Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by Finkface
I must have skipped over this in the announcement. So flights on VX are considered as AS metal for elite level qualification in the same way that QX is? As in, one needs only 40k to reach MVPG using all VX flights or a combination of AS/VX flights, for example? If so, that's great!
The "Partner" Page is live now:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...n-america.aspx
Attached Images  
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:58 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Finkface
I must have skipped over this in the announcement. So flights on VX are considered as AS metal for elite level qualification in the same way that QX is? As in, one needs only 40k to reach MVPG using all VX flights or a combination of AS/VX flights, for example? If so, that's great!
Yes

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
When will VX flights be available for purchase on alaskaair.com?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
When will VX flights be available for purchase on alaskaair.com?
later this afternoon
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Zero 5,000 mile flights

Missy, could you look into this as perhaps something was missed here. I scanned the entire schedule and there are ZERO options for a 5,000 point redemption on YEG to SEA. I did see an odd 7,500 YEG to LAX via SEA but very rare indeed. If 5,000 is a redemption level then it needs to be available at some point over the next year of schedule! . Oh and YEG-SEA is 557 miles IIRC.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Out of curiosity, why does the new business and first class on partner promotion say up to 80% more miles in the promotional materials, but offers up to 200% on some first class fares on the earning charts on the website? What am I missing?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by missydarlin
^^^
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyaow
Out of curiosity, why does the new business and first class on partner promotion say up to 80% more miles in the promotional materials, but offers up to 200% on some first class fares on the earning charts on the website? What am I missing?
is there an airline/cabin in particular you're looking at?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mrapollinax

So, if I book a VX flight number in J or C and credit to MP I earn 75% bonus and D is 50%, but if I book an AS codeshare for VX metal in any front cabin seat bucket, do I earn 75%?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:33 pm

Yes, for Japan Airlines, for instance, it seems that after December 19th in First class you now get +200% "Additional Bonus" - much more than the "up to 80%" in the promotional materials about the changes at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...m-changes.aspx

Could you clarify?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
BA A class is going from 250% miles to 450% miles (100% base + 150% bonus + 200% additional bonus). That's 80% more miles.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
This is quite nuts actually: many (most) non stop VX from LAX to BOS as well as New York are now 20% to 50% more (Feb onward) after today's announcement. I was monitoring fares for the past week but did not pull the trigger as I wanted to get more clarity from today's press release.

Not sure if AS is now pricing them higher or the demand is so much greater. If latter, it goes to show that people are willing to pay a premium for a superior frequent flyer program -- and AS MVPs don't great upgrades on VX -- just EQMs and more RDMs.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
BA A class is going from 250% miles to 450% miles (100% base + 150% bonus + 200% additional bonus. That's 80% more miles.
Ahhhhhh.....Gotcha. Duh. Thank you!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Missy, could you look into this as perhaps something was missed here. I scanned the entire schedule and there are ZERO options for a 5,000 point redemption on YEG to SEA. I did see an odd 7,500 YEG to LAX via SEA but very rare indeed. If 5,000 is a redemption level then it needs to be available at some point over the next year of schedule! . Oh and YEG-SEA is 557 miles IIRC.
It depends on the revenue fare class that's available in the market. My guess is SEA-YEG doesn't have G/R/T fares filed for that market.

AS isn't going to let you spend 5k miles to redeem a $175 one-way fare. That's not how this works. They're happy to let you spend 5k miles on a $59 SEA-LAX o/w fare, though...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Ahhhhhh.....Gotcha. Duh. Thank you!
Marketing math is fun!

We also said save up to 30% on award travel - basing it on the intra-state drop from 7.5K to 5K, when in actuality, we also have some 12.5K awards dropping to 5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.