Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I have a few gift certificates, any downside to depositing them into the wallet on the website?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mhdena
I have a few gift certificates, any downside to depositing them into the wallet on the website?
benefits - you can easily combine the $$ into paying for one larger purchase and you don't have to keep track of the codes and expiration dates

drawbacks - they become essentially non-transferable, meaning you must be logged into your account to use them though you can still make bookings for others with them
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MP 1K, Marriott Platinum
Folks, posted the below question in the Missy thread and got a Missy answer..can anyone help a newbie get around this?

I'm new to Alaska and just matched status to MVP75K. Can someone please help me understand how many redeemable miles i would earn for the below trip if credited to AS:

EWR-LHR-EWR on BA metal, ticket bought via AAVacations. AA flight numbers operated by BA.
Actual flight miles - 6930 round trip
Booking class - I
BA Flight numbers - BA0184 & BA0189

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by karannarang
Folks, posted the below question in the Missy thread and got a Missy answer..can anyone help a newbie get around this?

I'm new to Alaska and just matched status to MVP75K. Can someone please help me understand how many redeemable miles i would earn for the below trip if credited to AS:

EWR-LHR-EWR on BA metal, ticket bought via AAVacations. AA flight numbers operated by BA.
Actual flight miles - 6930 round trip
Booking class - I
BA Flight numbers - BA0184 & BA0189

Thanks in advance.
In theory and usually in practice.

Base miles (also counts as EQM) - 6,930
Class of service bonus (also counts as EQM) - 3,465
Additional RDM bonus - 6,930
75K RDM bonus - 8,663

EQM = 10,395
RDM = 25,998
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
On the same day round trip ticket, do I need to complete my first leg to be able to check in for the return flight?

Last edited by jediwho; Jan 6, 2017 at 3:05 am
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP100K, Hyatt Globalist, HiltonHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
In theory and usually in practice.

Base miles (also counts as EQM) - 6,930
Class of service bonus (also counts as EQM) - 3,465
Additional RDM bonus - 6,930
75K RDM bonus - 8,663

EQM = 10,395
RDM = 25,998

So just to verify - the Additional Bonus Alaska rolled out does not count for EQM, correct?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jediwho
On the same day round trip ticket, do I need to complete my first leg to be able to check in for the return flight?
If you use the full website it asks for departure city and as long as nothing has changed, it should allow you to check in for the return.

Originally Posted by konradh
So just to verify - the Additional Bonus Alaska rolled out does not count for EQM, correct?
Correct. Its an RDM only bonus.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Doing a mileage run today (starting early for the year) from LAX-SEA-YKM and back. I don't have much time between SEA-YKM layover (35 minutes) and my LAX-SEA is delayed by 32 minutes already, which means most likely I am going to miss my YKM flight and back. Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jediwho
Doing a mileage run today (starting early for the year) from LAX-SEA-YKM and back. I don't have much time between SEA-YKM layover (35 minutes) and my LAX-SEA is delayed by 32 minutes already, which means most likely I am going to miss my YKM flight and back. Any thoughts, suggestions?
two options that i see:

1) Call AS and declare a trip in vain. You will get a refund (and it should be to your original form of payment, not a "wallet" credit). You could also ask for the miles via ORC instead of the refund, but they might be more inclined to give a refund with a trip in vain declaration.

2) Fly to SEA and deal with it there. In all likelihood you can just get on your return back to LAX and request the ORC for the whole trip.

If it were me I would call them and see if they'll give you trip in vain, but i'm a pretty pathetic mileage runner.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jinglish
American is the only Alaska partner (aside from Delta, and that's ending soon) to give AS elites perks; as an MVP Gold, you'll get free Main Cabin Extra seating at booking, along with priority check-in/boarding and free checked bags (which you'd have on an international itinerary anyway). It looks like your DL status would at least get you preferred seats and priority boarding on AF if you end up taking them, though.
AA isn't the only partner offering benefits. HU, FI, and BA offer MVPG lounge access. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by sturges
AA isn't the only partner offering benefits. HU, FI, and BA offer MVPG lounge access. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
Available to MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members, when traveling between London and Seattle

Access to the Terminal 5 Galleries Lounge at London-Heathrow (LHR) airport

... That's a very narrowly defined partner benefit :P
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Specifically I think the original question was for preferred seating, which we only get on AA and DL.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Is anyone else having issues with flight searches on the AS site today? I've had problems two different laptops so far, ranging from the date dropdowns not working to award space not showing while during a multi-city search (but working fine while searching for one-way awards).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
Is anyone else having issues with flight searches on the AS site today? I've had problems two different laptops so far, ranging from the date dropdowns not working to award space not showing while during a multi-city search (but working fine while searching for one-way awards).
Did 2 successful multi city search no problem.

Sample:

BOS-PDX 7/12/17
PDX-ANC 9/19/17

BOS-NRT 7/12/17
NRT-CGK 9/19/17
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
On December 15, I had a two segment AA flight (booked in F). Somehow, my AS # dropped out of the itinerary.

I waited the two weeks required and then on December 29 used the online tool to claim the missing mileage credit.

Now my account has flights in it. The correct number of miles are shown in the "Miles" but the status says "Partner Pending."

How long should I expect to wait before the flights actually credit and when should I start emailing AS support if they don't?
Kind of surprised that I seemed to have stumped the band here

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.