Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Good morning,

Last week I flew YYC-MSP-BOS on DL. I booked a first class fare on delta.com, which showed as "First Class (P)" on my receipt. Flight was originally booked YYC-SEA-BOS, however I did a same-day confirmed change to the routing via MSP; that receipt showed "First Class (F)".

Miles posted to my account at 75% of the full earning rate, and no class of service bonus. I'm guessing that there was an underlying Delta fare basis in the H/Q/K category that Delta reported to Alaska... but is this correct? I was expecting 200% miles for these flights... and thus credited them to AS. If you book in First, you can still get economy miles?

This wasn't a post-purchase upgrade, but rather a purchased first class fare, albeit nonrefundable.

Thanks.
I fly a lot of DL GAP fares and have never seen this behavior even after doing SDC. I would contact AS with your original receipt.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:58 am

Hi. Never used the AS site. I'm interested in NRT-XIY on HU and I understand that HU can be booked with AS miles. When I try to book this flight on AS I get the following message:

We could not fulfill your request. This could be due to one or more of the following reasons:
- There are flights, but all award space is taken.
- There are no flights for the city pair entered.
- There are no flights operating on the specific day of the week entered.
- The routing requested may not be allowed.

Is it possible to book this particular route using miles? Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I believe you can only book within china or china to/from north america with HU.

You should be able to book the route with JAL if they operate it.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:09 pm

Thanks. From what I can tell HU is the only airline to fly that route non-stop. This would be a 1-way flight and I thought I could only book RT JAL awards.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
This would be a 1-way flight and I thought I could only book RT JAL awards.
JAL one-ways are allowed. The only airlines which are round-trip only award pricing are Delta (for another few months) and Korean Air, and even there you can book a one-way as long as you're willing to pay the RT mileage cost.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold, AS, KE, WN, UA
Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I took an AS flight on 12/30. With the miles for this flight, which posted yesterday 1/3, I should make MVP (first time elite on any airline!). I don't see this status on alaskaair.com or in the app, though. Does anyone know when I can expect to see my new status, or if I'm somehow not eligible since the miles posted after the new year? TIA
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Hi. Never used the AS site. I'm interested in NRT-XIY on HU and I understand that HU can be booked with AS miles. When I try to book this flight on AS I get the following message:

We could not fulfill your request. This could be due to one or more of the following reasons:
- There are flights, but all award space is taken.
- There are no flights for the city pair entered.
- There are no flights operating on the specific day of the week entered.
- The routing requested may not be allowed.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I believe you can only book within china or china to/from north america with HU.

You should be able to book the route with JAL if they operate it.
Thanks. From what I can tell HU is the only airline to fly that route non-stop. This would be a 1-way flight and I thought I could only book RT JAL awards.
Looking at the JAL route map, Xi'an involves China Eastern codeshare so no JL metal meaning no award using AS miles.

HU only lists china under Asia to Asia.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ahjota

I took an AS flight on 12/30. With the miles for this flight, which posted yesterday 1/3, I should make MVP (first time elite on any airline!). I don't see this status on alaskaair.com or in the app, though. Does anyone know when I can expect to see my new status, or if I'm somehow not eligible since the miles posted after the new year? TIA
Give it a little more time to credit (or make sure you have you boarding pass saved if it doesn't show up in a couple of weeks). It WILL credit for the date of your flight.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by CDKing
If the screenshot doesn't show the dates, its not going to help because it has to be exact same itinerary, flight number, cabin (First Class/Main Cabin), booking/fare class, date of travel, and number of travelers. It seems really odd to me that it would be that much of a fare difference if it meets this criteria.
It worked! I am getting a refund for the price difference, ( 1-2 statements) seems a bit long.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:46 pm

New to Alaska as I've come as part of the Virgin acquisition. I may fly to Europe in the near future, and I'm trying to figure out what's the best approach to get preferred seating. I am MVP Gold (and also silver on delta sky miles, which probably won't serve me as well), and Air France seems like a viable option. How do I book on Air France and have them honor my newfound Alaska status? I've flown internationally before, but never had the situation where I credited a different airline with the miles. Thanks for any guidance
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jakers3200
New to Alaska as I've come as part of the Virgin acquisition. I may fly to Europe in the near future, and I'm trying to figure out what's the best approach to get preferred seating. I am MVP Gold (and also silver on delta sky miles, which probably won't serve me as well), and Air France seems like a viable option. How do I book on Air France and have them honor my newfound Alaska status? I've flown internationally before, but never had the situation where I credited a different airline with the miles. Thanks for any guidance
American is the only Alaska partner (aside from Delta, and that's ending soon) to give AS elites perks; as an MVP Gold, you'll get free Main Cabin Extra seating at booking, along with priority check-in/boarding and free checked bags (which you'd have on an international itinerary anyway). It looks like your DL status would at least get you preferred seats and priority boarding on AF if you end up taking them, though.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahjota
Welcome to FT & congrats on coming out of the shadows
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by duranza
It worked! I am getting a refund for the price difference, ( 1-2 statements) seems a bit long.
good to know. A low fare on another site guarantee that worked !!!! Its just the standard spiel because they don't know where you are in your statement period and how fast the card company processes the refund. Especially now a days where you can access your bank account online to check It will probably be a week or so.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: IHG Gold, AS, KE, WN, UA
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jinglish
Give it a little more time to credit (or make sure you have you boarding pass saved if it doesn't show up in a couple of weeks). It WILL credit for the date of your flight.
Thanks. Miles AND the status updated today, actually. Now an MVP.

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Welcome to FT & congrats on coming out of the shadows
Thank you very much! I've gotten a wealth of info about AS from this site. Appreciate it all.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the advice! Will examine my options booking with Delta or Alaska FF. Will need to pick one for the year, as no way I'm qualifying on two this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.