Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
How often do the transcon menus rotate?

I'm pretty sure my LAX-DCA dinner last week was the exact same menu served on my flight in July.
I think there are about 5 or 6 that route through the year....the orange french toast or scrambled egg option for breakfast was on my SEA-CHS flight last August, but that's probably cycled through at least once more since then so I'm thinking it takes them about 3-4 months to cycle back.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Date of Flight: 2/15
Flight Number and Route flown: AS434 PDX-LAX
Time of Departure: 1.50pm
Length of flight: 2hr
Class of service: F
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottle of water
Meal served: Announced as "hot turkey sandwich"
Meal Description: Sandwich with two kinds of mystery meat -turkey and bologna?- with olive spread and cheese, served hot. Accompanied by cold green beans. Oatmeal/raisin cookie for dessert. Sandwich would perhaps be more accurately described as a strange turkey/muffuletta hybrid.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Date of Flight: 2/15
Flight Number and Route flown: AS434 PDX-LAX
Time of Departure: 1.50pm
Length of flight: 2hr
Meal served: Announced as "hot turkey sandwich"
Meal Description: Sandwich with two kinds of mystery meat -turkey and bologna?- with olive spread and cheese, served hot. Accompanied by cold green beans. Oatmeal/raisin cookie for dessert. Sandwich would perhaps be more accurately described as a strange turkey/muffuletta hybrid.
Sounds like it was probably this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27889080-post182.html
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
How often do the transcon menus rotate?
Interesting question. How many different meal pairings are there on transcons? Might the answer to this be worth listing in the Wiki under say...

Transcon Menus Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack
Midcon Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack
Alaska & West Coast Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack
Hawaii Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack
Mexico & Caribbean Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack

For example, a listing of transcon breakfast sets seen this year might look like this...:

TRANSCON MENUS ~ BREAKFAST

Orange Brioche French Toast with Scrambled Eggs and Bacon
~or~
Mediterranean Scramble with Potatoes and Chicken Sausage

Fruit Plate: Mexican Fruit Plate (Cucumber, Mango and Watermelon dusted with Mexican seasoning)

while another offers

Bacon & Leek Quiche with Broiled Tomato and Asparagus
~or~
Mushroom and Cheese Omelet with Potatoes O'Brien and Chicken Sausage

Fruit Plate: Sliced Orange Rounds and a Strawberry garnished with mint leaf

Yet another one we've seen is:

Denver Omelet with Hash Browns and Chicken Sausage
~or~
Beecher's Quiche with Asparagus

Fruit Plate: Watermelon, Oranges, Pineapple, Strawberries and a Blackberry

The beauty of having these meals listed in the Wiki is that it's pure, easily accessed and understood data.
Because the Wiki is informational only, it is strictly devoid of any extraneous and distracting commentary on the various foods offered.

Again - just a thought... If enough people think it'd be a good idea, I'd be willing to build the framework.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 18, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS
This gets my vote. ^
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:37 pm

Ditto what he said... ↑
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

On the Anchorage to Seattle route, depending upon the day of the week Alaska offers between 8 and 12 flights per day versus Delta's three. Amongst those twelve flights that Alaska might offer are flights serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

This month's dinner offering on the ANC/FAI to SEA route is the Garlic Beef (though I once heard it referred to as "Mustard Beef"). I've flown the route three times this month - dinner flights all. Between Anchorage and Seattle you'll find it on the 4:50p and 7:15p daily departures and the 5:55p Thursday departure.

Speaking solely per my tastes at least, when it comes to a true dinner service I'll take Alaska's Garlic Beef everyday and Tuesday over the little dish of rice topped with that mass of undefinable protoplasm proffered by Delta.

For comparison purposes, here is a picture of this month's Garlic Beef dinner being served on the ANC/FAI to SEA route.
we had this on our anc-sea flight last night (the 7:15 departure) and it was referenced as mustard beef. that said, while it may not appear appetizing we found it to be quite tasty and both finished the plates. would definitely take it again.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:20 am

DCA-PDX and back

Date of Flight: 2/16
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 771 DCA-PDX
Time of Departure: 5:15pm
Length of flight: 5hr20mins
Meal served: Chicken or Cod
Meal Description: Arugula salad with grilled pears was way to sour. I choose the cod which wasn't half bad. It came with scalloped potatoes which were very cheesy (can't go wrong with cheese) and the lovely red chard (which I avoided because of the onions in it). Dessert was a mini cupcake and a strawberry. Service was great as my glass was never empty (and thanks to the person who posted about the hazelnut vodka and baileys!!).

Date of Flight: 2/20
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 764 PDX-DCA
Time of Departure: 10:00am
Length of flight: 4hr20mins
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottle of water and surprising they were doing an actual PDB service - I just got coffee but saw others with mixed drinks
Meal served: Chicken or Tortellini
Meal Description: Sitting in 3F, didn't have a choice so ended up with the tortellini. Started with another arugula salad with squash or something. I didn't touch that. The tortellini had sausage and plenty of shaved parm but very little sauce (I wouldn't call it sauce as it was pastey). It was OK. Dessert was a large warm chocolate muffin with fresh whipped cream. DELISH!! Great service again.

One thing I did notice is since AK has gone to 12 first seats, service isn't as attentive since there is now only 1 FA for the cabin. I noticed a difference when seated in 1A vs 3F. Don't get me wrong, service was great but my glass was empty for longer periods sitting in 3F.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I thought the 12 F cabin was better service compared to 16 in the old configs of 73H F. There was only one FA in F then, and one now. Now some FA's do help out, which is great. But it doesn't always happen.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airlinemileswhore
Date of Flight: 2/16
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 771 DCA-PDX
Time of Departure: 5:15pm
Length of flight: 5hr20mins
Meal served: Chicken or Cod
Meal Description: Arugula salad with grilled pears was way to sour. I choose the cod which wasn't half bad. It came with scalloped potatoes which were very cheesy (can't go wrong with cheese) and the lovely red chard (which I avoided because of the onions in it). Dessert was a mini cupcake and a strawberry. Service was great as my glass was never empty (and thanks to the person who posted about the hazelnut vodka and baileys!!).

Date of Flight: 2/20
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 764 PDX-DCA
Time of Departure: 10:00am
Length of flight: 4hr20mins
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottle of water and surprising they were doing an actual PDB service - I just got coffee but saw others with mixed drinks
Meal served: Chicken or Tortellini
Meal Description: Sitting in 3F, didn't have a choice so ended up with the tortellini. Started with another arugula salad with squash or something. I didn't touch that. The tortellini had sausage and plenty of shaved parm but very little sauce (I wouldn't call it sauce as it was pastey). It was OK. Dessert was a large warm chocolate muffin with fresh whipped cream. DELISH!! Great service again.

One thing I did notice is since AK has gone to 12 first seats, service isn't as attentive since there is now only 1 FA for the cabin. I noticed a difference when seated in 1A vs 3F. Don't get me wrong, service was great but my glass was empty for longer periods sitting in 3F.
Did they do the snack basket? Have F this week between SEA-KOA and back, and haven't seen it recently. So just curious.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ffman999
Did they do the snack basket? Have F this week between SEA-KOA and back, and haven't seen it recently. So just curious.
they sent out a survey awhile back about the snack basket with many leading questions about "replacing it" with an "enhancement"...so it wouldn't surprise me to hear its gone the way of the do-do in exchange for a .02oz bag of crasins from PE
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Just an experiential comment re my SEA-JNU flight today in F. It was the midday (75) flight and the meal was the chicken salad sandwich. I didn't want that and asked the F/A if I could have the fruit and cheese plate. He said sure, but for a price. Ms. dave1013 was sitting next to me, listening to the conversation, and asked the F/A if the charge would apply for a MM. He said no, and also that he hadn't checked his handheld before taking drink and meal orders. He apologized profusely and gladly brought me up a comp F&CP later on in the flight. I wasn't aware of this particular perk but am glad that my wife was! Of course, she had to bogart some of the grapes.....

When he initially turned down my request, he mentioned that there was a company exec on the plane and he had to follow the rules without exception. So I wonder if his initial answer would have been different had the bigwig not been on the plane. An IOU for a later flight.....

Last edited by dave1013; Feb 21, 2017 at 5:40 pm Reason: she, not he
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ffman999
Yes, there was a snack basket with several options...very impressed as there were at least 5 different options to choose from.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I thought the 12 F cabin was better service compared to 16 in the old configs of 73H F. There was only one FA in F then, and one now. Now some FA's do help out, which is great. But it doesn't always happen.
My two flights in F back in late October 2016, one FA was helping prep the meals while the other did all the conversing with the passengers. That's probably why I made that comment. Thought there were always two FAs working F.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by airlinemileswhore
My two flights in F back in late October 2016, one FA was helping prep the meals while the other did all the conversing with the passengers. That's probably why I made that comment. Thought there were always two FAs working F.
Only one FA is assigned to F, but sometimes one of the Y FAs will pass the warm towels before going back to his/her usual duties in coach.

But here's another thought - on a couple of my recent flights there were two extra FAs on board. They were introduced as trainees who were wrapping up their on-the-job experience before graduation.

On both of those flights the one of the trainees stayed in F and handled the meals and drinks while the experienced crew member supervised and talked with passengers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.