Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska F Fare Cheaper than Gold/75k Upgrade Fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Seeing this now on flights out in Feb. Wondering why you would pay the upgrade fare if F is available for less?

Anyone else seeing this?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Yep, happens all the time on SEA-DEN and is often a push for SEA-ORD (at least at MVP/MVPG upgrade fares). Not sure why anyone would choose the upgrade fares.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:20 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think the current cyber monday sale may be having a strong affect on those F and discounted economy fares. I don't think this condition will last forever. I am seeing some pretty cheaper than usual F fares for some routes I have flown in the past (BLI-LAS).
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
very common on SEA-SMF/OAK/SFO as well
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
...Not sure why anyone would choose the upgrade fares.
One reason: MVPG using a companion certificate with U space for 2 available at time of booking. That would be me.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There are times when corporate travel policies let you purchase an upgradable fare but NOT a first class / business class fare. So by charging more for the upgrade fare you get self pay travelers in first and are able to charge corporate travelers more, for the same seat.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
One reason: MVPG using a companion certificate with U space for 2 available at time of booking. That would be me.
D'oh! Of course, and something I do annually myself!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
D'oh! Of course, and something I do annually myself!
me too! haha
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:19 am

I don't get how this works. Mind to explain in details? Happy to learn. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by John Wang
I don't get how this works. Mind to explain in details? Happy to learn. Thanks!
The Alaska Visa issued by Bank of America gives you a companion cert each year that allows you to buy one coach ticket at regular price and then include a companion on the same itinerary for $99 plus taxes and fees. Note that this cert only works on coach fares. If you find an itinerary you want that has U (first class upgrade) space available for 2 you can use the companion cert on an upgrade fare suitable for your situation: MVPG, MVPG75 or miles upgrade; it gets messier for MVPs. There are buttons for selecting the upgrade fare type you want on the left edge of the website fare screen. After you select one of the upgrade type buttons flights with upgrade space available will appear with a dark blue box containing a white F next to them. Be sure to search using 2 passengers so that you know upgrade space is available for both of you. Then use the companion cert to make the purchase making certain that you select a fare in the First Class Upgrade fare column. Assuming the system is working correctly, that you check the option for requesting a complimentary first class upgrade near the end of the purchase process, and that U space hasn't disappeared you can both be upgraded to first class at the completion of your purchase if you are MVPG or MVPG75. For mileage upgrades you have to call in after you have purchased the tickets. Again, messier for MVPs. Clear as mud, right?

This definitely saves money over buying F/P fares but note that you don't get the 75% EQM mileage bonus that you would get buying first class directly.

Afterthought disclaimer: I haven't done a mileage upgrade in a long time so I can only say that I believe you can call in and upgrade a companion cert purchase with miles. I know you have to do the original companion cert purchase online, not over the phone, but am assuming that phone staff can process a miles upgrade after the purchase. Anyone who is contemplating doing this should get confirmation that phone upgrades can be done before proceeding.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Dec 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm Reason: to clarify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.