Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska award question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Alaska award question

Hi,

I would like to book a first class award reservation from DPS->HKG (transfer)->TPE (stopover)->SEA. How much would it cost for Cathay Pacific? I checked Alaska award chart (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx), but it didn't show Cathay for South East Asia to US, only Air France, Fiji, and Korean airline.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

I would like to book a first class award reservation from DPS->HKG (transfer)->TPE (stopover)->SEA. How much would it cost for Cathay Pacific? I checked Alaska award chart (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx), but it didn't show Cathay for South East Asia to US, only Air France, Fiji, and Korean airline.
Nice itinerary! First off, if you want to book award flights on Cathay, you'll need to do so through Alaska's Partner Award Desk. CX award space doesn't show up on the AS website.

Secondly, the itinerary you describe would involve a backtrack HKG-TPE-HKG as Cathay does not fly between TPE and North America. So far as I know, backtracks are not allowed.

So, what I see here is a one way CX award from DPS to SEA with a stopover in HKG. You'll arrange your own transport separately HKG-TPE-HKG. I'd like to think there's a discount airline serving the short distance from HKG to TPE and back that could work nicely for you.

Another option: Do an intra-Asia one way award DPS-HKG-TPE followed by a TPE-SEA award via a host of partners including CX, JL, Hainan

Finally, CX and JL don't fly into SEA, so you'll have to catch AS to SEA from the gateway arrival city.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
CX Stopovers can only be in HKG so your itinerary wont work using a single CX award.

Last I looked for revenue flight HKG-TPE-HKG is pretty cheap. I almost did a side trip on my last HKG stop.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I forgot only stopover in HK is allowed. So I will do DPS->HKG (Stopover)->LAX/SFO (transfer) ->SEA and get a separate ticket for HKG->TPE->HKG.

is it 70K Alaska miles for first class via Cathay for Southeast Asia to US? I see it is 70K from Japan to US via JAL, but Japan is in north Asia region...so wonder if it would cost more from southeast Asia?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by apple1122
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I forgot only stopover in HK is allowed. So I will do DPS->HKG (Stopover)->LAX/SFO (transfer) ->SEA and get a separate ticket for HKG->TPE->HKG.

is it 70K Alaska miles for first class via Cathay for Southeast Asia to US? I see it is 70K from Japan to US via JAL, but Japan is in north Asia region...so wonder if it would cost more from southeast Asia?

The partner award charts are negotiated separately, for instance look at Emirates, its a ton more miles than CX due to the separate agreement. Its 70K on CX F from Asia (including SE Asia, Mainland China, Japan ...), Well most of the intra-asia flights are on planes where there is no F but you pay the F price due to the legs that do have it.

JAL has different definition of Asia which includes India (DEL is their only India destination)

The disclaimer shows that Japan Airlines and Korean Air have a separate southeast Asia (Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Thailand, Philippines, and Cambodia)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Question about making date change. Once I completed the DPS->HKG segment, can I make date change on the next segment (HKG to LAX/SFO->SEA)? does Alaska charge date change fee?

Example:
3/3 DPS->HKG
5/2 HKG->LAX->SEA (am I allowed to change 5/2 departure date to other dates after 3/3?)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Once travel has commenced:

Date change yes. Itinerary change no.

As to a change fee, I don't know for sure but I believe that if you're Gold or above any change fees will be waived.

If you're looking for First Class trans-Pac on Cathay, you may have to wait until three days or less out. JL First seems to open up a little bit earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.