Search

Do 75K's Fly More Than FA's?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Do 75K's Fly More Than FA's?

I'm on a SEA-LAS flight and was sitting in my coach seat which I had SDC, when I saw on the upgrade list I got cleared.

I clicked the FA call button to ask if I could start moving stuff up to F before the bins were full. She asked me how I knew I was upgraded, and I showed her on the app. Then she said "oh you 75kers know everything. You guys fly more than us!" I then proceeded to ask her if she was serious. We then proceeded to have a conversation about the topic. She said easily 75ker's fly more than them, and asked if I was serious. What?

Now with so much transcon service, Hawaii, and Mexico, that would really surprise me if they didn't do more than 75k a year.

Do 75kers really fly more than FA's? I would find that hard to believe.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
I had a flight attendant make that same remark to me before, as well. However, I think that flight attendants fly *way* more than 75K's.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcarovano
I had a flight attendant make that same remark to me before, as well. However, I think that flight attendants fly *way* more than 75K's.
Yeah I guess they would have no idea as they'd have no reason to keep track. Then again, some of us who do smash the 75k mark, and hit the 90+ on the partners... Maybe?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
It's the fare class! They're earning 0% EQMs on their flights.

75,000 miles is "just" 3 one-way transcons per month, averaged over the whole year, or 6-7 one-ways on SEA-LAX a month. I'd imagine any full-time FA blasts far past those numbers.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kieron
It's the fare class! They're earning 0% EQMs on their flights.

75,000 miles is "just" 3 one-way transcons per month, averaged over the whole year, or 6-7 one-ways on SEA-LAX a month. I'd imagine any full-time FA blasts far past those numbers.
Good point. How much mileage do you think AS FA's fly yearly?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS G75K
I just flew my 103rd segment of the year all AS/QX. Some of the QX folks fly that many segs a month doing the WA/PDX routes. Distance wise, I can't imagine any full time FAs fly less. I would believe that they don't have much experience with the consumer facing apps/features though.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The one I had the discussion in coach with acted as if it wasn't even close and actually asked IF I WAS SERIOUS. I flat out asked the First Class FA, she said a full time FA flies just short of 30,000 a month.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I know that there is no such thing as a silly question, but this one is in the neighborhood.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Eh, it was kind of just curious question.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had them say this before

Some weeks it feels like I'm up in the air more often. Especially when running into the same FA's
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa

Some weeks it feels like I'm up in the air more often. Especially when running into the same FA's
Try running in to the same FAs on the same route for several months.

And to answer the OP's question, FAs fly way, way more miles per year, but it wouldn't surprise me if some commuters beat them on segments, especially if the FA is senior, doesn't work a lot and flies high time turns.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The remark ought to be seen as a little bit of hyperbole to flatter and make conversation.

The MIT Airline Data Project shows block hours (door closed to door open) for FAs. On AS in 2015 it averaged 40.8 hours per month. With average speed depressed by taxiing and climb, call it 15,000 miles per month. Do a few flyers rack up more than 15,000 miles a month, AS-metal only? Probably. Average FA to average 75K flyer, though , it's not even close.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2...nes%20Employee
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Try running in to the same FAs on the same route for several months.
I did consecutive day PDX-LAX MR's with immediate turns. 3/4 & 4/4 FA's were the same on both trips. One was on all four. I felt kind of embarrassed for being a weirdo. Anyways, just doing a simple set like that for 4-5 days a week would be well past 75K qualification.

Interesting data sets on that MIT site. Thanks for the link!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the MIT link, fascinating.

Working with your 15k miles per month number that's 180/year, which really isn't that much. But even rounding off to 200k per year, there are some fliers who beat that handily - I already have this year.

The one advantage flyers have is that we don't have duty hours, you can just keep stringing stuff together.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Thanks for the MIT link, fascinating.

Working with your 15k miles per month number that's 180/year, which really isn't that much. But even rounding off to 200k per year, there are some fliers who beat that handily - I already have this year.

The one advantage flyers have is that we don't have duty hours, you can just keep stringing stuff together.
Of course FA's fly that much. It says so on the Internet,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.