Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by berliner5000
But that's the problem, the offerings aren't good and it doesn't really appear that Alaska is doing anything about it. In fact, they're somewhat embarrassing given the offers at both Skyclubs, the Centurion Lounge, and even the Clubs at SEA. (I've never been in a UA club anywhere, so I don't know)

With the Boardrooms refusing to take PP, I have considered purchasing a Boardroom membership (especially for when I fly out of the N gates) but the fact that the food offerings are so lackluster, I can't bring myself to do it. Especially when I have Skyclub membership and AMEX Centurion lounge access.
The food items are unlikely to change, especially if revenue declines due to no more PP and Lounge Buddy visits...I really do think AS is simply trying to create a less crowded oasis for their own lounge membership and given the changes that are taking place, it looks like that's going to happen. There were a few folks on this forum who mentioned that they complained about how crowded the lounges were getting so I'm sure this is at least partly in response to that feedback.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Has it gotten to the point where we are not only reporting whether or not we are admitted, but what kind of reception we're given by the lounge agents ("icy" or "happy")?? Yikes...6 months ago, I could enter whatever Alaska Lounge I wanted and everyone at the desk seemed genuinely happy to see me and swipe my card....I wish we could just turn back time....at least when it comes to our lounge experiences
So many people talk about "lounge dragons", I figured it would be good to point out the distinctly friendly vibe I got when I struggled out of the elevator with my bags and dazed expression.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
4/20 was denied access to the PDX lounge, sign was out. However, the agent was really friendly, nice and apologetic about it--definitely not a "lounge dragon." The lounge was genuinely full--it wasn't a bluff--and she suggested I go across to the Hollywood Theatre and check out a few of the short films, then come back to see if things had changed. I came back, and a delayed flight had departed finally taking about 1/4 of the lounge with it - she swiped my card and I was on my way!

I asked specifically about getting kicked out of Alaska lounges on 5/1, and got a very specific answer: there isn't any official word on that yet, and negotiations are still ongoing. So, we'll see what happens. Maybe there will be a happy ending after all--I certainly hope so!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by TProphet
4/20 was denied access to the PDX lounge, sign was out. However, the agent was really friendly, nice and apologetic about it--definitely not a "lounge dragon." The lounge was genuinely full--it wasn't a bluff--and she suggested I go across to the Hollywood Theatre and check out a few of the short films, then come back to see if things had changed. I came back, and a delayed flight had departed finally taking about 1/4 of the lounge with it - she swiped my card and I was on my way!

I asked specifically about getting kicked out of Alaska lounges on 5/1, and got a very specific answer: there isn't any official word on that yet, and negotiations are still ongoing. So, we'll see what happens. Maybe there will be a happy ending after all--I certainly hope so!
Thanks for the update.

Good to hear @ the Theatre thing being open. Will have to check it out.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Sign out at N gates April 21
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TProphet

According to a response I got from the AS Twitter team, Priority Pass "Select" will no longer be admitted to the PDX lounge starting May 1st...sounds like a done deal to me...I think the "negotiation" has to do with whether or not the same limitation will be applied to the SEA lounges as well.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
According to a response I got from the AS Twitter team, Priority Pass "Select" will no longer be admitted to the PDX lounge starting May 1st...sounds like a done deal to me...I think the "negotiation" has to do with whether or not the same limitation will be applied to the SEA lounges as well.
So they'll go the route of United club as not agreeing pps but allowing PP for the time being. We'll be hearing the CSR newbies crying about how they can't enter lounges with their PPS.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by hiima
So they'll go the route of United club as not agreeing pps but allowing PP for the time being. We'll be hearing the CSR newbies crying about how they can't enter lounges with their PPS.
And the Amex guys and everyone else... I seriously wonder how many paying members PP has... I bet it's like 10% or less domestic members...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Priority Pass doesn't swing much weight. Other lounges deny PP when deem crowded - like the One Lounge at London Gatwick. You have to persist to get in.

I use my AA Club membership to get into the SEA Boardroom - never denied.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had time so I stopped by the PDX lounge this morning and was shocked to find no sign so I went inside for 10-15 min and the lounge was only about 30% full....submitted a 5 star rating for the lounge on Alaska Listens to let them know it was appreciated ^. I will miss not having access to this lounge after May 1st.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Apr 22, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Saturday April 22 8:15 am. SEA D terminal. No sign out, friendly welcome. Club ~75% full
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I use my Amex plat credit to buy a BR membership. Out of pocket $95 as an MVPG. Since I pick up AA access and Amex gives me DL, I've been covered and don't need to deal with PP. UA is odd man out, but only a few segments a year and can use CSR or Amex Gold credit if I really want a day pass.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I use my Amex plat credit to buy a BR membership. Out of pocket $95 as an MVPG. Since I pick up AA access and Amex gives me DL, I've been covered and don't need to deal with PP. UA is odd man out, but only a few segments a year and can use CSR or Amex Gold credit if I really want a day pass.
So net AS Lounge Pass was $95 after $200 AMEX credit?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEA D Lounge has no sign at 8:15am on 4/22/17, but I decided to visit the Centurion Lounge this time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by BarryL
So net AS Lounge Pass was $95 after $200 AMEX credit?
Yup, New member Gold/75 is $295 . New member MVP is $375.
Next year should be less if renewed for MVP member.

Just had a thought, I don't think lounge membership can be used for AmEx travel credit directly. Perhaps using GC will work?

Last edited by pcoll; Apr 22, 2017 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.