Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:28 am

Yup...cleared without a problem. Still find the whole thing strange but obviously it worked out.

My only guess now is that like one post above mentioned, the people without a seat assignment all got assigned within the elite/refundable section before OLCI.

Mark this as an easy upgrade route: 7/20 for the year as an MVP so far: all 7 on this flight
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Audio27
Do I need any info from the gift giver, besides the Lounge Code itself, to use the benefit? Thank you.

Dan
I recently gave a friend a lounge pass code for her to use on a trip, upon trying to access she ended up calling me to ask for my AS membership number and my last name. (it seemed to be a check to ensure it was not somehow a stolen code)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Probably a dumb question, but MVP Gold 75K requires 75K miles on Alaska or 90K on partners to re-qualify. What if fly a combo of Alaska and partners, how many miles do I need to re-qualify then?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by andreiz
Probably a dumb question, but MVP Gold 75K requires 75K miles on Alaska or 90K on partners to re-qualify. What if fly a combo of Alaska and partners, how many miles do I need to re-qualify then?
The miles you earn show up in both, the Alaska plus partner miles is the sum of both the miles you earn on AS flights plus the miles you earned when flying a partner. You can reach 75k by either flying solely on AS (75k miles) or by a combination of using both partner and AS miles (90k miles). Status is reached when either one is achieved.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
earning AS miles on JAL/AA

I was thinking of purchasing a flight on the AA website and crediting the miles to AS. The flight has an AA flight number and would be purchased on the AA site, but is operated by JAL. I can't figure out if I'll earn miles based on it being an AA flight or if it would be based on is being a JAL flight. For paid business class, I earn more miles on AA flights than JAL according to the class of service bonuses indicated on the AS website.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I was thinking of purchasing a flight on the AA website and crediting the miles to AS. The flight has an AA flight number and would be purchased on the AA site, but is operated by JAL. I can't figure out if I'll earn miles based on it being an AA flight or if it would be based on is being a JAL flight. For paid business class, I earn more miles on AA flights than JAL according to the class of service bonuses indicated on the AS website.
Technically, partner codeshares don't earn but in practice, they do as long as the operating carrier (in this case JAL) is an AS partner. It'll earn based on the operating carrier's chart. Check the JAL PNR that it's I on their end but if it is, it'll earn as JAL I. Save your boarding passes for sending in for retro credit, if needed!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Technically, partner codeshares don't earn but in practice, they do as long as the operating carrier (in this case JAL) is an AS partner. It'll earn based on the operating carrier's chart. Check the JAL PNR that it's I on their end but if it is, it'll earn as JAL I. Save your boarding passes for sending in for retro credit, if needed!
That makes sense, thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
AA basic economy does not earn miles (in 2017?)

books into B class, so I guess not according to the alaska chart but I thought I saw a notice that said basic economy fare still earn mileage. Only on AA ..?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
AA basic economy does not earn miles (in 2017?)

books into B class, so I guess not according to the alaska chart but I thought I saw a notice that said basic economy fare still earn mileage. Only on AA ..?
No earning on AS w/ AA B fares. Just like when AA introduced Q fares, they did not earn until agreement was updated. On the opposite side when AS introduced R fare bucket in 2014, AA did not accept it until 8/1/16. Now with the partnership diminishing I assume it wont change anytime soon, its not even listed on the new chart eff 1/1/18.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I don’t think there’s any “if” about it; save boarding passes because you will be asking for retro credit. I’ve never had a codeshare flight credit automatically (which is correct, since there’s no credit according to the rules, as you say), but I’ve also never had AS deny retro credit as long as both the marketing and operating carriers are partners.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:03 pm

AS status match time?

Hi all. I have a flight on Oct 10 and want to credit to AS. I am now AA EXP and only qualified for Plat next year. I want to match to AS MVP75K is that possible? Or will they only match my plat for next year? If I request now, how long does it usually take to match me into the status?(status matcher varies wildly from 4 to 20 days) If it is shorter than 7 days then I will get matched before Oct.1 and that will be a huge loss, so can I request a date for it to start, ie Oct 1?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by beyounged
I am now AA EXP and only qualified for Plat next year. I want to match to AS MVP75K is that possible?
They should match to MVP Gold 75K, based on the AA EXP status, as long as you complete the required information for the status match.

Originally Posted by beyounged
If it is shorter than 7 days then I will get matched before Oct.1 and that will be a huge loss, so can I request a date for it to start, ie Oct 1?
A similar question was asked on the status match thread HERE. I don't think anyone knows the answer. You might reply to the poster in that thread and see what he ultimately did. His flight was on October 2.

I'd also read the Wiki associated with that thread which may answer some questions.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
AS celebrates 10 years in the islands, interesting that they have the most daily flights at 26 now via Hawaii:

Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
hey folks,
sorry to ask this question but it's buried somewhere and I can't find it.
haven't had an AS flight for awhile and forgot:

Is the boarding scheme for 737's Economy still:
1. Rows 20-33
2. Rows 6-19 (all other rows welcome to board)

So the cut off is row 20?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've searched here and on the AS website, with no success. Can somebody direct me to the official EQM earning chart? I cannot find it anywhere and it's not attached as a link in any of the WIKI. I can do the math once I get the rules. Trying to make sure I cover the last of the 5.5K miles needed for 75K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.