Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cheaper Award Tickets (12/19/2016 Announcement)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Technical Issues:

We've discovered that using the award calendar isn't always displaying the lowest level award for return flights. If you look at the same cities/date as one-way, or in schedule view, it's working correctly.
Print Wikipost

Cheaper Award Tickets (12/19/2016 Announcement)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS
I'm trying to look at award availability on Alaska's website to determine which flights I can book using Avios before calling BA. I used to be able to do so by just finding flights offered at 12,500 miles. Does a segment under 700 miles now have to show availability at 5K in order for it to be bookable by a partner airline?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:20 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by JrcWy
I'm trying to look at award availability on Alaska's website to determine which flights I can book using Avios before calling BA. I used to be able to do so by just finding flights offered at 12,500 miles. Does a segment under 700 miles now have to show availability at 5K in order for it to be bookable by a partner airline?
No. Anything 10K and under (possibly even 12.5K and under, but I can't find an example to confirm) for a <700 miles trip should show up for Avios booking
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by missydarlin
No. Anything 10K and under (possibly even 12.5K and under, but I can't find an example to confirm) for a <700 miles trip should show up for Avios booking
Most AS W Saver Award fares can be booked using Avios. I at one time believed it was 100%, had an example in Nov '16 where BA insisted a SAN-OGG was not available - was able to book as an AA Saaver Award.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
An old thread I know but curious if anyone else has encountered this behavior when booking short routes that have 5k availability.

I’ve noticed that if i look at EF and see W5 that I can get all 5 of my family award seats but not all techniques yield the same result where there are some, but not 5, of the 5k level awards available.

If you search for 5 at once you may see 7500 or 10k per ticket. But if you do a few searches you might see that you can first buy 3 for 5k and then you would expect to go back and pay 7500 or 10000 for the remaining 2 tickets. Only, that isn’t what sometimes happens for me. It seems like if i buy the 3 at 5000 and then quickly return to buy the 2 more W awards, they also most of the time also price at 5000 each. Not sure if this is Revenue Management on the fly releasing the remainder of the W bucket at the 5000 level or a glitch that doesnt reset from 5k to 7500 or 10k for a few minutes. But either way, it makes sense to try to do as 2 reservations, not only to get at least a couple at 5k but also because you may be able to get more at the 5k level thru 2 reservations than thru one reservation.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
An old thread I know but curious if anyone else has encountered this behavior when booking short routes that have 5k availability.

I’ve noticed that if i look at EF and see W5 that I can get all 5 of my family award seats but not all techniques yield the same result where there are some, but not 5, of the 5k level awards available.

If you search for 5 at once you may see 7500 or 10k per ticket. But if you do a few searches you might see that you can first buy 3 for 5k and then you would expect to go back and pay 7500 or 10000 for the remaining 2 tickets. Only, that isn’t what sometimes happens for me. It seems like if i buy the 3 at 5000 and then quickly return to buy the 2 more W awards, they also most of the time also price at 5000 each. Not sure if this is Revenue Management on the fly releasing the remainder of the W bucket at the 5000 level or a glitch that doesnt reset from 5k to 7500 or 10k for a few minutes. But either way, it makes sense to try to do as 2 reservations, not only to get at least a couple at 5k but also because you may be able to get more at the 5k level thru 2 reservations than thru one reservation.
Likely RM. It happens on paid fares sometimes, too.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
It’s because ticketing isn’t instantaneous...I think...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stephem

The number of miles required is based on revenue fare bucket availability - for example, if a flight is R3W5 and the 5k miles level corresponds with R in that market, only 3 seats will be available at the 5k level.

Because W is treated as a lower bucket than R, purchasing the first 3 seats may not actually decrease the number of R seats available.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The number of miles required is based on revenue fare bucket availability - for example, if a flight is R3W5 and the 5k miles level corresponds with R in that market, only 3 seats will be available at the 5k level.

Because W is treated as a lower bucket than R, purchasing the first 3 seats may not actually decrease the number of R seats available.
I think this is it and the number or R bucket seats may change instantaneously as it goes to zero. Anyway, definitely trying this on another route where EF shows R2W4 and there are only 2 5k awards according to Alaska's website.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask...but I have a choice of a 5,000 award or $89 fare for a ticket. Thoughts on better value?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Not sure if this is the right place to ask...but I have a choice of a 5,000 award or $89 fare for a ticket. Thoughts on better value?
There are worse cent-per-mile returns possible, but do you have any inclination toward partner redemptions in the future? Because 50k can get you a one-way two or from Asia with a HKG stopover on CX, in business class. That's worth a hell of a lot more than $890.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Good point...thanks! For $89 I also earn miles...tho only about 500.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.