Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

FC upgrade on companion ticket, sans companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG

Just last week I was upgraded at the gate for Sea-Mco. The upgrade list showed 3 upgrades processed; I was number 2.

The odd thing is, I was flying on a companion ticket and my companion was left in coach.

At the time, I chalked it up to more AS changes that I was unaware of, but at check-in for the return flight, I discovered the reservation had been split. Freaked me out when I initially did not find myself on the original reservation!

I contacted customer service after I got back, and was told that 'someone' had made a mistake and split the reservation. CS agent said it shouldn't have happened and my companion should have been upgraded with me.

Which brings me to compensation. What would you expect in this circumstance? These tickets were upgradeable fares, purchased 1/21/16, eleven months in advance.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'd guess there was a last-minute cancellation (inside T-30, and the list was already under gate control) ... if there were initially two available F seats, "someone" indeed split you and companion since the second UG would otherwise have gone to #4 on the list (who was probably higher status than your companion)

as far as compensation, I was originally going to say a GGU -- but since those are becoming far less valuable, I'd settle for a credit for the difference between H and the lowest available non-upgradeable fare on date of booking
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I didn't think a companion fare itinerary could get split??

Could explain this upgrade list from yesterday where a second MIT/S dropped from 6/15 to 15/15.

Would compensation even apply on a complimentary upgrade that wasn't given? It doesn't sound like the OP was paying a higher fare to use a GGU or similar. Maybe a token goodwill gesture?
Attached Images   
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
I didn't think it could happen either! We were both on K fares, btw.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had plenty of companion fares split at the gate for upgrades. But this involved U=1 situations. I've also been skipped when U=1 as the processor doesn't split the PNR.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
On my flight today, my companion and I are split on the waiting list- number 3 and 6. I'm gold and he is MVP; we are on the same reservation.

I called customer care, and they said it is a computer error and they cannot correct it.

My guess is that there are IT issues ahead of Monday's waitlist changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.