Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
9/7 AS457 LAX-SEA, 605p
  • water bottles at seats
  • FA described the meal and took drink orders early on -- may have even been during taxi out
  • "hot" towel service
  • small package of Biscoff cookies with drinks
  • ancho chile braised beef with a corn & black bean salsa and flour tortillas, along with a side salad; I don't normally eat beef, so not too pleased with this option (I think DL caters two entree choices ... just sayin' )
Attached Images  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Date of Flight: 9/2/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS #84 ANC-SEA
Time of Departure: 8:00 AM
Length of flight: ~ 3 hours
Class of service: First
Meal served: Breakfast

Pre-Departure Beverage service: Nothing initially, as the catering was being done as we boarded. Before takeoff water bottles were distributed.

Meal Description: The options were a cold breakfast of Greek yogurt with granola and milk, or a hot breakfast of asparagus quiche.

Each tray also had the usual AS fruit plate. Today’s contained hard - but fairly sweet - honeydew melon slices, some so-so blueberries, seedless red grapes, and a couple of apple slices.

The individual quiche had ample asparagus along with diced, sauted onion, and was topped with a very generous handful of chopped bacon. Quite tasty!

But the sides on the plate were ... just plain weird.

First there was a scoop of cold, mayonnaise-based potato salad with dill. Potato salad for breakfast? That type of cold dish would be far more fitting as an accompaniment to a lunch sandwich. But even more strange was a small heap of salad greens – plain and undressed – piled beside the breakfast quiche. Yes, I know that salad is often seen with breakfast when traveling overseas, but even then it isn't just a pile of undressed lawn clippings.

Were the sides a catering error or creative fail on the part of F&B? I’d give the odds as fifty fifty ...
Attached Images  
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
What an odd breakfast....the quiche looks tasty, but yeah, potato salad and lettuce for breakfast? And what's the deal with no breakfast breads on mid-con breakfasts? A year or two ago they "upgraded" the shorter haul breakfasts by including a hot entree, fruit plate, and pastry of some kind and then somewhere along the line the pastry got cut. I'd gladly swap out that potato salad for a blueberry muffin or danish.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
What an odd breakfast....the quiche looks tasty, but yeah, potato salad and lettuce for breakfast? And what's the deal with no breakfast breads on mid-con breakfasts? A year or two ago they "upgraded" the shorter haul breakfasts by including a hot entree, fruit plate, and pastry of some kind and then somewhere along the line the pastry got cut. I'd gladly swap out that potato salad for a blueberry muffin or danish.
I hope all of you communicate your displeasure with the meals to AS on their website.. It does no good to complain about it here if you don't complain directly to them. Be very specific when you complain to them. You will, right?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It was disgusting. Had it last Saturday SFO-MEX. Hardly first class, hardly competitive, highly indigestible. I never thought I would say this but UA does a FAR better job on this route. En serios, the only thing AS has going for it on this particular route is the departure times.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I hope all of you communicate your displeasure with the meals to AS on their website.. It does no good to complain about it here if you don't complain directly to them. Be very specific when you complain to them. You will, right?
I've written in at least 50 times about the food in F. In all but one case did I receive a personalized response, with many emails/letters not getting any response. I don't think it's a high priority for AS. The Y food can be decent and I'm a fan of the PC snack box now that the cranberries are gone.

Honestly, the catering sucks on most any domestic F service on any airline. AA does a good job with their oatmeal. That's about the only thing I consistently eat on a plane. EK or Cathay in F is a different story, but generally speaking, airplane food is lost on me.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
9/9/17 AS730 ANC-SEA quiche

I thought it was tasty and an interesting diversion from the regular breakfast foods

I found the apple quite tasty.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I haven't posted here for awhile, much less anywhere else of late. Here is the first of a couple of meal reports:

Date of Flight: September 6, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 82 ANC-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:55pm
Length of flight: 3:20
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water waiting at the seat
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: Mushroom Ravioli
Additional Comments: Pretty standard offering for this 3 hour sector. I still find it odd that Alaska serves its dinner hour cocktails with cookies rather than mixed nuts - especially on a 3+ hour flight. Our flight attendant seemed duly embarrassed with the offering.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
More on the breakfast quiche with the luncheon accompaniments...

Date of Flight: September 7, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 652 PDX-DFW
Time of Departure: 8:35am
Length of flight: 3:20
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: Asparagus Quiche
Comments: First and foremost, what I and seatmate found odd was that there were no other choices offered on this 3+ hour assumed midcon flight. It was quiche or nothing. No granola. When seatmate queried the FA about it, he just shrugged and said that's all that was loaded. As to the quiche, I thought it was pretty good. Whoever a few post back found it disgusting - just curious - why? Undercooked? Cold? Bad taste? I've eaten a lot of quiche (Yes, real men DO eat quiche) and I thought it tasted great. As for the potato salad, as breakfast accompaniments go it was different to be sure but I didn't mind the flavor combination. The handful of greens on the side of the plate I viewed more as garnish and so ignored them.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the evening version of the quiche...

Date of Flight: July 25, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 68? ANC-JNU
Time of Departure: 7:00pm
Length of flight: 1:20
Meal served: Snack
Meal Description: Ham & Cheese Quiche
Additional Comments: Pretty nice for such a short "snack" flight. You'll note the substantial pile of greens accompanied by salad dressing. I would've appreciated some potato salad as well but then... it was only a 1 hr 20 min flight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 9, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Additional Comments: Pretty nice for such a short "snack" flight. You'll note the substantial pile of greens accompanied by salad dressing. I would've appreciated some potato salad as well but then... it was only a 1 hr 20 min flight.

Had the same a couple of weeks ago on evening JNU-ANC - the quiche was actually really tasty...no potato salad but that would have been too heavy for my tastes..the greens and dressing were standard but fine. Wouldn't mind the same meal again.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP
9/9/17 Horizon 2828 BUR-SJC
Same as my flight on this route last week; FA offered PDB of coffee or OJ. Full beverage service in F once in the air served in ceramic or glassware, along with chocolate chip scone. Senior Horizon FA working up front was very good; name tag indicated she is an "inflight trainer" so I'm assuming the PDB is part of their standard service offering on Horizon. Water bottles were at the seat when we boarded. In coach, they offered full beverage service.

9/10/17 SJC-BUR Skywest 3367
Water bottles at seat upon boarding, no offer of PDB. F/A took drink orders on the ground. Unlike on Horizon, drinks were served in plastic cups. Snack basket passed around. In coach, announcement made for Water or OJ only from drink cart.

Very notable when you fly Horizon one day and Skywest the next that Skywest has the huge closet up front where Horizon has this space utilized as part of the galley.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:01 pm

The food doesnt look very appetizing...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

1h20m and full meal service?

I can't think of any legacy that does that. Amazing job Alaska. ^
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;28797366]I haven't posted here for awhile, much less anywhere else of late. Here is the first of a couple of meal reports:

What a disgusting thing to put on a plate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.