Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Horizon E175 Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Horizon E175 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
They could prioritize SFO/SJC and put E175s on PDX-OAK at the same time. 3x E175s to OAK is no addition of capacity. It would be a perfectly logical, conservative thing to do if they want to give people a reason to choose AS over WN. Spending a lot of money on advertising in the East Bay and then not offering a competitive product at the East Bay's airport seems like not an ideal business strategy. But as I said above, that's their prerogative just like it's my prerogative to complain about it.
You could just fly Southwest, right? If the issue is what you deem to be a non-competitive product, then that's probably the most effective way to get Alaska's attention.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon
You could just fly Southwest, right? If the issue is what you deem to be a non-competitive product, then that's probably the most effective way to get Alaska's attention.
I do when Alaska is priced $50+ higher, but unfortunately Southwest doesn't have the ~6:30 am PDX-OAK flight that is most convenient for me. They move their schedules around much more than AS; this summer there's a 5:20 flight (too early) and 7:20 flight (too late for getting into the office for me). I am doing a 6:05 am PDX-OAK leg in a couple weeks; I never saw the AS flight drop below $149, while WN was $63 (and AS PDX-SFO/SJC was $63). I won't pay $90 more to be on the Q400.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by bofc
Just read that the E175 will be assigned to the Seattle to San Luis Obisbo route. But the PDX - OAK flights are still the old, loud, slow, crammed, wait-for-your-carry-on-bags-in-the-PDX-rain, no-water-in-the-bathroom-sink Q400s. Come on Alaska, San Luis Obisbo? Really? How about throwing Oakland a bone and bring back jet service?
SCC-ANC, 627 miles. I'll take grabbing a carry on in the rain over grabbing a carry on in 30 below with a 30 mph wind on the slope.

It can always be worse.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I do when Alaska is priced $50+ higher, but unfortunately Southwest doesn't have the ~6:30 am PDX-OAK flight that is most convenient for me. They move their schedules around much more than AS; this summer there's a 5:20 flight (too early) and 7:20 flight (too late for getting into the office for me). I am doing a 6:05 am PDX-OAK leg in a couple weeks; I never saw the AS flight drop below $149, while WN was $63 (and AS PDX-SFO/SJC was $63). I won't pay $90 more to be on the Q400.
So Horizon apparently scores better on consistency of schedule, and sometimes in convenience of schedule. And in my experience, AS prices from Oakland frequently match those from the rest of the Bay Area, even if they don't every time. Overall, it sounds like Horizon's product is reasonably competitive. I'm sure they'll get some other aircraft eventually, but in such a heavily Southwest-dominated airport, I can see why OAK-PDX hasn't been made a priority.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
It's only temporary (at the moment) but PDX-OAK goes all E175 for the month of July. Essentially the same schedule.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by SOCguy
It's only temporary (at the moment) but PDX-OAK goes all E175 for the month of July. Essentially the same schedule.
Hallelujah! All that complaining finally paid off. Hopefully the temporaryness is only temporary. It'd be pretty mean to just give us a one month taste and then go back to the Q400 for another year.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz 5*
Has anyone heard anything on RNO? It sure would be nice if the E175's flew there. That flight is way too long to be sitting on a cramped prop jet.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Calculon
So Horizon apparently scores better on consistency of schedule, and sometimes in convenience of schedule. And in my experience, AS prices from Oakland frequently match those from the rest of the Bay Area, even if they don't every time. Overall, it sounds like Horizon's product is reasonably competitive. I'm sure they'll get some other aircraft eventually, but in such a heavily Southwest-dominated airport, I can see why OAK-PDX hasn't been made a priority.
Of note, of DL's 10 SEA dailies to the Bay Area, a whopping zero of them are to OAK. Make of that what you will regarding the relative importance of OAK to SJC and SFO for other carriers.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Was just looking at a potential flight booking this fall and saw that MKE-SEA is switching to Horizon. Not that there is a huge difference, but the slightly better service will be nice on one of the longest flights the Alaska E175s operate on.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Was just looking at a potential flight booking this fall and saw that MKE-SEA is switching to Horizon. Not that there is a huge difference, but the slightly better service will be nice on one of the longest flights the Alaska E175s operate on.
You'll be seeing more of this as more E175s come on property at QX. SEA-ICT, SEA-OKC and PDX-MCI are a few more that QX will pick up this fall. That said, with both OO and QX flying the E175, market swaps back and forth will happen with different schedule changes for the foreseeable future.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by SOCguy

Fantastic news. I wonder why it would be for just one month. Hey, better than what we've had on this route so I'll take it.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by bofc
Fantastic news. I wonder why it would be for just one month. Hey, better than what we've had on this route so I'll take it.
Seems unlikely to be directly related, but the one OAK-SEA E175 run ends June 30 and restarts Aug 1-26 [I don't know what else that plane is scheduled to do all day]. All 737 otherwise. Hopefully this is still being worked out and the E175 will be permanent on OAK-PDX. It'd be weird to run it just one month and then go back to Q400 full time.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seems unlikely to be directly related, but the one OAK-SEA E175 run ends June 30 and restarts Aug 1-26 [I don't know what else that plane is scheduled to do all day]. All 737 otherwise. Hopefully this is still being worked out and the E175 will be permanent on OAK-PDX. It'd be weird to run it just one month and then go back to Q400 full time.
Well they need a route for pilots to get hours in ^

And the 737's might be deployed on other routes for peak summer travel.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
E175 teething issues?

Just boarded N182SY for ICT and the rear lav is inop. (will be exciting). Sounds like they've been having issues.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just boarded N182SY for ICT and the rear lav is inop. (will be exciting). Sounds like they've been having issues.
ICT is up and running? Wow, usually there is a thread about the inaugural flight with photos and trip reports....that one must have snuck by FTers

I got a chance to fly the E175 from SEA-FAT the other day and I agree with others, it's a great aircraft...good legroom in F and Y and the AS Beyond worked great, just like being on the 737. The only thing I noticed was how high the windows were, so much so that it was more difficult to see down when you're in the air, especially for the aisle person like myself. I was traveling with my kids and the excitement and view of sitting at the window was a little obstructed by the height of the windows. The only time the view is better with higher windows seems to be when you're on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.