Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What determines whether FAs work in Y or F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I've noticed on some of my recent flights an interesting trend--it seems that what appear to be the older FAs tend to be working in Y while the younger FAs work F which usually means the F passengers get the FA that was hired more recently.

Perhaps AS Flyer could easily answer this, but how do the FAs determine who is going to work in which cabin? Do they get to decide among themselves when they show up for the flight? Is it based on seniority (as it would seem)?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I believe it is seniority, but when you have a reserve FA filling in they are filling in for a person. I had an FA working F on her second ever flight with Alaska because she was on reserve and filliing in for the person who was supposed to work F.

Neil
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
They bid for certain positions. Seniority lets them pick which they want when they bid. So if they prefer F, they'll work F, but if they don't want to, then they'll select Y.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:21 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Many FAs Iv talks to have many different preferences depending on length of flight and time of day. Some say they'd rather be in Y and some say F. From what I have seen and heard I think I'd rather be in F. Each has upsides and downsides b I think Y has a lot more angry or frustrated p pole to cope with
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS
Last few flights in F all seemed to be new hires. From reviewing oven time and temp with Y FA in forward jump seat to asking FA from aft galley how to get their kids on "correct" list for free flights.
F seems to be least attractive choice for "senior " FA. ( at least in our experience on west coast flights).
AS Flyer do you have any insight into this subject?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:09 pm

Yes to what has previously been said. Positions are bid by seniority. Reserves cover sick calls and illegalities.

In general at Alaska first class is generally seen as less desirable than working coach. Thinking back in my last 6 months of flights, only once was there someone senior to me working first. Today the person up there was 10 years junior to me. Usually that person is a couple years to 10 years below me in seniority.

Most people have their favorite position(s) and will only bid those positions. I start my bids by blocking the front position. There are people who prefer it, but probably fewer than those who don't.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:20 pm

There's a saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". It's especially appropriate when applied to the job of Flight Attendant. Some people prefer working red-eyes, some people like doing "turns" so they can be home at night, some people like early morning check-ins. There's not a general statement one could make when speaking to which seniority prefers working in First Class. Everybody seems to like different things. Obviously, reserve FA's will fill in for whomever calls in sick, whatever their seniority may be, so you'll see reserve FA's working in First Class.

As for myself, I don't typically work in First Class, though I'm not opposed to on occasion. As a rule, I don't like to do it frequently. My seniority is in the top 1/3rd overall if that helps.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
There's a saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". It's especially appropriate when applied to the job of Flight Attendant. Some people prefer working red-eyes, some people like doing "turns" so they can be home at night, some people like early morning check-ins. There's not a general statement one could make when speaking to which seniority prefers working in First Class. Everybody seems to like different things. Obviously, reserve FA's will fill in for whomever calls in sick, whatever their seniority may be, so you'll see reserve FA's working in First Class.

As for myself, I don't typically work in First Class, though I'm not opposed to on occasion. As a rule, I don't like to do it frequently. My seniority is in the top 1/3rd overall if that helps.
OK, your response begs the question: why? Is there something about the duties that makes coach more preferable than first, or are the customers easier to work with in coach than in first? Come on, you can be honest; you're among friends.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
OK, your response begs the question: why? Is there something about the duties that makes coach more preferable than first, or are the customers easier to work with in coach than in first? Come on, you can be honest; you're among friends.
+1
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
hahaha. Yes, just me and 20,305,184 of my closest friends on the interwebs.

Honestly, it's just personal preference. It can be a variety of things. It's hard to name just one thing. We all have our own reasons.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Being related to a couple of FAs (in the top 1/3 of the top 1/3 of the top 1/3 in seniority), I know it really depends on the time of day, the route, (who they are flying with), and what the current service levels are.

F has gone back and forth in the level of service and complexity. Also, the FA in F is also "in charge" and gets some additional responsibility and more pay. That trade off plays in as well. Some just don't want the extra stress if anything does go wrong or there's an issue in the cabin or a delay. They also have to make the announcement, and I'm sure some love that and some hate it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Do FA's have more trouble with F than Y? F too demanding? I am curious because for the most part I have only observed F pax being very polite to the FA even when the service level isn't great (rare). I would think Y is tougher with infrequent flyers who are crabby because they are smashed together.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
Do FA's have more trouble with F than Y? F too demanding? I am curious because for the most part I have only observed F pax being very polite to the FA even when the service level isn't great (rare). I would think Y is tougher with infrequent flyers who are crabby because they are smashed together.
You can have cranky fliers in both cabins, or you can have happy fliers in both cabins. I think it's all in how you approach the passenger. That said, some people are just cranky no matter where they are and I choose not to take that personally, which helps greatly.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Some of the FAs I've seen working in the F cabin seem to enjoy having the opportunity to get to know very frequent flyers by name. (Of course, it could just be courtesy to good customers, but...I got the sense that they enjoyed that part of their jobs.)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kufat
Some of the FAs I've seen working in the F cabin seem to enjoy having the opportunity to get to know very frequent flyers by name. (Of course, it could just be courtesy to good customers, but...I got the sense that they enjoyed that part of their jobs.)
They probably do enjoy that part of their jobs. I don't necessarily enjoy working the F cabin, but there are people that bid it exclusively and people that bid away from it exclusively. I really like working in the main cabin. I like talking to the people and learning about the people I'm spending time with. Sometimes that interaction is brief, other times it's longer. I don't find the people in Coach to be crabby for the most part - no more than the people in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.