Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 7:18 pm

Thanks to everyone who's posting their experiences with the lounges in SEA, PDX and LAX.

If the new policy of no guest means the no PP signs come down except for the occasional times the clubs are full then at least the pass is worth something, although less than promised. But if they keep denying entry even with the new policy then I think that is something worth knowing.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
SEA D Lounge Mon 5/15 at about 12:30pm the sign was out
Old May 19, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: Dust...
Originally Posted by sbedelman
If people are willing to do so it would be great if they could please keep posting whether the sign is out in SEA and PDX. It would be helpful to know whether excluding all PP holders is the norm or only something that happens occasionally.
5/13 PDX 10am. No sign. Admitted. 80%+ full
5/16 PDX 10am. No sign.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:44 am

LAX BR Sat 5/20:

6:45 am sign in front welcoming all partners and Lounge Pass and Priority Pass.

8:30 am sign put out saying Lounge Pass and Priority Pass customers not welcome due to capacity constraints.

Lounge about 70% occupied at time of deployment of sign. Somewhat surprised they would do this early on a Saturday morning.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:30 pm
RJ1

LAX Lounge Mon 5/15 630am - no sign; was admitted
SEA N Lounge Mon 5/22 9am - sign was out. Stepped in, and sure enough, the lounge was packed.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AS 75K
SEA N Lounge - Wednesday 5/24 at 6:30pm, was admitted even though the lounge was a little crowded

I have a SC membership but was just planning to go straight to the gate so it was a nice surprise that I was able to get in.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
5/27/2017... Noticed there was no sign out at PDX, but I decided to hang out in the Hollywood Theatre since I was gonna eat at the Centurion Lounge when I got to SEA.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Today, 5/27/17, noon, no sign out at D club at SEA. Downstairs maybe 20% full.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: HH Silver
5/15 SEA 8am, sign out at the D club. Flying out of the N gates anyway, so went there, where I promptly learned about the new rule of only 1 person. Went in alone, and room was about 20% full. This cements my decision to cancel my Ink card. Was a nice perk while it lasted.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
5/18 SEA N 7:00pm: the agent paused and asked her coworker if they had taken "the sign" down. When he indicated the affirmative, she continued with scanning my card and letting me in, explaining that they sometimes restrict Priority Pass from entering when the lounge is full but that they had just taken the sign indicating such down shortly before I got there. Lounge was maybe 20% full when I entered.

5/18 ANC 11:30pm: no entry allowed for me and a guest despite many seats open in view of the check-in desk (best guess is lounge was about half full). Concierges were apologetic and suggested I try back in half an hour (after the next flight had departed). Tried again about 45 minutes later and they let us in and thanked us for being patient, explaining that even though the room hadn't been full, they had to reserve "a certain amount of space" for members. Lounge was maybe 25-30% full when we entered.

5/19 ANC 3:00pm: I and two others (each of us with our own PP memberships) were allowed in without any issues. Lounge was about half full.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
5/18 SEA N 7:00pm: the agent paused and asked her coworker if they had taken "the sign" down. When he indicated the affirmative, she continued with scanning my card and letting me in, explaining that they sometimes restrict Priority Pass from entering when the lounge is full but that they had just taken the sign indicating such down shortly before I got there. Lounge was maybe 20% full when I entered.

5/18 ANC 11:30pm: no entry allowed for me and a guest despite many seats open in view of the check-in desk (best guess is lounge was about half full). Concierges were apologetic and suggested I try back in half an hour (after the next flight had departed). Tried again about 45 minutes later and they let us in and thanked us for being patient, explaining that even though the room hadn't been full, they had to reserve "a certain amount of space" for members. Lounge was maybe 25-30% full when we entered.

5/19 ANC 3:00pm: I and two others (each of us with our own PP memberships) were allowed in without any issues. Lounge was about half full.
Wow...this is the first report of the ANC Alaska Lounge denying entry to PP...I guess they are no longer the exception.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
05/31/17 - SEA D - Wednesday - 4:30p
Sign maybe out? Sign was out, but off to the side of the door and angled partially toward the door - but not enough to signal it wasn't out. Would have stopped and asked if I was in the way to...

SEA N - 4:35p - Sign not out, and in fact tucked unambiguously in the corner inside the lounge, its message of rejection delivered only to the wall.

UPDATE: Alas, it was short lived. When I left at 4:55p the sign had been put out. Lounge probably 50-60% full at that point - didn't notice any great influx while I was there.

Last edited by RaginPlainsman; May 31, 2017 at 5:59 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 6:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Good point....as much as I'd personally like to see AS continue being associated with PP (at least on paper), I fully expect this to end with both of them eventually going their separate ways in the not-to-distant-future.
AS has no reason to end their relationship with PP. It's good incremental revenue they can claim when the lounge isn't full.

I've been a Priority Pass holder since 2010, most of that time as a paid PP member (not a freebie/credit card "Select" member). It's been an excellent value to me to be able to access the SEA BR, although other domestic locations have been dwindling as lounges move to exclusive credit card deals. Prior to this year I have never been denied entry due to capacity issues (40-50 trips per year).

The fact that Chase is handing out PP cards like candy has effectively destroyed the value of any PP membership. Constant crowding in the BR's means access is no longer guaranteed, and when access is granted, the lounge is more likely to be stuffed to the gills.

I'm batting 1 for 4 this year on PP entry at SEA. I consider my PP now as just a "standby" entry pass to the BR. It's not guaranteed access, it's just a lottery ticket to possible entry if the time is right.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal

Crazy. ANC is the only station that does allow guesting.

I'd still send a note to alaskalistens.com so they're aware. Guess ANC needs another level for peak summer travel
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baliktad
AS has no reason to end their relationship with PP. It's good incremental revenue they can claim when the lounge isn't full.

I've been a Priority Pass holder since 2010, most of that time as a paid PP member (not a freebie/credit card "Select" member). It's been an excellent value to me to be able to access the SEA BR, although other domestic locations have been dwindling as lounges move to exclusive credit card deals. Prior to this year I have never been denied entry due to capacity issues (40-50 trips per year).

The fact that Chase is handing out PP cards like candy has effectively destroyed the value of any PP membership. Constant crowding in the BR's means access is no longer guaranteed, and when access is granted, the lounge is more likely to be stuffed to the gills.

I'm batting 1 for 4 this year on PP entry at SEA. I consider my PP now as just a "standby" entry pass to the BR. It's not guaranteed access, it's just a lottery ticket to possible entry if the time is right.
Now that ANC is jumping on board with the "no PP" game, I would have to say that PP access is actually getting worse even with the new restrictions on guests...you're probably better off winning the lottery than hoping for AL access anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.