Wiki Posts
Search

Bank Emirates miles with Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Bank Emirates miles with Alaska

I'm really new to Emirates/Alaska.

So, I've been hearing you can bank Emirates miles on Alaska. But I've also heard that you only get 50% of the miles. Does anyone know more about it?

Also, if I transfer my miles to Alaska, will that mean I won't qualify for the silver skywards status?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Almost universally, you can't transfer miles from one program to another. What you can do in this case is earn Alaska miles instead of Emirates miles for your trips on Emirates.

Discounted economy fares on Emirates earn 50% of miles flown when crediting to Alaska Mileage Plan. Full-fare economy earns 100%, business class 125%, and first class 150%. See https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi.../emirates.aspx.

Likewise, if you're earning Alaska miles instead of Emirates miles, you'll earn credit towards Alaska status instead of Emirates status.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puls
Almost universally, you can't transfer miles from one program to another. What you can do in this case is earn Alaska miles instead of Emirates miles for your trips on Emirates.

Discounted economy fares on Emirates earn 50% of miles flown when crediting to Alaska Mileage Plan. Full-fare economy earns 100%, business class 125%, and first class 150%. See https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi.../emirates.aspx.

Likewise, if you're earning Alaska miles instead of Emirates miles, you'll earn credit towards Alaska status instead of Emirates status.
Oh thank you for clarifying. I'm currently located in HKG. I'll only travel for pleasure to Europe probably 2-3 times a year. Would it be worthwhile to transfer miles to Alaska or Emirates? I will only be flying economy. The pro of Emirates would be the use of the lounge after making 25,000. But, would I be able to easily "match" that if I go with Alaska?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by anythursday
Oh thank you for clarifying. I'm currently located in HKG. I'll only travel for pleasure to Europe probably 2-3 times a year. Would it be worthwhile to transfer miles to Alaska or Emirates? I will only be flying economy. The pro of Emirates would be the use of the lounge after making 25,000. But, would I be able to easily "match" that if I go with Alaska?
I don't think you quite understand this. When flying you get to choose which program you credit, Alaska or Emirates. It is a one time choice each flight. There is no transfer involved. If you choose to credit your 25,000 partner miles to Alaska you will not get lounge privileges on Emirates, nor can you transfer those miles later to Emirates to get lounge privileges.

Alaska Airlines is probably not a good choice for someone based in HKG and primarily traveling to Europe on Emirates and wishing to redeem on Emirates, given the very high Emirates redemption levels now implemented and an inability to redeem on Emirates for itineraries that do not touch the United States- you could redeem for Hong Kong-New York but not London. You WOULD have the ability to redeem for Cathay Pacific to Europe, but Alaska is a program intended primarily for people flying an airline based in the USA. There are some severe limitations on using it outside the USA.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 27, 2016 at 8:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.