Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Has anyone had an MVPG+ non-instant companion upgrade, for an additional non-status person booked on the same reservation, for travel in the past month or two, go through without some form of manual intervention?

Last edited by Kufat; Jan 20, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kufat
Has anyone had an MVP non-instant companion upgrade, for an additional non-status person booked on the same reservation, for travel in the past month or two, go through without some form of manual intervention?
If you mean a companion travelling with an MVP, then no, they are not entitled to a complimentary upgrade. Only companions travelling with a Gold or 75K get complimentary upgrades when on the same PNR.

If you meant to say MVPG, then yes. Mr. Fink (no status) and I (MVPG) were both upgraded on a companion fare booking in late November at about T-50. I had booked a K fare in June but U never opened up, even at my window, despite 8 available seats in F. It obviously opened up at T-50ish and the upgrade went through with no intervention.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

Couldn't find the answer to this in the FAQ thread so I'll ask here:

What is the boarding sequence for AS? Also, when does a diamond medallion with Delta board on AS?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
If you mean a companion travelling with an MVP, then no, they are not entitled to a complimentary upgrade.
Fixed. MVPG+.

If you meant to say MVPG, then yes. Mr. Fink (no status) and I (MVPG) were both upgraded on a companion fare booking in late November at about T-50. I had booked a K fare in June but U never opened up, even at my window, despite 8 available seats in F. It obviously opened up at T-50ish and the upgrade went through with no intervention.
Thanks! I've had issues every time I've flown with a companion since making MVPG, so I was curious.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by wildcard442
Couldn't find the answer to this in the FAQ thread so I'll ask here:

What is the boarding sequence for AS? Also, when does a diamond medallion with Delta board on AS?
IIRC usually in a big group aka a CF with they call AS MVPG, DL (all but silver), AA(all but gold), VX (?).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:18 pm

I've never heard them separate Delta elites by level like they do with AA, but there isn't a lot of consistency with the boarding procedure.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kufat
I've never heard them separate Delta elites by level like they do with AA, but there isn't a lot of consistency with the boarding procedure.
Usually its just first and a free for all
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm more familiar with award tickets on United where it's not unusual a week or two before for 25K seats to open up 12.5K availability. Does the same thing happen with AS? Does the amount of miles needed for a specific flight ever go down?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm more familiar with award tickets on United where it's not unusual a week or two before for 25K seats to open up 12.5K availability. Does the same thing happen with AS? Does the amount of miles needed for a specific flight ever go down?
Sometimes yes, in my case they either stay the same or go up unless a partner ends up having space. Then again i book transcon and AS metal is rarely under 20K
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I wasn't sure where to post this question but figured here would be a good start.

Back in December I status matched from American Executive Platinum to Alaska MVP Gold 75K. I didn't realize at the time that my Virgin America Gold status would be extended another year and thus why I did the status match. I already had a Mileage Plan account and that is the one I have the status match on. Today in the mail I get a welcome packet, not for the account that I status matched, but a new one they created for me due to my Virgin America Elevate account. They sent a MVP Gold card in the packet as well as the offer to collect 10,000 miles. So my question is do I just leave this as is or contact Alaska and tell them that I already have an account with MVP Gold 75K status? I didn't get anything in the mail yet for the status match yet. I don't want any issues to arise with having two seperate accounts under the same name. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by CDKing
Sometimes yes, in my case they either stay the same or go up unless a partner ends up having space. Then again i book transcon and AS metal is rarely under 20K
Thanks. The flights I am looking at are all AS metal

Different question; received this due to a flight cancellation 6 days ago:

Let us make it up to you.

Dear cblaisd,

We’re very sorry for your experience today and we regret the inconvenience it caused. Will be emailing you a $100 discount off of future Alaska Airlines travel in the next few days.

If you're receiving this email, we have everything we need to send you your discount.

As always, thank you for flying with us. We hope you’ll give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on another flight.

Jeff Butler – VP Airport Operations and Customer Service
Alaska Airlines
How long should the actual discount code email take? Six days seems a long time.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Finkface
Yes, if you are the original owner of the GGU. It's not a backdoor option - it is right on their website. Just email or call Customer Care and they will do it for you. I did this just last week and the GGU was back in my account before I hung up the phone.

From the AS website:
If a flight upgraded with a guest upgrade is changed or canceled, the upgrade is forfeited. A replacement guest upgrade code can be requested through customer care only by the MVP® Gold to whom it was originally issued.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx
This is what you get when you cancel a reservation with a GGU on it:

Confirm and continue
By continuing with this cancellation, I am forfeiting the MVP® Gold guest upgrade I used for this reservation and will not be able to use it toward future travel.
* I agree to forfeit my MVP® Gold guest upgrade.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I had to cancel one of my legs in a journey because the incoming flight was delayed.....so for LAX-SEA-PDX-SEA-LAX, I had to cancel the SEA-PDX-SEA because my PDX to SEA flight was delayed and because of which I could have missed SEA-LAX flight. The CSR at SEA told me I will get a credit for the canceled leg and should post in my wallet automatically. Any idea how long it takes for the credit to post?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
This is what you get when you cancel a reservation with a GGU on it:

Confirm and continue
By continuing with this cancellation, I am forfeiting the MVP® Gold guest upgrade I used for this reservation and will not be able to use it toward future travel.
* I agree to forfeit my MVP® Gold guest upgrade.
Technically that is true, you are forfeiting that particular GGU. But a MVPG or MVPG75K can just call up and get it replaced with a new one, which I think I read gets a new expiration date.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Doors 18 or 20.
This is the area car services or cabs drop passengers. Through doors and to the left. It will be on left side along the windows.
AS has been moving the F and Elite check in area this past year. But, still on driveway side of terminal. Opposite main baggage check "zoo".
Actually (checked after two flights this week), it's Door 27.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.