Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by JeffP
I have booked my first paid Alaska Airlines flight. The fares dropped a couple of times and I now have 8 Credit Certificates worth almost $350 total. I spent some time looking and couldn't find a clear answer to my question. If I am booking tickets for 2 of us that cost $250 each ($500 total), should I add all of the Credit Certificates to My Wallet and will the entire amount be available to use against the two tickets on the same reservation? or should I book the tickets separately and add 4 credits to each reservation? Thanks for any feedback that you can provide!
We had to cancel 3 trips last year because of my cancer diagnosis. AS put funds in My Wallet. When we Were able to book travel again, total amount was available for use. The total In Wallet was much higher than the fare. I wanted to use CC with travel protection for a portion of fare. AS MvP reservations was able(with supervisor) to separate each credit for use for each trip and I used CC for small amount due on each. FWIW
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pcoll
Doors 18 or 20.
Thank you! With a spouse with some movement/pain issues, having Mr. Uber drop us as near as possible is good.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pcoll
I have been dealing with this also. AK hope you are doing well. I find "chemo brain" hits me more in the evenings. I have to check and recheck our AS reservations this year. ( also because of the PC messing with seat assignments).
(Still waiting to get my hair back )
I share your misery, my online cyber-friend. I need to make far more written reminders, memory jogs and lists than ever in the past. Everything has to be checked and rechecked. I've think I've even caught myself making lists of my lists (only a slight exaggeration) ...

Getting my hair back would be nice, but I'd be willing to forgoe that bit of feminine vanity if I could get back some energy and stamina. Sigh.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:47 pm

I have a saver F award OAK - PDX stopover - EWR. I'm going to change the OAK-PDX leg. There is no F, so what award level flights can I switch to? 5k I assume, but 10 or 12.5? 20?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: N/A
Has anyone received the following error after the first successful transfer from Virgin to AS?

Your account has been disabled. Please contact Customer Care for assistance.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:56 am

does Alaska Air have an award rule (like AA) that requires all travel to be completed within 365 days of original ticketing date?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: air canada SE100k, Alaska MVP 75
Lounge access

I am wondering if I can use my MVP75 lounge access codes if I am flying on Delta.
Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I am flying SFO-LHR in economy and with BA global triple avios promo, I should receive about 15K avios.
As Alaska MVP gold, if I credit the miles to alaska, I should receive 5K + 5K MVP gold bonus.

What is worth more? 15K avios or 10K alaska miles?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Does anyone know of any case where anyone was able to get a GGU back from cancelling or changing a flight?

I know the warnings about that are pretty explicit so I don't have any expectations but just want to know if there is a backdoor option...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Does anyone know of any case where anyone was able to get a GGU back from cancelling or changing a flight?

I know the warnings about that are pretty explicit so I don't have any expectations but just want to know if there is a backdoor option...
Yes, if you are the original owner of the GGU. It's not a backdoor option - it is right on their website. Just email or call Customer Care and they will do it for you. I did this just last week and the GGU was back in my account before I hung up the phone.

From the AS website:
If a flight upgraded with a guest upgrade is changed or canceled, the upgrade is forfeited. A replacement guest upgrade code can be requested through customer care only by the MVP® Gold to whom it was originally issued.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Finkface
Yes, if you are the original owner of the GGU. It's not a backdoor option - it is right on their website. Just email or call Customer Care and they will do it for you. I did this just last week and the GGU was back in my account before I hung up the phone.
Thanks! Glad I asked! The warning pop-up when you try to cancel the flight doesn't give the second sentence about getting it back!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I have a saver F award OAK - PDX stopover - EWR. I'm going to change the OAK-PDX leg. There is no F, so what award level flights can I switch to? 5k I assume, but 10 or 12.5? 20?
W space (12.5K) is necessary on an F award to sit in Y. I believe if 5K is available, 12.5K would be available as well. If 20K is the lowest no dice.

Originally Posted by Colin
does Alaska Air have an award rule (like AA) that requires all travel to be completed within 365 days of original ticketing date?
No, way better, 365 days from date of departure.

Originally Posted by swmb31
I am wondering if I can use my MVP75 lounge access codes if I am flying on Delta.
Thanks.
As long as its an "Alaska Lounge" location, DL lounges are excluded.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
W space (12.5K) is necessary on an F award to sit in Y. I believe if 5K is available, 12.5K would be available as well. If 20K is the lowest no dice.
Thanks. Is there any way to see the fare class with award bookings? I just see Main. I guess I can just try when there's an expensive 12.5k flight I want and see if it lets me book it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by swmb31
Thanks.
If it is just one of those day passes/codes, absolutely. I have never even been asked for a boarding pass when using one of these.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Thanks. Is there any way to see the fare class with award bookings? I just see Main. I guess I can just try when there's an expensive 12.5k flight I want and see if it lets me book it.
As of now they want 35,000 miles to switch to the PM flight I want. Soooo I'll just sit tight and watch it for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.