Bombardier Q400 planes

Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
since Jul 2015 I've been on the four newest ones (450, 451, 452, 453) and I'm almost 100% certain that at least one of them had window shades
I believe all of the NextGen Q400s have window shades.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba exec silver
Thanks all! I am surprised at the responses - I was thinking people would say that they are horrible and you feel more bumps than a 737 flying at the sameish altitude
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:19 am

IMO most of the people who say they're horrible tend to fly larger mainline aircraft (like half of the UA forum that absolutely seems to hate anything not mainline) between larger cities because they want mainline everywhere with good frequency, economics be damned. I love them because it meant that I could actually fly from my hometown and allows for flights to smaller destinations that would otherwise not be possible with larger aircraft.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I used to avoid AS when flying from EUG because of the turboprop until I finally took the plunge. 31 Q400 segments in the last year, all but one on EUG-PDX, EUG-SEA, PDX-SEA and reverse. I have no issues with flying them on these routes. SEA-EUG is just enough time to get in the air, drink a cup of coffee or a free beer (although service may be curtailed or cut altogether depending on conditions), and then land.

My personal choice would be 20AB or 19DE. The wife likes 1AB or anything in row 2. Either way, the seat further away from the center of the aircraft (and the props) will have slightly less noise. I think the back is better with 20B as the best but you'll sometimes get some exhaust smell back there. If you like, take earplugs for the first time or so. I did that until I realized it really wasn't that much louder than a jet. Now I just put headphones on.

I also sometimes get motion sickness and usually take meclizine (Bonine/Dramamine Less Drowsy) before flying and I've skipped or forgotten to take it many times when flying a Q400. Also nice to get fresh (well, fresh tarmac) air before and after flying as a break from the terminal air thanks to the outdoor boarding.

You'll be fine and before you know it, you'll be in EUG where the short walk from the plane to the gate is longer than the gate to the terminal exit!

ETA: here's an example from YouTube of a Q400. Just turn the volume up!

Last edited by rustykettel; Oct 19, 2016 at 4:44 am
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by firehawk
Thanks all! I am surprised at the responses - I was thinking people would say that they are horrible and you feel more bumps than a 737 flying at the sameish altitude
Q400s and 737s don't cruise at the same altitude. Think 20,000 feet for the Q vs. 30K for a 737. But it's a short flight: a 737 probably wouldn't go to 30K feet on that route, either.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
You get about the same amount of room on a Q400 as most economy seats on a 747.
There's more to roominess than seat pitch and seat width. Curvature of the fuselage matters. Position of seats next to sidewalls matters. Distance to overhead unit matters. If they didn't, one could claim that CRJ-200s are just as roomy as 737s - when knowledgeable flyers know that's a farce.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I used to fly the Q400 on a pretty regular basis around canada. The pilots on these seem pretty good at finding a smooth altitude and sticking with it, so I have never had issues with turbulence. Based on my non scientific findings their flying seems to be a little more elegant compared to a 737. Also for this flight, you will get great views which should be a nice distraction.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
the Q400 is probably one of the quietest turboprops in the skies... lordy, I'd wonder how you all would describe the Metro III's that Horizon used to fly!
Now there is a memory! I used to love those planes because there was only as curtain seperating the cabin from the flight deck, and it was usually open. Really fun to watch them fly and be able to see out the front window!!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by steveman518
IMO most of the people who say they're horrible tend to fly larger mainline aircraft (like half of the UA forum that absolutely seems to hate anything not mainline) between larger cities because they want mainline everywhere with good frequency, economics be damned. I love them because it meant that I could actually fly from my hometown and allows for flights to smaller destinations that would otherwise not be possible with larger aircraft.
As a part time UA flyer (and forum visitor)... I definitely don't like the CR200.

But realistically, they aren't going to fly a 737-800 into my airport any time soon. So I like the fact that UA is serving my airport and just put up with the one hour flight. We should be careful what we are asking for when complaining about QX4 service. When Skywest retired the Brasilias, it left quite a few routes without replacement.

Where I draw the line is when those baby jets get used to fly people half way across the continent. I think I have seen CRJs on SFO-AUS in the past.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
As a part time UA flyer (and forum visitor)... I definitely don't like the CR200.

But realistically, they aren't going to fly a 737-800 into my airport any time soon. So I like the fact that UA is serving my airport and just put up with the one hour flight. We should be careful what we are asking for when complaining about QX4 service. When Skywest retired the Brasilias, it left quite a few routes without replacement.

Where I draw the line is when those baby jets get used to fly people half way across the continent. I think I have seen CRJs on SFO-AUS in the past.
CRJ200 sucks.

The Q400 not so much.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I used to fly the Q400 in and out of EUG when I lived there briefly. It's kind of a fun experience — it's definitely different than a jet, and it's fun walking out on the apron. Sure, it's not ideal, and it's a little bumpier and louder than a mainline jet, but it's perfectly fine for a one hour flight. I also think the Q400 is more comfortable than the CRJ-200, and the service on Alaska/Horizon more than make up for it.

If it's really important to you, UA has some A319s on a few scattered flights to DEN and SFO now, and AA Eagle flies E175s from LAX into EUG. DL will also start flying CR7s from SEA beginning in April. Though I wouldn't shy away from booking Alaska/Horizon. I usually found their prices, schedules, reliability, and service to be better than the other options out of EUG , even with the connection in SEA/PDX considered. Also be sure to enjoy EUG, which is a comically dated yet quaint and manageable airport.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've never had an issue with them. They're brightly lit, the seats are fairly comfortable, there are some rows with better legroom (unlike say the CRJ-200) and there are bathrooms at the front and rear. Plus it's Horizon so...free beer!

I've flown these RNO-LAX when AS had them and EWR-RDU on UA when they had them, both are overn an hour, and both flights were good.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
and there are bathrooms at the front and rear.
Just at the front on the Horizon models, sadly, though most flights are too short for it to really matter.

The lower altitude makes for some amazing landscape views out the window when the weather's clear across the mountains on SEA-YYC and similar routes.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL
It's really not bad. I'd take 40 mins in a Q400 vs. 3 hours in a prius any day. Seats are comfy and like @char777 said walking on the apron is wicked fun.

Just flew last week PDX-SEA and we were told the flight was going to be very bumpy, I think we were in the air 30 mins and it was just fine. Also one of the smoothest landings I've ever experienced.

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:59 pm

Dear God(s), not this again. "OMG OMG, I have to ride a Q400 for the 100 miles from Portland to Eugene".

As for turbulence, the amount of turbulence you feel is not based on the size of the aircraft, but the wing-loading, which is weight divided by wing area.

Q400 (at max weight): 29500kg / 64m2 = 461kg / m2
737-800 (at max weight): 79000kg / 125m2 = 632kg / m2

So only after you do this math can you say one will be more turbulent than the other.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.