Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS applies for Mexico City slots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:48 am

Would love to see FAT-MEX added

BTW: If you get a chance to fly Interjet do so. Best airline by far right now for coach service
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Would love to see FAT-MEX added

BTW: If you get a chance to fly Interjet do so. Best airline by far right now for coach service
agreed. I've flown with them about 3 times but always great experience
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Approved!

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Alaska Airlines awarded slots to serve Mexico City from San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego

Alaska further solidifies position as the West Coast go-to airline by adding Mexico City service from California hubs

SEATTLE, March 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Dept. of Transportation has tentatively awarded Alaska Airlines coveted slots at Mexico City's Benito Juarez International Airport from San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego with flights starting this summer. Tickets and flight schedule details will be announced at a later date, following final government approval.

"We are excited to serve Mexico City nonstop from our three largest California gateways," said John Kirby, vice president of capacity planning at Alaska Airlines. "Service to Benito Juarez International Airport enhances Alaska Airlines' expansive West Coast network and gives our valued guests access to the largest metropolitan area in the Western Hemisphere."

The year-round nonstop service will operate once daily between Mexico City and San Francisco, once daily between Mexico City and San Diego and twice daily between Mexico City and Los Angeles. The new service is the ninth destination Alaska serves to Mexico from California, including: Cancun, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Loreto, Los Cabos, Manzanillo, Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. Alaska began flying to Mexico in 1988 and today operates 96 flights a week—more than any other U.S. carrier from California. Alaska previously served Mexico City from 2005 to 2015.

The Mexico City flights will operate using fuel-efficient Boeing 737 and Embraer E175 aircraft. Onboard, guests will enjoy Alaska's award-winning service, along with features to help make the most of their flight. Alaska Beyond Entertainment offers free entertainment direct to customers' own devices. Other onboard amenities include a selection of food and beverage inspired by local chefs, custom leather seats with adjustable headrests, and power outlets throughout the cabin.

Alaska Airlines and Virgin America along with their regional partners, fly 40 million customers a year to 118 destinations with an average of 1,200 daily flights across the United States and to Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica and Cuba. With Alaska and Alaska Global Partners, customers can earn and redeem miles on flights to nearly 1,000 destinations worldwide. Learn more about Alaska's award-winning service and unmatched reliability at newsroom.alaskaair.com and blog.alaskaair.com. Alaska Airlines, Virgin America and Horizon Air are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK).

SOURCE Alaska Airlines

Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Looks like LAX-MEX will be a blood bath. Southwest is getting a slot and JetBlue also is getting 2 slots. With AS adding two flights and existing service by United, American, AeroMexico, Volaris, Interjet, that is a whole lot of capacity.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Approved!
But be careful, this is only the DOT approval, which doesn't mean the mexican government will.

As a matter of fact, Mexico only approved 2 slots for Alaska, which i think will be SFO and LAX one frequency each a day.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...ico-city-slots

Not every DOT approval will be honored by the COFECE (Mexico's anti-trust agency) due to slot constraints (and sovereignty :P )

Last edited by RamiPow; Mar 2, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by RamiPow
But be careful, this is only the DOT approval, which doesn't mean the mexican government will.

As a matter of fact, Mexico only approved 2 slots for Alaska, which i think will be SFO and LAX one frequency each a day.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...ico-city-slots

Not every DOT approval will be honored by the COFECE (Mexico's anti-trust agency) due to slot constraints.
That is not an issue as AM has a very large number of slots they are just sitting on and not using. The only thing holding things up now is that other carriers which did not get their slots approved have a chance to object. That said, nearly every carrier got exactly what they wanted so there is a very slim chance at this point that these will not be approved.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Looks like LAX-MEX will be a blood bath. Southwest is getting a slot and JetBlue also is getting 2 slots. With AS adding two flights and existing service by United, American, AeroMexico, Volaris, Interjet, that is a whole lot of capacity.
Isn't that great? I take SFO/LAX flights to Mexico twice a month and RT is ~$250... even on American/United. I can only bet for lower prices on these routes.

Maybe unsustainable for some airlines in the long run, maybe not. LA is the city with the most number of Mexicans, after Mexico City, and California alone has 15 million of them. Big big market to serve.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:28 pm

Isn't that great? I take SFO/LAX flights to Mexico twice a month and RT is ~$250... even on American/United. I can only bet for lower prices on these routes.

Maybe unsustainable for some airlines in the long run, maybe not. LA is the city with the most number of Mexicans, after Mexico City, and California alone has 15 million of them. Big big market to serve.
The flight is not all that long so the route could work with low fares filling the seats. We will see if all the carriers last or move the capacity somewhere else.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:33 pm

The flight is not all that long so the route could work with low fares filling the seats. We will see if all the carriers last or move the capacity somewhere else.
Agreed. Last month I took a RT in Volaris, non-stop, SFO - MEX - SFO for $150... and they are more profitable than Aeromexico. More domestic passengers carried, soon more international too.

A low cost model can totally work in these markets. Only time will tell.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:37 pm

That is not an issue as AM has a very large number of slots they are just sitting on and not using. The only thing holding things up now is that other carriers which did not get their slots approved have a chance to object. That said, nearly every carrier got exactly what they wanted so there is a very slim chance at this point that these will not be approved.
Right... but Aeromexico won't let go just because they are not using them. And there is no legal obligation to release more than what they have agreed upon to make the venture go through.

We will see what routes end up being opened.

btw... Volaris starts flying tomorrow to JFK... they have been announcing it for weeks now.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Look how much of that $250 is various tax/fees. The fares can't go much lower.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They can be at least $100 bucks lower. As I said on a previous post, I did a $150 RT on Volaris last month. No special promo, separate bookings.

Loving the weakened mexican peso right now.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by beckoa
Approved!
Spectacular! Looking forward to flying this route from SFO.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:40 pm

Right... but Aeromexico won't let go just because they are not using them. And there is no legal obligation to release more than what they have agreed upon to make the venture go through.
Not correct. The slots that are being released are required to be given to other carriers for DL/AM to run their joint venture. The only way they can avoid giving them up is if DL/AM decided to abandon their joint venture. Given that DL is upping their stake in AM, it would make little sense for them now to say forget it, we will run our transborder operation separately. The fact that AM is sitting on unused slots simply makes it easier for them to give up. They don't need to cut any flights--they are just making several routes more competitive by having new entrants come into those markets.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
American's $270.58 fare is actually just $69.50 each way with $131.58 in taxes and fees. Add in 750+ more seats a day to that mix and that is not a winning combination for airlines to even break even--never mind make a profit. From Mexico, it is even worse. UA is charging $41.50 each way.

Any fares on any airline in the LAX-MEX market for less that $150 RT are being given away as free tickets for all intents and purposes to try to gain market share.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Mar 2, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.