Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS applies for Mexico City slots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Awesome! Any idea how long service typically begins from these announcements? I just booked a r/t LAX>MEX on AA for April, and would've loved the EQMs at 100% instead of 25% the AA flights will give me. Oh well, I'll keep saving pesos for my next MEX trip. Glad to see AS keep expanding their routes either way!
Proposed to start 8/15/17 in the referenced document iirc.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Not sure why the second LAX flight isn't a red-eye. Much better for traveling to Mexico city for the weekend without taking days off.
For a change, it appears that AS is looking at the business market to/from MEX, of which there is a fair amount.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Interesting to see AS revisiting MEX, and on so many fronts.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Not sure why the second LAX flight isn't a red-eye. Much better for traveling to Mexico city for the weekend without taking days off.
For a 1500 mile flight? Those red eyes are dreadful. It's less than SFO-ORD, which regularly turned me into a zombie.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I wonder if AM will actually survive in the long run.
Lot's of travelers probably prefer to fly a domestic airline to Mexico (and to Central, South America). On top of that, connecting in MEX is one of the most miserable experiences you can have.
Have you ever flown them? Free bag, free drinks in coach, PTVs, and they serve meals in coach.

​​​​​​Unless you have upgrade privileges or status on some US carrier, they are likely the product leader in the market for most people.

As for AS serving MEX, it's an interesting time to start this service. MEX fares have been crazy cheap lately. I would have thought opening some other markets would be a higher priority.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
For a 1500 mile flight? Those red eyes are dreadful. It's less than SFO-ORD, which regularly turned me into a zombie.
True, it can be rough. Still, my preferred routing for 2x daily W-E flights would include a morning and late afternoon or evening departure in both directions, and you can accomplish that with a red-eye.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Interesting to see AS revisiting MEX, and on so many fronts.
They are only looking at MEX since DL/AM have to give up slots to get their JV. New service to MEX without these slots are at odd times which do not work well for most carriers. This is an opportunity to get prime time slots but they are ones that DL/AM currently hold. Flights have to be schedule to meet the times that AM/DL are giving up.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Nice.

So in the little over a month since AS has owned VX, they've announced intentions for fouGates?r dots on the map out of SFO: SNA, MSP, MCO and MEX.

Not too shabby if you ask me.
Gates?

Kick AA out of T2 and consolidate there?

When is the planned move back to T1?

I don't really like the Int'l 'temporary' gates... T2 is the best SFO location (except for centurion in t3).

UA did not take kindly to competition from VX (20X flights per day to EWR, 14X flights per day to DEN to swamp VX' new service.) We'll see how they react.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by channa
MEX fares have been crazy cheap lately.
Not from what I'm seeing...need to travel there the last weekend in March and it's pretty spendy! Hoping AS gets everything requested.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I wonder if AM will actually survive in the long run.
Lot's of travelers probably prefer to fly a domestic airline to Mexico (and to Central, South America). On top of that, connecting in MEX is one of the most miserable experiences you can have.
Personally, I prefer AM over AirCanada when going to Mexico City by far. AM service in those flights is much better (not that difficult to achieve though LOL)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Gates?

Kick AA out of T2 and consolidate there?

When is the planned move back to T1?

I don't really like the Int'l 'temporary' gates... T2 is the best SFO location (except for centurion in t3).

UA did not take kindly to competition from VX (20X flights per day to EWR, 14X flights per day to DEN to swamp VX' new service.) We'll see how they react.
Eventually AS and VX will need to consolidate. Presumably at T2.

I don't see how UA is going to retaliate on SFO-MEX when it is slot-restricted. SFO-MSP is service into a DL hub; is UA going to start a shooting war with DL? I guess they COULD get into a fight over SFO-SNA... except doesn't WN fly that route as well?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 25, 2017 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Really great ^. Would love to see SAN-MEX.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:34 am

Eventually AS and VX will need to consolidate. Presumably at T2.
Is this pure speculation? Or are there some facts / statements from AS or SFO indicating this?

How much additional capacity can T2 absorb, assuming AA refuses to relocate?

I don't see how UA is going to retaliate on SFO-MEX when it is slot-restricted. SFO-MSP is service into a DL hub; is UA going to start a shooting war with DL? I guess they COULD get into a fight over SFO-SNA... except doesn't WN fly that route as well?
All good points...

We'll see how AS handles more direct head to head competition with UA @ SFO.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Is this pure speculation? Or are there some facts / statements from AS or SFO indicating this?

They will consolidate but not for years when T1 is ready to take AA.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

They're going to consolidate somewhere. Running your operation out of two separate terminals that are not connected airside for more than a few months is madness. Presumably VX hasn't max'ed out T2 since they were planning on adding more jets in 2017 pre-merger- unless you think they were going to be 100% used out of LAX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.