Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Virgin Credit card update?

Hi Missy,

Are there any news on what is to become of the VX Visa for those of us who have it?
Old May 24, 2017, 1:11 pm

Hi Missy, after a couple of days of frustration I thought maybe you could help.

I have a Condor award booking YVR-FRA-NAP departing Oct 4 and am trying to get seats booked. After 6 (maybe 7) calls now amongst Alaska and Condor I still cannot get seats assigned on the FRA-NAP leg. Initially it appeared to be a booking class problem (all coded to Business I, even though the 2nd leg doesn't have business cabin) and the AS agent "fixed" this to Premium Economy "A" but still no go - Condor insists AS has to call to book seats. I've read in the Condor thread in here that someone got AS to successfully call Condor and get seats booked but now all I get is the circular references to each other from agents. Can you find out who/how/timing/restrictions of actually getting this done?

Yes, I know it is a ways out but when something goes wrong early it makes me concerned for what else may go sideways.

Thanks

P.S. Added this to my posts on the Condor thread.

OK, after a little playing around on the Condor site, I can dummy book and select seats in "Premium" class on FRA-NAP (Condor 1812) on SOME days. Those days being when Condor uses their own metal, however the day I have booked is on a day when Bul Air operates the flight (seems like a wet lease arrangement) and it gives a "technical error" when trying to select seats.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...20-2017-a.html

So, not reservable on-line even on Condor - what about call-in?

Last edited by robsaw; May 24, 2017 at 2:09 pm Reason: New info
Old May 24, 2017, 3:17 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Hi Missy,

Are there any news on what is to become of the VX Visa for those of us who have it?
There is not yet any news to share on that front.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robsaw
Hi Missy, after a couple of days of frustration I thought maybe you could help.

I have a Condor award booking YVR-FRA-NAP departing Oct 4 and am trying to get seats booked. After 6 (maybe 7) calls now amongst Alaska and Condor I still cannot get seats assigned on the FRA-NAP leg. Initially it appeared to be a booking class problem (all coded to Business I, even though the 2nd leg doesn't have business cabin) and the AS agent "fixed" this to Premium Economy "A" but still no go - Condor insists AS has to call to book seats. I've read in the Condor thread in here that someone got AS to successfully call Condor and get seats booked but now all I get is the circular references to each other from agents. Can you find out who/how/timing/restrictions of actually getting this done?

Yes, I know it is a ways out but when something goes wrong early it makes me concerned for what else may go sideways.

Thanks

P.S. Added this to my posts on the Condor thread.

OK, after a little playing around on the Condor site, I can dummy book and select seats in "Premium" class on FRA-NAP (Condor 1812) on SOME days. Those days being when Condor uses their own metal, however the day I have booked is on a day when Bul Air operates the flight (seems like a wet lease arrangement) and it gives a "technical error" when trying to select seats.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...20-2017-a.html

So, not reservable on-line even on Condor - what about call-in?
That's a lot of calls over a 700 mile flight

This one might take me a few days to research, but I'll get back to you soon.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
That's a lot of calls over a 700 mile flight

This one might take me a few days to research, but I'll get back to you soon.
Well it connects on the same booking to a slightly longer Vancouver - Frankfurt flight.

Thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Hi Missy. I just had another experience on a LAX to BWI flight tonight where two paid upgrades were sold without touching the elite upgrade list. I was actually the only person on the elite upgrade list and between T-45 and the time it took me to get through security to the gate, two paid upgrades had been sold. I had asked the check in counter prior and they told me there were two unsold first class seats remaining, but when I got to the gate, the board showed all sold out.

Also, on board, the flight attendants were saying that I was not showing up as mvp gold on their handsets. Could this have been the problem? I did show up on the monitors at the airport for upgrade requests.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Hi Missy. I just had another experience on a LAX to BWI flight tonight where two paid upgrades were sold without touching the elite upgrade list. I was actually the only person on the elite upgrade list and between T-45 and the time it took me to get through security to the gate, two paid upgrades had been sold. I had asked the check in counter prior and they told me there were two unsold first class seats remaining, but when I got to the gate, the board showed all sold out.

Also, on board, the flight attendants were saying that I was not showing up as mvp gold on their handsets. Could this have been the problem? I did show up on the monitors at the airport for upgrade requests.
Did the gate agent tell you that they sold the seats, or are you making an assumption based on the fact that the counter said there were two and there weren't when you got to the gate?
Old May 27, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Did the gate agent tell you that they sold the seats, or are you making an assumption based on the fact that the counter said there were two and there weren't when you got to the gate?
I could not ask the gate agent because our flight was over an hour late and the original gate agents went to meet another plane. The new set of gate agents were too busy meeting the late arriving plane and immediately boarded us. I did witness one lady try to ask for a paid upgrade and she was told that first class was sold out. I also asked a father and son sitting in 1C and 1D (these were the two seats that were open) and they said they did a paid upgrade. I'm not sure if that meant the 100 dollar paid upgrade or not though..
Old May 28, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: AS
Missy,
EK awards on AS website are constantly showing error message when checking
out .
What is going on with EK awards on the AS site. Called reservations and they have no idea. Only offer the advice to keep trying everyday.
Perhaps you have some insight....

Thanks
Old May 28, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by PandaMVP
I could not ask the gate agent because our flight was over an hour late and the original gate agents went to meet another plane. The new set of gate agents were too busy meeting the late arriving plane and immediately boarded us. I did witness one lady try to ask for a paid upgrade and she was told that first class was sold out. I also asked a father and son sitting in 1C and 1D (these were the two seats that were open) and they said they did a paid upgrade. I'm not sure if that meant the 100 dollar paid upgrade or not though..
Mileage upgrade maybe? If not, then that sucks.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
Missy,
EK awards on AS website are constantly showing error message when checking
out .
What is going on with EK awards on the AS site. Called reservations and they have no idea. Only offer the advice to keep trying everyday.
Perhaps you have some insight....

Thanks
I need some more specifics. What dates and routes are you looking at?
Old May 30, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AS
I need some more specifics. What dates and routes are you looking at?
Thanks for looking into this.

LAX - SYD Feb 14, 2018 Emirates
AS shows both F and Business . Trying to book business class for 2.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
Post Service Animals

Recent QX flight seemed to have more than 2 service animals on board in the cabin. Led to a discussion with my seat mate regarding this. Specifically what to do if you as an "unsuspecting" passenger find yourself with an allergic reaction as a result of proximity of the service animal . So... A theoretical issue: Passenger A boards a flight and Passenger B brings aboard a service animal. Before door close, Passenger A informs the crew that he/she is severely allergic to Passenger B's animal. Flight is completely full.
What guidelines does AS have in place? Is the worst case scenario, a forced removal of passenger A, or B? Or do they close door and depart with the potential of an in-flight medical emergency?
I know this is all theoretical, but does AS have guidelines?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Missy, does AS interline baggage with VX across separate tickets? And if so, if there is an overnight connection (let's say last flight into SEA) , does this still apply or would one have to reclaim in SEA and recheck the following morning?

I have a large travel bank amount on VX so my best option would be to buy one ticket on the VX site using travel bank. But I am trying to fly out of YVR, which I can't buy on the VX site as they don't fly out of YVR and they don't show AS flights. I want to check my SUP but it is heavy and the size of a large golf bag and I can't deal with it myself at a connection. So....

1) are we ever going to be able to buy AS flights on VX site? I am sure the answer is no, so....

2) any idea if/when we will able to use VX travel bank funds on AS flights? Again, I am sure the answer is never, so.......

3) if I buy separate tickets from AS and VX, can I interline the bag? And what about the overnight (will be less than 12 hours overnight, i.e arr SEA 2230, depart the next morning at 0600)?

Thanks.

Last edited by Finkface; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Missy, does AS interline baggage with VX across separate tickets? And if so, if there is an overnight connection (let's say last flight into SEA) , does this still apply or would one have to reclaim in SEA and recheck the following morning?

I have a large travel bank amount on VX so my best option would be to buy one ticket on the VX site using travel bank. But I am trying to fly out of YVR, which I can't buy on the VX site as they don't fly out of YVR and they don't show AS flights. I want to check my SUP but it is heavy and the size of a large golf bag and I can't deal with it myself at a connection. So....

1) are we ever going to be able to buy AS flights on VX site? I am sure the answer is no, so....

2) any idea if/when we will able to use VX travel bank funds on AS flights? Again, I am sure the answer is never, so.......

3) if I buy separate tickets from AS and VX, can I interline the bag? And what about the overnight (will be less than 12 hours overnight, i.e arr SEA 2230, depart the next morning at 0600)?

Thanks.
1. No
2. I wouldn't put money on never, but its probably going to be a while.
3. Yes, as long as its < 12 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.