Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster

But then how to explain all of the empty calories in the free booze? Get them all liquored up so they don't notice how tiny the new snack boxes are? Hmm.
Always forget that booze has calories in it, lol
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
1/14/17
AS 737 FLL-SEA
PDB: Water
Meal Choice Denver Omelet w/ hash browns or Beecher's Quiche w/ Asparagus

Additional comments

Hot towel Service provided before meal.

Each FC passenger offered a Stroopwafel.

FA gave my Bloody Mary on request and brought (unrequested) 2 additional bottles of Vodka & an extra glass of mixer for self service top offs.

The Entrée was proceeded by the fruit plate. The fruit plate was arranged and set up with Watermelon, Oranges, Pineapple, Strawberries and a Blackberry. Also had a Warm Cinnamon Roll with Glaze on the Side.

The Omelet and Hash browns were pretty good.

Later on during the flight Warm nuts were distributed.

The snack basket came out after that.

* Side note The captain's PA announcements were loud and clear. Great Flight
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by acarney
Always forget that booze has calories in it, lol
Not according to FT rules....we all know any alcohol consumed in flight contains zero calories ( due to altitude and diminished oxygen levels ) right??
That' s what I'm going with this year. ^
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Forgive me - I should have clarified. LAX-SEA is - by west coast standards only - a glamour route (as opposed to SNA-PDX or BUR-SEA).

In terms of catering, it doesn't compare to transcons or midcons.
Ah, then it stands to reason that Ontario-Seattle is decidedly lacking in glamour.

And as we just might be on an AS 739 in F heading north from ONT to SEA in April, I'm wondering what to expect with regard to the lunch service.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
1/14/17
AS 737 FLL-SEA
PDB: Water
Meal Choice Denver Omelet w/ hash browns or Beecher's Quiche w/ Asparagus

Additional comments

Each FC passenger offered a Stroopwafel.
Did AS 7 JFK-SEA Sunday morning and got the same meal choice -- I <3 <3 <3 hash browns (even though they can never be as good on the plane as on the ground)

But omg you guys get a Stroopwafel!?!?!?! All we got were biscoffs

(ideally I would prefer both ahahha )

One thing I really like is the catering SEA-SFO vs SFO-SEA. Pretty much every time I fly SEA-SFO, the snack is slices of hard bread with monthly-changing puree spread (usually kale but sometimes squash)

I think flying SFO-SEA, I'm 75% chance of the same salad I will get SEA-JFK, and 25% chance bread-spread
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Will be flying SEA-SAN-OGG in F later this week... can someone give me an idea of what kind of meal I may expect?

SEA-SAN is a 7:55p departure listed as a "snack"

SAN-OGG is a 7:15a departure listed as "breakfast"

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
1/16 AS844 LIH-SJC

Salad
Kailani mixed greens with granny smith apples, candied walnuts and blue cheese

Choice of entree
Mozzarella stuffed chicken breast with fennel tomato cream sauce, penne pasta and grilled asparagus

or

Grilled Asian herbed Kauai shrimp with orange-ginger sauce, soy-braised snap peas, and wasabi mashed potatoes

Dessert
Peppermint chocolate souffle with vanilla whipped cream

Alaska and their sauces...

Salad looked wonderful, but threw it out because I forgot that AS douses their salads with dressing before serving rather than putting the dressing on the side like DL, AA and UA do. Shrimp were tasty, although a bit overcooked. Never expected an orange ginger sauce to be a cream sauce, but the FA provided me with a dozen napkins on request so I could wipe the sauce off to salvage the shrimp.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Upgraded for Monday flight mci-pdx.

Lunch meal served chicken ceaser salad
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by channa
1/16 AS844 LIH-SJC

Salad
Kailani mixed greens with granny smith apples, candied walnuts and blue cheese

Choice of entree
Mozzarella stuffed chicken breast with fennel tomato cream sauce, penne pasta and grilled asparagus

or

Grilled Asian herbed Kauai shrimp with orange-ginger sauce, soy-braised snap peas, and wasabi mashed potatoes

Dessert
Peppermint chocolate souffle with vanilla whipped cream

Alaska and their sauces...

Salad looked wonderful, but threw it out because I forgot that AS douses their salads with dressing before serving rather than putting the dressing on the side like DL, AA and UA do. Shrimp were tasty, although a bit overcooked. Never expected an orange ginger sauce to be a cream sauce, but the FA provided me with a dozen napkins on request so I could wipe the sauce off to salvage the shrimp.
LIH does have the best catering in the system. Not sure how its all plated, but typically the FA puts the sauce on, perhaps ask in the future if they can hold before ordering?
Typically dressing is served on the side too (except perhaps Hawaii is different).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
1-13-17 AS802 KOA-PDX

Chicken or salmon. I had the chicken.

Service is quicker and more attentive with only 12 in F.
Attached Images    
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Date of Flight: 1/11/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS #145 PDX-ANC
Time of Departure: Sched 10:45 PM, but delayed to 12:30 AM 1/12/17
Length of flight: 3 1/2 hours
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage service: Nothing other than a bottle of water.

Meal served: "Snack"
Meal Description: A Caesar salad of incredibly crisp hearts of romaine, topped with large pieces of blackened white-meat chicken, served with an "Olive Garden style" bland bread stick. The Caesar dressing was served on the side, so the salad stayed fresh. There was a small Seattle Chocolate for the dessert.

Additional Comments: A while back I was a regular on the late-night AS #145, and it used to be a "warm cookie" snack flight. The Caesar salad was a welcome sight!

Overall, this was one of the better "snack" items that I've had during the past year or so on AS. I much preferred it over the limp leaf lettuce - or arugula! - salads that have been served. And it was far better than the icky, gritty kale-hummus dip ...

Perhaps the only better snack I've seen in the past year was about 9 months ago when a snack of pulled chicken sliders with cole slaw was served on a couple of my flights.
1-13-17 SEA-ANC AS755 same meal.

Glad to see the service increased again from just a cookie or two ^. Seems a fair # of pax participated as well.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: January 16, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 184 FAI-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:40pm
Length of flight: 3:10
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: Our flight attendant described it simply as "Roasted Chicken". "Does it come with anything?" I asked. "Yes," he replied. "Mashed potatoes and beans."

Additional Comments: Our Flight Attendant provided a very nice service. How someone who cares enough to present this meal course by course would not bother to describe the meal per the paperwork from catering is a mystery to me. Perhaps AS Flyer can shed some light on this. Perhaps the FAs aren't always given that paperwork. Anyway - on to the meal...

Were those little pieces of Macadamia Nuts in that gravy? If so, they were the most inspiring part of this entree. The "mashed potatoes" were actually sweet potatoes (or yams - I can't tell the difference) and for a guy who doesn't much care for sweet potatoes, I thought they were pretty good. The green beans were crisp.

I've had this meal before. On a couple of occasions. Per my tastes, it's just okay. Additionally, I don't think it presents very well. My pictures make it look better than it is. It seems to show up a lot on flights to ANC and FAI.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: January 17, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 754 SEA-RDU
Time of Departure: 8:30am
Length of flight: 4:40
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: Menu cards were doled out, and collected immediately afterward. The choices were a Mushroom and Swiss Cheese Omelet ~ or ~ a Bacon & Leek Quiche

Additional Comments: A nice - indeed gracious - service from our Flight Attendant. Hot towels, drinks, food served in a timely yet unhurried manner. I don't care for leeks and, being seated in the front half of the cabin, I was thankful to have a choice of entrees available to me.

The fruit plate was good, albeit a bit basic as fruit plates go. Both the strawberries and oranges had a lot of flavor. Also, the Almond Poppyseed muffin was delicious!

The omelet looked and tasted great! Nice presentation on the plate and some nicely flavored potatoes. Was that chicken sausage? It was good. For those desiring even more flavor, sachets of Tabasco and Ketchup were provided.

Per my tastes, a fine breakfast that makes me wish I were flying another eastbound breakfast transcon this month. Alas - I'm not.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
AS 3456, PDX-BUR, 1/14: Oatmeal and a side of fruit

AS 543, LAX-PDX, 1/14: Chicken marsala with wild rice and green beans, plus a side salad and Dancing Deer lemon square
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
[Editorial] I miss the old days of having separate "Meal Report" and "Meal Discussion" threads. It's difficult to find the actual meal descriptions in the all-over-the-place combined threads. [/Editorial]
Me too. If enough participants here had the discipline to adhere to the correct forum, the benefits would be manifold. People curious about Alaska's meals could simply scroll through nothing but meals and hopefully more easily find a posted account of what they were looking for. This might also contribute to a reduction in new posters clearly not bothering to search the meal descriptions in the first place and instead just asking. Could it be because there's way too much chaff to wade through before you get to the wheat...

Unfortunately, it was not to be. Right from the get go a significant percentage of participants couldn't be bothered to post in the appropriate thread. Honestly, I think most of them saw the request to do so as more of a bother than not (if they even bothered to take notice of it at all) and simply posted willy-nilly.

You can lead a horse to water...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 18, 2017 at 1:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.