Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I believe last year LATAM Colombia did not earn Alaska miles due to being outside of the flight range. I don't know if I got lucky, or Alaska fixed their program to allow these

but I just booked LA (Colombia) flight 4042 and 4045 and see that Alaska now earns credit for LA flights 4000-4943! What a welcome development
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bderemer
When I search for some of the same flights I find in the forum that are posted between $100-$200, it ends up being between $1,000-$2,000. Is there a special program people use to do double trips across the continent for such low amounts.
Fares like that are extremely rare and do not last long. For example the one you found has been gone for several months. Most are found just by luck.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 9, 2017 at 10:33 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
As for redemptions, Ravn Connect flights have not been allowed for a couple years now. Speculation when first discontinued (unannounced) was too many fatal crashes in a short period of time. No options to the most rural towns in AK. I miss the Cessna rides. The other exclusions are between Anchorage and Barrow, Bethel, Fairbanks or Prudhoe Bay, or between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay.

There is no way to convert miles from AS to 7H's program
Thanks! Are there any non-flying (non-buying) means of acquiring 7H miles?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Thanks! Are there any non-flying (non-buying) means of acquiring 7H miles?
Fly or the outrageous cost of $100.00 for every 5 points which is more expensive than just paying cash for the flight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Sorry but no. Only MVPG and 75K passengers.
Exceptions have been made though if you ask nicely
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Complimentary upgrade request on Horizon E75

I thought a thread discussing this existed, but I couldn't find it. I'm flying on a Horizon E75 with a First class cabin, but I cannot request a complimentary upgrade on the website because it says "Aircraft does not have a First Class cabin". Is there a workaround? Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:14 pm

As MVP-Gold, can I same-day-change from a alaska flight to a virgin flight (LAX-Seattle)? This would be for a flight in September, the virgin flight with ideal time is pricing out to be much higher so I'm thinking of booking the Alaska flight right after it and then trying to catch the earlier Virgin flight?

If not possible right now, have they given any indications that this might be supported come September?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nomii
As MVP-Gold, can I same-day-change from a alaska flight to a virgin flight (LAX-Seattle)? This would be for a flight in September, the virgin flight with ideal time is pricing out to be much higher so I'm thinking of booking the Alaska flight right after it and then trying to catch the earlier Virgin flight?

If not possible right now, have they given any indications that this might be supported come September?
I'm guessing this will be possible once AS and VX are under a single management system (SABRE) for its flights.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I thought a thread discussing this existed, but I couldn't find it. I'm flying on a Horizon E75 with a First class cabin, but I cannot request a complimentary upgrade on the website because it says "Aircraft does not have a First Class cabin". Is there a workaround? Thanks!
This was part of the issue:

Horizon/QX E175 flights not reflecting U online?

What route/date?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomii

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm guessing this will be possible once AS and VX are under a single management system (SABRE) for its flights.
What beckoa said. So sometime in 2019 (maybe earlier if we are lucky)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:16 am

Credit Card Question

I am thinking of jumping over to AS and getting the CC would be a great start to bump up miles in my account. My question : Is the current 30K bonus the normal or are there better deals to wait for?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
this was part of the issue:

Horizon/QX E175 flights not reflecting U online?

what route/date?
mci-sfo 2793 9-19.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I am thinking of jumping over to AS and getting the CC would be a great start to bump up miles in my account. My question : Is the current 30K bonus the normal or are there better deals to wait for?
The only thing I have seen better than 30K is sometimes they offer a 1000 mile bonus if you get a paper application from a FA with their info on it as a referral. So 31K is about the best I have seen.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Baze
The only thing I have seen better than 30K is sometimes they offer a 1000 mile bonus if you get a paper application from a FA with their info on it as a referral. So 31K is about the best I have seen.
And if you apply during the checkout of a booking (can be a dummy, no need to complete/pay for the booking) or use the direct link in the Alaska credit card thread, you should be offered a $100 statement credit which either makes your first year at a net +$25 to you or is worth roughly 5000 miles at a 2cpm valuation.

you might ping Missy in the Ask Missy thread (just put a pointer there to your original post). There was some weirdness originally because Horizon was previously coach only.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:21 pm

mci-sfo 2793 9-19.
From ExpertFlyer:

Code:
AS (**) 2783	 MCI 2:42p → SFO 4:54p
F7 D7 P7 U7 A1 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K7 G7 T7 R7 N7 W6 E0
The space is there.

F seatmap is empty.

I'd call AS, or send Missydarlin a PM. As this is some strange behavior.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.