Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Miles posted to BA instead of AS - fixable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

BA operated flights, SEA-LHR-PMI. Reservation was originally booked on BA.com and had BA executive number in it. At the gate, when verifying passport, asked agent to change program to AS and provided AS MP number. Received new BP showing AS number. But miles posted to BA anyway.

Is this fixable? If so, do I need to get BA to unpost the credits first and then submit the boarding passes to AS for credit, or can I submit the BP straight to AS (one of them has the smaller tag showing the AS MP number, the other one had it removed at boarding time) and request credit. Not looking for double credit (AS+BA) of course, but the flight is eligible for double AS miles and will get traveler to MVP status.

Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
BA operated flights, SEA-LHR-PMI. Reservation was originally booked on BA.com and had BA executive number in it. At the gate, when verifying passport, asked agent to change program to AS and provided AS MP number. Received new BP showing AS number. But miles posted to BA anyway.

Is this fixable? If so, do I need to get BA to unpost the credits first and then submit the boarding passes to AS for credit, or can I submit the BP straight to AS (one of them has the smaller tag showing the AS MP number, the other one had it removed at boarding time) and request credit. Not looking for double credit (AS+BA) of course, but the flight is eligible for double AS miles and will get traveler to MVP status.

Thanks!
I'd want BA to unpost the credits first. Otherwise...

- mail BPs to AS
- AS looks up the record/ticket and sees you've already credited to BA
- sad trombone sound

AS isn't going to unpost your BA miles for you...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Thanks!
This has happened to me. Mail the BPs into Alaska and they will credit you. Don't bother trying to get BA to un-credit.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
This has happened to me. Mail the BPs into Alaska and they will credit you. Don't bother trying to get BA to un-credit.
Did you end up double-dipping?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Best to get these sorts of changes done before day of departure, not at the airport or the gate. Most airlines use a departure control system that's different than the res system.

You never know where these things get posted from, so changing things in the DCS may not update the res. Best to change them in the res well before checkin. That will always flow down into the DCS.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by channa
Best to get these sorts of changes done before day of departure, not at the airport or the gate. Most airlines use a departure control system that's different than the res system.

You never know where these things get posted from, so changing things in the DCS may not update the res. Best to change them in the res well before checkin. That will always flow down into the DCS.
Looks like the AS number didn't make it into the reservation; for the return trip the BPs still showed BA's executive club number. Changed at the airport again; suspect it won't do us much good, though.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Did you end up double-dipping?
That's how it ended up. I had bags to check so while I was at the check-in, I made sure the BA gate agents at both ends entered the AS FF# and asked to override the BA #,which they appeared to do. AS # appeared on the BPs. It took me some time and effort to mail the BPS off to AS to get it all put straight so I figured I'd put enough effort into correcting BAs problem.

These were paid J class tix Canada to Germany rtn so it made quite a difference to MP balance and status the following year.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's how it ended up. I had bags to check so while I was at the check-in, I made sure the BA gate agents at both ends entered the AS FF# and asked to override the BA #,which they appeared to do. AS # appeared on the BPs. It took me some time and effort to mail the BPS off to AS to get it all put straight so I figured I'd put enough effort into correcting BAs problem.

These were paid J class tix Canada to Germany rtn so it made quite a difference to MP balance and status the following year.
And I bet some nice Avios to burn on AS flights as well.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:01 am

Smile

And I bet some nice Avios to burn on AS flights as well.
Well there is that.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I thought only unicorns could do this?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I thought only unicorns could do this?
Unicorns and ancient legacy IT systems with decades of spaghetti logic.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
This just happened to me with my BA operated flight but AA credited it. Did you advise emailing or snail mailing the boarding pass with the AS number on it?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
- mail BPs to AS
- AS looks up the record/ticket and sees you've already credited to BA
- sad trombone sound
Au contraire! Happy rising slide whistle sound!!!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I've gotten BA to unpost. It does require you write a signed letter to them. A pain in the rear, but the proper thing to do.
To avoid the issue, make sure your AS # is put in BEFORE they check you in. Tell the agent (and repeat it more than once) to not check you in before.
It's a pain, but that's the right procedure to follow if you want your miles credited straight to AS without a mess.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
This just happened to me with my BA operated flight but AA credited it. Did you advise emailing or snail mailing the boarding pass with the AS number on it?

Thanks!
OP here. I scanned the BP with the AS number and emailed it in. Received credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.