Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:27 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by SDtravel619
Missy, please pardon me if this has been addressed.

Will Alaska Airlines CC holders earn 3x miles when purchasing VX airfare with the BofA card?

Thank you in Advance!

Jeremy
If you purchase it at AS.com, yes.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalanMan
Hi Missy, hope your vacation was great and relaxing! Thanks for doing stuff like this thread. This is invaluable for creating confidence with customers like myself.

I purchased an itinerary (using AmEx as the travel agent, because I wanted to use my Membership Rewards points-as-cash). Both flights were labeled as Alaska codeshares operated by Virgin America. Both legs are in the "R" booking class, which according to the "Earn on Alaska" site means I'd be getting 100% MP milage earning. Both flights were in the "1000-1999 (operated by Virgin America)" range. Specifically, on the AmEx confirmation, the first flight is listed as "Alaska Airlines 1178 Operated by VIRGIN AMERICA" and the second is "Alaska Airlines 1183 Operated by VIRGIN AMERICA".

But now, looking at my reservation in "My Trips", I see this on this first flight:
Virgin America 1178
Check in with Virgin America
Coach (R) | Nonstop | Details

And this on the second flight:
Virgin America 183 (Alaska 1183)
Operated by Virgin America
Check in with Virgin America
Coach (R) | Nonstop | Details

This makes it look to me like the second flight is an Alaska codeshare and therefore should get the 100% earning that an AS R fare would, but that the first is simply a VX flight, and on the VX partner earning page, VX flights don't seem to earn anything on R fares.

Any idea what's going on here? Is there really a chance that I'd book a VX flight through AS (the ticket starts 027...) and get no miles for it? Travel is in May.

I'd call customer service for clarification, but the last time I did, I was told bad information. (That a Business Class "C" fare would earn miles with LAN Chile. C is not listed on the website at all, in either the earning table or the "Miles may not be earned in" section.) I called and was told that it would earn, but it didn't. I trust that you'll actually know what's going on here or do the research to find out.

Thanks again for doing what you're doing!
Without looking at your reservation, its hard to answer your question.

Had you actually booked it on as.com, it would definitely be a codeshare, but I'm not familiar with AMEX bookings. It's possible for an agency to put a non-codeshare flight on AS ticket stock.

I would call Alaska reservations and ask how they see it in the system.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I'm not certain this is the place for my issues, but so far nobody at AS, VX or Points.com has been of any help.

I know that there have been issues with the points transfer site, though in my email exchanges with Points.com it seems that the larger issues have been resolved.

Anyhow, after speaking repeatedly with various levels of AS customer service there's no doubt that my Elevate and Mileage Plan accounts are linked and I received the 10K bonus.

However, when I use the Points.com transfer site it does not recognize that the link and asks me to register my Alaska account. After entering MP# and name and clicking "Next Step" I get a never ending pinwheel of death. I've had the same problem for the last week, and have gotten no useful input on how to remedy it. Points.com says its not their issue and I'll need to follow up with AS, and AS tells me it's a Points.com problem and I should wait it out. At this points I'm frustrated and impatient.

It may be relevant that I never received the original email inviting me to link despite being longstanding member of both programs (~2010 for both). Only after speaking with customer service the first time did I receive the welcome email.

Any insight on how to proceed or on similar experiences would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

A couple of questions-

Did you have an AS account before the merger?
Is your personal info identical in both accounts? Middle name vs no middle name, date of birth, zip code, phone number, etc.

If you want to PM your # for both accounts, I can ask someone to look into it.

Originally Posted by mikeyTbone
I'm not certain this is the place for my issues, but so far nobody at AS, VX or Points.com has been of any help.

I know that there have been issues with the points transfer site, though in my email exchanges with Points.com it seems that the larger issues have been resolved.

Anyhow, after speaking repeatedly with various levels of AS customer service there's no doubt that my Elevate and Mileage Plan accounts are linked and I received the 10K bonus.

However, when I use the Points.com transfer site it does not recognize that the link and asks me to register my Alaska account. After entering MP# and name and clicking "Next Step" I get a never ending pinwheel of death. I've had the same problem for the last week, and have gotten no useful input on how to remedy it. Points.com says its not their issue and I'll need to follow up with AS, and AS tells me it's a Points.com problem and I should wait it out. At this points I'm frustrated and impatient.

It may be relevant that I never received the original email inviting me to link despite being longstanding member of both programs (~2010 for both). Only after speaking with customer service the first time did I receive the welcome email.

Any insight on how to proceed or on similar experiences would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
How long should the miles transfer from VX to AS take? Hours, Days, Weeks? I made a transfer on the 13th, the email said in progress and would complete soon.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:09 pm

10000 points

With active accounts in both programs, am I entitled to them, how do I get them, is there a deadline to submit a request?

Did not receive an email invitation, to link, nor points, have not yet linked nor transferred. Where can I find a how to on this, or who if anyone should I call?
Would also like to transfer my virgin to Alaska , thank you
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
How long should the miles transfer from VX to AS take? Hours, Days, Weeks? I made a transfer on the 13th, the email said in progress and would complete soon.
Its my understanding that it's normally under 10 minutes.

I'd give it til tomorrow, then call customer care.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
With active accounts in both programs, am I entitled to them, how do I get them, is there a deadline to submit a request?

Did not receive an email invitation, to link, nor points, have not yet linked nor transferred. Where can I find a how to on this, or who if anyone should I call?
Would also like to transfer my virgin to Alaska , thank you
Alaska Customer Care
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...e-numbers.aspx
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by missydarlin

Its been since the 13th, I've called, they'll look into it or they're gone for the day. Twitter is looking into it, now also.

10 minutes, that's what I thought from the email I got when I did it on the 13th.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Without looking at your reservation, its hard to answer your question.

Had you actually booked it on as.com, it would definitely be a codeshare, but I'm not familiar with AMEX bookings. It's possible for an agency to put a non-codeshare flight on AS ticket stock.

I would call Alaska reservations and ask how they see it in the system.
Wow, thanks for the quick response! I called and the agent assured me that I am booked on an AS codeshare, though she also sees the same weirdness with how the flights are being displayed. Apparently AS 1183 is a codeshare of VX 183 while AS 1178 is a codeshare of VX 1178, so maybe the duplicate number has something to do with it.

Now, just hoping for full Mileage Plan elite benefits when on VX metal by May!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:46 am

here's what they say in response to your 10 minute guess.

Alaska Airlines sent you a Direct Message.

Trust me, I wish it was that easy, but this is unfortunately not something that can be squared away in 10 minutes. I'm on this and am hoping to hear back from the third party (points.com) that handles these very soon. -Steven
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

here's what they say in response to your 10 minute guess.

Alaska Airlines sent you a Direct Message.

Trust me, I wish it was that easy, but this is unfortunately not something that can be squared away in 10 minutes. I'm on this and am hoping to hear back from the third party (points.com) that handles these very soon. -Steven
What I said was that normally it takes less than 10 minutes for a points transfer to go through. Not that it would take 10 minutes to "square away" whatever went sideways with your particular transfer.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:43 pm

Are you sure you were logged into the correct account? I recall being logged into my wife's account before switching
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:23 pm

What I said was that normally it takes less than 10 minutes for a points transfer to go through. Not that it would take 10 minutes to "square away" whatever went sideways with your particular transfer.
I only have the one AS account and one VX account, the only thing that should have went sideways is the "slider" to determine the number of miles transferring.

"Use the slider to select the number of points you'd like to convert".
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I only have the one AS account and one VX account, the only thing that should have went sideways is the "slider" to determine the number of miles transferring.

"Use the slider to select the number of points you'd like to convert".
Yes, that threw me and I wound up not transferring all the points I wanted to, on my first attempt (since the slider isn't set at the maximum by default). But it was easy enough to initiate a second transfer for the balance of the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.