bring your wife and kids to a dining establishment and feed them there. That will work better than prayer, and also, be less embarrassing than an AS agent scolding you for taking food out of the lounge, and perhaps (hopefully) removing it from your possession.
And get better food, too.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any suggestions for 5AM? And didn't realize there was a no food outside of premises rule, kind of a bummer for travelers on the go. Again as many people have pointed out, too bad Alaska Airlines and PP couldn't do the "proper" thing and honor their commitments. But thanks for the etiquette lesson.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Meant to say even without me having gone there recently. They can't have swipes saying that guests were allowed in. Pp gets that info.
Thanks for explaining, I wasn't sure if I was missing some sort of lingo or just not reading what you wrote correctly. Makes sense. Maybe things will change for the better before the trip. We'll see!
Old May 2, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Thanks for explaining, I wasn't sure if I was missing some sort of lingo or just not reading what you wrote correctly. Makes sense. Maybe things will change for the better before the trip. We'll see!
There is KAL lounge that allows 2 guests. Connected through tunnel from Alaska terminal
Old May 2, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
There is KAL lounge that allows 2 guests. Connected through tunnel from Alaska terminal
I Think I will end up using that on the way back since i have a mid-day layover, but the out-bound flight is a red-eye to San Diego, I get in at 5AM. Unfortunately, KAL doesn't open up until 9AM even if they are willing to let me in earlier than the PP posted times (which I read they have allowed). Bummers all around, I happily booked my flight with Delta traveling through LAX with a 3+ hour layover because I saw that the Alaska Lounge was in the same terminal or just a short tunnel walk. Then I found out about the terminal change for Delta, and at first it was OK because Maple Lounge and Loft were at least on the same side of the airport that Delta was moving to, but then found out they were moving and was just resigned to making the hike across the airport. Now they go and changed things up with the guest policy and they are the only PP available so I guess my best-laid plans just went kaput.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AS
Welcome to the new landscape of traveling. Those of us who fly often are caught by last minute swaps, I can imagine infrequent travelers are not prepared.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Any suggestions for 5AM? And didn't realize there was a no food outside of premises rule, kind of a bummer for travelers on the go. Again as many people have pointed out, too bad Alaska Airlines and PP couldn't do the "proper" thing and honor their commitments. But thanks for the etiquette lesson.
If you were hoping to bring food out to your family that doesn't fall under "travelers on the go".

This reminds me of a Reddit post the other day... the OP mentioned that it was obnoxious for AS to not allow guests anymore and how they had to go to The Club at the other side of the airport. When asked how many were with him, their reply? A total of SIX.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
If you were hoping to bring food out to your family that doesn't fall under "travelers on the go".

This reminds me of a Reddit post the other day... the OP mentioned that it was obnoxious for AS to not allow guests anymore and how they had to go to The Club at the other side of the airport. When asked how many were with him, their reply? A total of SIX.
Sooner or later, all PP lounges will have a guest limit or no guest access.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:57 am

LAX - Sign out 4/30 evening
Old May 3, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by adioman6000
LAX - Sign out 4/30 evening
Can anyone report if the signs have come down, in particular at PDX, now that the no guest rule is in force?
Old May 3, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA1K
if the lounges start to get crowded, AS' commitment first is to their customers, not PP.

5am? doubt anything is open. but bringing food out of the lounge should be fairly low on the priority list with so many options in the terminal. best you can hope for is a centurion lounge opening between T6 and T7.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:54 pm

too bad Alaska Airlines and PP couldn't do the "proper" thing and honor their commitments.
It's not clear that AS isn't honoring it's commitment. We don't know what the agreement between AS and PP is and it could be that the contract allows for them to restrict entry to just the cardholder.

The problem is with PP. While they have different versions of the card the one they offer with some cards expressly includes the right to bring guests. It's their responsibility to deliver what they promised.

But there is another level to this and that's the credit card company. They also made the representation regarding guests. They also were paid a not insubstantial annual fee. So they too have an obligation to deliver on what they promised.

So absent a copy of the agreement between Alaska and PP we don't know what they committed to. But even if they did break their agreement with PP that's between the two of them. Our beef is with PP for not delivering what they promised and with the credit card company for taking our money for one thing, a pass that includes guest, and delivering something that is substantially less.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
if the lounges start to get crowded, AS' commitment first is to their customers, not PP.
Not true.

PP is as much a customer of AS as anyone. They both paid for access to the club. If there is an obligation to provide access to one group over the other that would be spelled out in the agreement which I've not seen and I suspect none of us have.

What we know is that PP said that clubs can be closed to PP cardholders under certain conditions. We don't really know what those are, nor whether there a limits on how long or often these period are permitted to be. What we do know is that there was no mention of PP unilaterally and retroactively reducing the benefit of a card from including guests to excluding them for certain locations.

As to whether PP and PP cardholders are customers of AS, of course they are. Did AS agreement with PP allow them to remove guesting privileges? We don't know. Did PP disclose they reserved the right to cancel guesting privileges.

NO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.