Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Talk me into/out of it: leave DL for Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt

So live in Seattle, and I travel from SEA-SFO 1-2x a month, with maybe an international trip or two a year. Alaska's obviously the major airline out of Seatac, and I am interested in switching -- they have a good FF program (though I have no problem hitting the spending requirement on DL), and Alaska has a good credit card bonus with a free companion ticket (perfect for my son to travel back on NYC with us for holidays).

So this whole SPG award xfer arbitrage has got me thinking-- maybe if Singapore, Korean and Cathay are partners, that could cover my Japan travels (though ANA and Delta are prob better nonstop from Seattle), and AF and Virgin to Europe?

For play, I fly to NYC and DC to see family; we love Hawaii, and we're going back to Japan again this coming summer, maybe Europe after that. I'd like to fly the big transcons trips in business or if I have to pay, a real Premium Economy product.

I spent a ton of Delta CC $ to get about 400K total Skypesos, and have been disappointed how many miles and how opaque the DeltaOne award travel process is.

Just flew SEA-IAD on Alaska, and SEA-JFK on DL had better in-seat entertainment.

I just qualified for Gold Medallion on DL, but with the Virgin merger, this seems as good a time as any to reassess. Maybe I could get a status match, even.

Given my travel patterns and goals --- should I switch?

Last edited by tripmaster; Dec 25, 2016 at 6:52 am
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Yes.

Neil
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:53 pm

Hi -

I do not think you are supposed to post the same thread in two different forums. I suggest you delete either this one or the same thread in the DL forum.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orwaid
..I do not think you are supposed to post the same thread in two different forums. I suggest you delete either this one or the same thread in the DL forum.
As above cross posting is discouraged. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...dl-alaska.html

What are your objectives from a ffp?
If awards are your objectives, look closely the AS award chart & award rules
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:40 pm

I had the same question, different travel patterns, and made a conclusion. Might help the original poster.

I barely make MVP (by flying on AS, DL, AA ) and also fly United and Southwest occasionally, Virgin America rarely. Should I drop DL or AS/AA?

My answer is no. For example, SEA-JFK DL has an am, 1 pm, and red eye. AA has an am and AS a red eye. Being a slave and excluding the 1 pm as well as occasionally cheaper fares is not worth complete loyalty. Instead, I will slightly favor one program but not be completely loyal. In return, I will forfeit 2018 MVP and early boarding and free luggage check in. Can't help it.

MVP Gold has more perks but then you will suffer more often from loyalty causing suboptimal selections. In the long run, it will be hard, but not impossible, for AS to compete unless one flies to Alaska or smaller AS destinations to and from Seattle.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:44 pm

DL entertainment is superior as the schedule for a few airports, such as JFK. AS is slightly friendlier but only a bit.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Delta's FF program has a revenue requirement and Alaska's does not...I pick AS....my goal is to attain elite status for the least possible amount of money so I have no intention of purposely spending more on DL to gain elite status that would cost me less on AS.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

I do not think you are supposed to post the same thread in two different forums. I suggest you delete either this one or the same thread in the DL forum.
Apologies, I edited both to reflect what I like about DL on the DL forum, and AS on this forum. I am interested in hearing both sides, and not sure Delta folks frequent this forum.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
I am in process of status matching and switching loyalty to Alaska from Delta.

I am done being loyal to one airline whose Miles are pretty worthless.

With Alaska I can fly many different airlines-AA, AS, VX domestic and earn miles that are actually valuable towards award travel.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: DL GM
I'm both a DL Silver and an AS MVP - sadly, my MVP will expire at the end of the year (and even though I have enough BIS miles for Gold on DL, I'll be short $500 MQD). For me in BOS, the entire reason why I'm sticking with DL has to do with routes and schedules. But since you're based in SEA, that's not going to be much of an issue.

Here's what I've noticed as the difference:

1) Entertainment. If you're lucky enough to fly DL 737s with the seat-back AVOD, then the onboard entertainment will be better than AS. If you're on DL's A320s, 717s, MD90s, etc (which is what I usually end up on), then they just have streaming. It's not any better or worse than AS - I don't think either carrier gets new streaming content fast enough. I've begun to watch a lot of foreign films because I've run out of english language movies.

2) Comfort+. This was a nice perk for DL as a Silver when you could select any C+ seat 24 hours out. Now that it's an upgrade queue, and I fly on business heavy routes (as a leisure traveler), I've gotten 2 C+ upgrades in 20 segments. I haven't seen AS's new premium economy product, so I can't compare. On either carrier exit row is just fine for me.

3) Meals. DL is trying to up its game, but I always liked the AS cheese plate ("Beechers cheeses are the snack that pleases") and an Alaskan Amber better.

4) Award programs. AS Mileage plan. Hands down. The mileage plan has a few quirks in it, such as the fact that you can't mix partners, and you can only book an award if AS publishes an award chart for that partner between those two regions (most of the awards are ex-North America only - and why no EK to Australia/NZ?). But the AS mileage plan partner are way better than DL's. I'll take CX and JL over MU and CZ any day to asia. EK F is expensive, but at least it's possible.

5) The companion fare - they both have them. I've never tried to use the DL companion fare. I've used a ton of AS companion fares. The AS companion fare pairs well with GGUs if you can get to MVPG.

It's hard to compare complimentary upgrades. I've always flown on popular routes, so they've been few and far between on either carrier. YMMV on different routes. For transcons, you basically have to be flying the redeye or be MVP75k for a chance at an upgrade. On DL, the nonstops are just as bad. If you take a connecting flight, you've got a decent chance at the upgrade on the short leg.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:57 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Virgin Atlantic is no longer partners with VX (in part due to the fact that Delta owns a good chunk of that Virgin now), and we don't know what's going to happen with Singapore, but AS definitely has CX, JL, KE, and Hainan to Asia, BA, AF, KL, and Icelandair to Europe, and AA to both. Which provides a lot of flexibility for award redemptions (and typically better rates) compared to DL's partnerships
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
- You will get more miles flying with Alaska than you do with Delta.
- Alaska offers more predictability on award costs than Delta.
- Alaska offers less award inventory than Delta because they have limited flights of their own, and only have access to "saver" level partner award space. You can use your miles for almost any Delta flight. It'll just cost you dearly in the majority of cases.
- Corollary: Alaska's partners are for the most part the same or better than Delta. You have access to premium airlines like Emirates and Cathay Pacific; Delta gives you access to Aeroflot and China Eastern.
- You will get more miles flying with Alaska vs. Delta to the Bay Area.
- Delta IFE to the Bay Area is nonexistent, isn't it? Alaska lets you stream to your device, similar to Southwest.

In my case - I'm consistent. I just choose the cheapest fare. If it's AA I will credit to AS (as I do now) and if it's DL I'll credit to Czech OK Bonus (as I do now). I am not chasing status since these days, it just doesn't buy you much.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TProphet
- You will get more miles flying with Alaska than you do with Delta.
Freq flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn. They are not 1 to 1.
If awards are the objective from a ffp earn / burn (& cash co-payment if any) is what matters

tripmaster cross posted the exact text in the DL forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...dl-alaska.html Has 21 replies at this time vs 12 on the AS forum
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Fair point that Alaska miles aren't the same as Delta miles, and that on higher fare classes (which it looks like the OP does not buy) you can come out ahead with Delta. Most folks come out ahead with Alaska though, and Alaska miles are generally more valuable.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Realistically you can't go wrong with either carrier as long as you have PreCheck flying out of SEA. At least this duopoly is the best two.

Funny timing, though, I was thinking with the end in partnership it might be time for me to go from AS to DL I love Alaska (just made 75K by a few miles this year) but a good chunk of my earning comes from international discounted J, which was often on DL/AF/KL. However at end of the day AS has my vote for what others above mentioned, particularly the waiver fee changes. The easy access to a human being via phone is something I also enjoy.

Either way nothing will bring back what I had, which was ability to fly both airlines and earn in one program. Such is life. I just need to get better about spending the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.